Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: I'm stuck already!  (Read 45 times)

Offline MarilynTopic starter

I'm stuck already!
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
I'm sure I must be doing something really silly but I am attempting the octopus tute from Frankentoon. I am trying to 'add' the legs to the body to make it one shape rather than a 'group' of shapes, if this makes sense. When I try using the add function, my poor octopus has very peculiar legs!  :help01:

Offline Lynn

Re: I'm stuck already!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »
After reading your post, I opened AD, made a body shape, then made 4 tentacle shapes. I made them all the same color. I went to Layers and expanded the stroke.  I used the Move Tool to select the body, then held down Shift and clicked on each of the tentacles. When I had them all selected I clicked on Add, which was lit as a active choice, and the tentacles were added to my body shape.

So, I didn't have a problem. And I have no idea why your tentacles would not add properly. Sorry I am not of help.

Offline Linda R

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
Did you do layer, expand stroke, for each of the legs?  If you don't, they go weird.  I did the same thing when I did mine.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Blimey, I think I possibly messed up the expand stroke bit. I seem to remember doing something with it but I need to try again.
I knew it must be something silly! I will have another attempt when I am back on my computer.
Thankyou so much.

You are  :praise70:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 11:25:07 PM »
Did you group your legs together cos the layer/expand stroke does not work correctly on grouped strokes..
You can select all your legs at once if you wish ..and expand stroke as long as you dont group them.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 04:41:55 AM »
Teejay - I was just about to have another go with this but thought I would look here first!
And yes, I believe I did group them first! You are a gem! Armed with that, I am off to fight another fight!  :laugh8: :stars:

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »
I finally worked this out after several attempts.
I have posted the finished image in the Show and Tell area, but now thinking I should have posted it here to finish the thread. Sorry!  :thud:
I finally worked out that it was indeed the 'expand stroke' command that was missing from my workflow and  was needed to achieve the result I personally wanted.
I thought I was expanding the stroke just by thickening it in the stroke panel, I should have read Linn's reply more thoroughly!
Thanks again, everyone!  :stars:

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!