Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Using Pressure Profiles  (Read 642 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Using Pressure Profiles
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:02:37 PM »
As you know, you cannot save your Pressure Profiles like you do other things such as the Assets.  You can only save them for the document where you create them.

I posted on the Affinity forum to ask if this was intentional or if it is a bug.  The response was a work-around from Albert which I rather like.

Create a document with your preferred profiles, save the profiles in the document, then save the document.  You can then open the document with the profiles at any time, then create a new document (or open another existing document).  To apply your favorite profile, switch to the page with the profiles, Ctrl+C to copy the one you want, then back to your new document and Paste Style.

So, I think this will work for us. It saves cluttering up the AppData files with a lot of little pressure profiles. 

I can see where this would keep the program size down by not adding more baggage to it.

Offline San

Re: Using Pressure Profiles
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
that is a neat idea.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 03:42:39 PM »
i like it ... mmmmmmmmmm i will try this with the artboards...they are easier to handle.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »
I haven't gotten to the art boards yet - Am elbow deep in caulk!  Yuk!!

RobertH.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 01:20:44 PM »
Good idea MaryLou. I have an alternate idea.

I created a document and saved it as a template. I chose my favorite size and resolution for the document. I created a bunch of pressure profiles. Then I saved the document and gave it a unique name that would identify it as my template.

Every time I open AD, I go to file>open recent documents and open the template file. If I need a different size, resolution, color profile, etc., you can go to document properties and change it now. Then I immediately do file>save as so I don't mess up my template.

Now you have all the pressure profiles you previously saved loaded up and ready to go anytime you go to the strokes pressure thing. No having to copy>paste from another document is a great time saver imho. If you create a new pressure setting, you do have to open your template document and recreate it there and save the file. After awhile you will probably have most all the pressure profiles you would ever need. This might work with other things in AD too, like maybe the artboards.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
Robert, I tried that but... the problem is, even though you load the template with the pressure presets, when you switch to the document you're working on, they are not available.  I have to copy them, then paste the style on the document I'm working withl.

RobertH.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »
MaryLou, I'm not sure you understood what I said in part of the previous post. 1)I open the template 2) I do a file save as 3) Now I have my template safe for next time and I am effectively working in a copy of the template. The working document has the pressure profiles saved in it so I don't have to copy and paste at all. The pressure profiles are already there. Click on strokes. Click on pressure...booooom...every profile you have saved is there. The only problem is if you want to save a new profile. Then you have to copy it from the document you are working in and save it in the template document that is closed, so that the new pressure profile will be available the next time you start a new project.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 07:41:36 PM »
OH, I see what you mean.  You basically open the template, save it using a different name. That way you have all the profiles in the document.   This is how we write our tutorials.  We open the template, then save it using the name of our tutorial. 

That's a pretty good idea, that way, you always have the various pressure presets when you want them.  :yes03: :yes03:

RobertH.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 08:17:26 PM »
Now ya got it! I finally explained it well enough for you to understand! :laugh8:

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 08:33:51 PM »
The missing words were in how you saved it.  If you had said you saved it using a different name, I might have caught on sooner!!  But hey, I've got a great excuse.. I'm old and right now I'm tired, and I'm hungry!!   Can't be expected to think under those circumstances!   :cancan: :cancan: :cancan:

RobertH.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
Glad you got it and hope it helps with your work flow. Old don't count, but tired and hungry will work.  :laugh1:

RobertH.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
Hey...unrelated question. Why are you and others moderator one day and administrator another day?  :question2: I've noticed it changing fairly frequently.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »
Really?  As far as I know, it never changes. If you should see it again, please take a screen capture because it could be a problem.

RobertH.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »
Ok, will do.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »
It is possible that you might be seeing either me or Teejay as a moderator in the AD area or the PP area but only in the because we actually ARE moderators in those forms.  You shouldn't see anyone else as a moderator though.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!