Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Assets - what do you put there?  (Read 173 times)

Offline Linda RTopic starter

Assets - what do you put there?
« on: July 30, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
I am curious, what kinds of things do you put in assets?  I haven't quite figured this out yet.  Thanks!

Offline MaryLou

Re: Assets - what do you put there?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:22:17 PM »
The Assets!  Well, that's where you can store all your little goodies so you can pull them out and use them again.... sort of like the idea of tubes.  You can make categories within the Assets tab.  Here's a sample of mine - as you can see I have a category for hats, one for Logos, one for Shapes, etc.  I've got a ton of them.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:06:18 AM »
when you make something and want to save it make sure you Group all the pieces
then when you save them in your assets they stay grouped ..if you forget  each teeny piece is saved individually  :thud: oh my god. i have done this so many times  :laugh8:

the really good thing about the assets is.... it saves as vector so you can drag your item out of the assets and then change each and every node or colour or effect. ohhhhh yeaaaa...

as you can see i have been collecting swirls ...lol   a girl can never have enough swirly whirlies .

Offline Linda2

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 02:27:29 AM »
I am , by far, the least organized person ever.....but as I am creating a character or cartoon type image that I love to do, I sometimes start a new category and save the bits and pieces as I go along.  I have gotten way into doing something and gone back and started changing this item or that.....sometimes it works and other times I am frustrated and unhappy with how it looks so I go back into the assets and pull out the first ones I did. Doing this has saved me many times from totally scrapping the whole thing.  And if I particularly like how a mouth or an eye, or something else looks I can also go back and use those same items in something else.  I also save these type items on an external drive....just in case.  I remember as we were beta testing AD and before that using DrawPlus I had a good many items stored only in the Assets and we had a brand new beta that totally wiped all that out.  That was my fault for putting so much I would like to have kept only in the program.  Lesson learned , so now I store it in other places as well. I find the Assets panel to be really handy. Here is a sample of one of my recent ones:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:16:08 PM »
I usually keep little things that I use often of might want to use but I also have copies on my hard drive.   I like that you can have vectors and non-vectors as well stored in the Assets.  I think Ulead's Easy Palette was so much better but... we have to move on from time to time!

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
 :thanks02: MaryLou, Teejay and Linda!  This helps!   :stars:

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
I put a few things in my assets this week, like the flowers I made.  Thought I was doing good!  But when I put the rose in I forgot to group it.  So in the process of trying to delete all the parts, I managed to delete everything  :oops:  :thud:  At least I had them all saved in other files!   :laugh2:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 12:26:38 AM »
 :thud:  we live and learn...and yep i have done that too.... :hamster:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
Linda, don't feel badly, we've all done the exact same thing.  It's called a Learning Experience!  :yes01: :yes01:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)