Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Using Bitmap Fill Patterns  (Read 567 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Using Bitmap Fill Patterns
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:23:21 PM »
Seems Affinity is good at hiding things!  The question asked was, can we use our bitmap images as fill patterns.

The answer is definitely YES!!

Click on the Fill tool on the tool bar. Then look at the Context menu where it says Type and click the down-arrow to display the menu.  Select Bitmap.  Then navigate to where you store your bitmaps on your computer and pick what you want to use.

You can then use the handles on the Fill tool to adjust the pattern. 

RobertH.

Re: Using Bitmap Fill Patterns
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:10:03 AM »
I have used this in AD and think it is pretty slick!

How do you create bitmap galleries like in DP?

Offline Grethe

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:00:46 AM »
Agree with you, Robert. I think we have to wait and see for the moment and HOPE!

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
OOps!!!  No galleries - sorry about that!  I was thinking "assets".   You really don't need galleries anyway.  I have ALL of my various fill patterns in my Documents folder and separated by type. It's a lot easier to access them that way because I don't have to keep loading that stuff into the program.

In DP, it was a bit of a pain to add just one or two tiles to the Bitmaps.   But, with AD, there's no loading of all those thumbs.. no need for them when you can access ALL of them on your hard drive.   I like this method better.  I have about 30 folders of bitmaps so it's kind of nice not having to load them into the program. Direct access saves a lot of memory. 

Another good thing about using the files directly from your hard drive is, you can use photos and anything else you want as a bitmap.  That's what I did with the one below.  Just made a rounded rectangle, then clicked the Fill tool, found a photo and inserted it. 

Offline Teejay

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
awesome way of using the bitmaps
i prefer to use the patterns straight from my pc  no messing about ...and all my patterns are in one place for ALL my programs .much better.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »
Me too.  When you put them into the program, it's a whole lot of extra work. This makes the program a lot "slimmer" too!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:49:49 PM »
i have only today learned you can use a bitmap on a stroke/line... i couldnt work out how to do it

if you have the fill tool selected
then click the fill box and  the stroke option drops down...  then you can get the Type and the bitmap option... i bet you knew that didnt you ...but i didnt and found it today  by accident...lol

Offline Nicky

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »
:thanks06: Teejay saved this info.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:50:43 PM »
lol yes i hope i remember it too i come to the how to's first when i am in need...lol

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
Well, who would have thought that!  I started to say that I've never used a fill on a line but that would be wrong because I have! 

Here's one I just now did... I used a wide line, then used a fill pattern...  worked like a charm!!

Offline Nicky

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
 :wow3: this is so pretty.

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:50:08 AM »
TYPE = DONE DEAD BLANK
its a funny thing, but i dont remember becoming absent-minded

Offline Margaret

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
Great tip TJ. Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »
Thanks, Nicky. As you can see, I used my Pumpkin coach as a fill pattern for the line then added some 3D.  Easy peasy!!
 :chickdance:

Offline Ava

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
I have discovered how to add my bitmap patterns, etc and thought I would share how.

1.   Click where I have put the top circle and when you get the drop down , click - add application  palette

2.   Click in the same place again and when you get the drop down, click - rename palette

3.   Click where my lower circle is (beside the texture bar) to add your pattern, etc. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!