Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: how to darken 1/2 of item  (Read 260 times)

Offline NickyTopic starter

how to darken 1/2 of item
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »
How do I darken 1/2 of an item to give shadow effect. In DP we duplicate the item , darken it and then cut away 1/2. Cannot make sense of a tut in AD re this  The tut is here and I am doing the tent.

http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-set-of-flat-hiking-icons-in-affinity-designer--cms-24202

RobertH.

Re: how to darken 1/2 of item
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »
I think Serif may have changed the way  to do a mask since that tutorial was written. If you have the rectangle above the tent duplicate layer and right click on the rectangle layer. Then select Mask to Below, I think you'll get the desired result.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 03:23:10 PM »
Nicky, I know how we did it in DrawPlus but haven't tried it in AD.  However, I do have a bit of spare time right now so will try the tut and see what I come up with.  Looks interesting!!  Be back later! :jumper:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »
Nicky, what she is doing is putting the rectangle inside the right side of the tent.  It works.. I just tried it.   I did have a problem the first time though but figured it out.

I think she leaves out a part though.  When you select the parts of the copy to group, don't select the "rope".  Select the two tent, tent door, bottom bar and the two posts.  Convert to curves. They will still be selected so click the Add icon to add them all together.  Just don't select the rope on the copy. 

Once you've done that, make the rectangle as stated. It will be on the top layer.  Drag that down to the grouped tent layer and it should go inside of that half of the tent.

If you still can't do it, I'll try and explain it another way.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
Thank you !!! It worked. I knew the rectangle had to go inside....but I was including the ropes!!!!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »
That's what I did because she said to select all of the tent and when I did, the shadow thing didn't work right at all.  So, I used my own method which turned out to be the same as hers minus the ropes.   Glad you got it sorted out!   :cancan: :cancan:

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 11:57:55 PM »
Learn an other way doing the packpack.

You use the crop tool . much easier.This is how you do after you duplicate the item and you want to add the shadow to half:
 take the Vector Crop Tool and cut off the left part of the shape. You actually donít destroy this shape and can always edit it with the Vector Crop Tool, as it works the same way as the Mask Layer, making part of the shape invisible.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 04:05:34 AM »
mmmmmmmm i went to bed early and missed all the fun...
i must have a look at both ways
i was going to post this as a project but there are so many things in it that she doesnt explain well... ...  you do learn a lot though if you stick with it.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 10:55:30 AM »
Nicky, using the crop tool is how we learned to do it in DrawPlus.   And yes, you can do it that way in this tut, but it sort of defeats the purpose of the the tut because they are showing us how to put things inside of other objects by putting them on a level below. 

On the other hand, using the crop tool is so much easier and you get the same results!  So, use whatever works best for you.  There will be plenty of time to learn how to do the new method once Affinity is released.  Either way, it's good practice and the more we do, the better we get!!  :cancan:

Teejay, I have only done the first one up to the point where Nicky got stuck and have to agree there are a few things left out here and there but... that's what makes us think.   :yes03:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »
yes  it definitely makes us think .... :yes03: :jumper:

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »
and yesterday my little grey cells were exausted.  :laugh8: :laugh8:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »
and yesterday my little grey cells were exausted.  :laugh8: :laugh8:

Hahahahaha......  that's how I feel most of the time!!!  I think my brain is running out of space!!!  It's amazing when one thinks about it though.  Just think, your brain retains every single thing you have ever thought of in your entire life!!  One day, science will figure out how to access that database and stuff will come pouring out all over the place! :laugh8:

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!