Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Selecting a Color from Outside AD ~ Lynn  (Read 270 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Selecting a Color from Outside AD ~ Lynn
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »
I think it was MaryLou who recently mentioned that we could select a color from outside AD dragging the dropper from the Color Panel. I had not been aware of that. It will save me loads of time! Thank you!

Offline San

Re: Selecting a Color from Outside AD ~ Lynn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:58:53 PM »
I have done it and it works great.

But it is a pity when I have an image opened in the work space and the eye dropper will not pick those colours I have to drag it onto the document to get the eyedropper to work.

But it selects off an image that is not opened in AD.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
Good points, San. I too would like to be able to sample colors off the drawing page.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »
Same here... cannot sample a color when it's off the document. This is a bug because you can sample anywhere else on the screen and outside of the screen.  It needs to be reported.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 02:40:47 AM »
you can sample colours at the moment  if you use art boards.

i know you should be able to sample the way you want it
i know you want it to be like drawplus ...well this  is the nearest to it

This is how i do it (there is another way but i find this the easiest)

create your New canvas .... and at any time you need your image sample ...even without using your new canvas ...

click on the art board icon in the drawing toolbar and then you will see the insert art board option on the context menu...click it

the only change you will see is your new canvas will have art.board 1 at the top left.

now with the Art board tool drag another box out next to the one you have

then go to the 'Place image Tool and browse to your image click it  and drag that image out onto your Art board2
I used the Art Board Tool to move the eye to the right...you can move it anywhere you wish.

and you can have as many art boards as you wish and where ever you want.

Notice there is a faint frame around art board 3 (the left one) that is because i zoomed into the eye and only wanted the eye.

there are many more reasons to use art boards

if you drew out a fancy box  in art board 1 you could make the bow in art board 2 and DRAG  IT INTO art board one  :yes03:

yep you can drag and swap add and delete ...sample and make ...yeeeeeeeeehawwwwww

i love em.... get with it and get art boarding there is nothing hard or fancy about them...

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:39:40 PM »
Teejay, I haven't been able to wrap my head around artboards yet.  I don't see a purpose for them although I'm sure there is.  Maybe there's a Serif tut somewhere that explains it?

Regardless, we should be able to sample a color anywhere. I'm going to report this as a bug.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
yes i agree it is a big bug..

Offline San

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
I have not used art board yet but it looks as you know what to do with art board. I am going to have a look at this when I have some time. 
I find it is just as easy to drag the image on to the document to get a colour.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
San, when my reference image is too big to share space on the drawing comfortably, I have found that capturing a small area with the snipping tool and placing it on the drawing temporarily works for me. Then I can move on to a new capture of the next area I am referencing, and so it goes.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
I posted this on the bug forum.  Alfred seems to think it's a bug too.  If you watch the color codes change on the dropper, when it gets to the pasteboard, it always says ,0,0,0 for the RGB values even though the color in the magnifying glass shows the color you're hovering over.

He agrees that it's a bug.  The dropper should sample the color no matter where you move it on your entire computer screen.

Offline Lin

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 02:31:31 PM »
I always pick colors from off AD, like on a tut, if I can't seem to get the right color, I'll go over to the tut with the eyedropper from the materials and pick up their color, it always works for me

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!