Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Basic question about "master" photographs  (Read 307 times)

Offline LaDonnaTopic starter

Basic question about "master" photographs
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »
Bill, This is such a basic question, that I'm thinking the answer should be obvious, and that I'm missing something. How are all of you working with this?

In PSP I would open my master copy of a photo, then shift/D to copy it. I could then see both versions of the photograph and would close my master copy and work with the duplicate. In AP I know I can duplicate the photo in the layers panel, but I want to be reassured that when I'm making changes, that Iím working with the copy and the original photo won't be affected. How can I go about doing this in AP? I donít want to be making a copy of a copy, etc.  Thanks

Offline Bill

Re: Basic question about "master" photographs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
LaDonna,, the way I do it is , open your photo then duplicate it,( ctrl j ) duplicates it,, look at the layers panel on right side, after you duplicate the original, you will see an other copy, just uncheck the original and work on the top layer of your photo, doing this does not change the original.  The original should be the bottom layer. Hope this helps you, Let me know. There is also other ways to do this. but I find the way I explained is the best and easiest way, you can also duplicate the original 2 times then delete the bottom layer which is your original photo   
Hugz Bill

Offline LaDonnaTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »
 :thanks06: Bill. That really helps.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
this isnt working for me i am doing something wrong

i open a png ...and i duplicate it twice in my layers (just to be safe) i delete my first image .. i now have 2 duplicates in my layers ..
i paint on them and use a few warpy things then i press save ... and it writes over my original . The one i deleted.

if i 'save as' i no longer have a png file i have an afphoto file which is ok but not what i want.

what am i doing wrong
this will save me a heap of time if i can get it to work... sorry bill i am as thick as a brick .... i cant work out why it isnt working. 

i usually use 'snapshots for this but it seemed easier this way until i couldnt do it ....pig drips and plop it alls.

Online MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »
Teejay, use File\Export just as you do in AD.   :chickdance:

Offline Bill

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 03:01:06 PM »
MaryLou, you are correct, when saving we need to use the export under the Files , like we do in AD, saving and saving as save in the AP format. the way they say in the AP videos, first we open the photo  and save it as a AP file. and then close all layers out and reopen the new AP file to work on. I will put the video up so all can view, it is sorta confusing, but works great doing it this way for photo's using AP.
Hugz Bill

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »
Here is a short video on opening and saving;

https://vimeo.com/173587661
 Please watch this video all the way thru , to help you take notes will help on the saving part
Hugz Bill

Online MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:20:35 PM »
I don't agree with that method at all.   He opens an image, then saves it as a .afphoto?  For what purpose?   I much prefer to open an image, duplicate it, then delete the original (the bottom layer - the one that's locked) leaving the copy to work on. 

Also,  better way to open your image is - if you have your file manager open, just drag the image into AP.  That's a whole lot faster if you feel the need for speed.    :chickdance:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 01:38:37 AM »
thanks bill and ML i will look at the video and see ...

Offline Bill

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 05:46:52 AM »
MaryLou, I agree with you doing the way he says in the video is a long way around, but the reason for saving it as a affinity file is so you do not mess up the original. But opening a photo and duplicate 2 times and then deleting the bottom layer which is the original unless you moved it. then go to File, Export as which file you want is the way to go
As far as opening a photo or image just hold the ctrl key down, and hit the j key, go to your folder were you have your files then double click on the image you want opened
Hugz Bill

Online MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
Bill, that still doesn't make sense to save it as an affinity file.  If you open your original, duplicate it one time, then close the original, there is no danger of messing up the original.   You end up with duplicate images with different file extenders.  The one saved as an affinity file is useless when it comes to ever opening it again in another program.  I want my originals in their original format - png or jpg. 

when you open your original, it is always on the bottom layer, and locked.  You can't do anything to it.  And you don't need to duplicate it twice. That doesn't make sense either. 

Simply open file, CTRL J to duplicate, delete the image in the Layers panel with the lock. Now you have the duplicate and the original is safe.  I don't think this guy thought it out very well.

I just tried your method of opening an image.  Held down CTRL key and pressed J and nothing happens.   The first time I tried it, nothing happened... then I realized I was in Designer!!  So, I opened Photo and tried it again... same result - nothing happens.

Offline Bill

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »
Yes I agree with you on the so much opening and saving, I do it like you do and that is the best way.too. I just did this I open the AP program hold ctrl key down hit o key and it goes to my photos and I double click on the photo I want open ,it then opens in AP work space, I then hold ctrl down hit the j key and it duplicates with no problem,I did 5 more times and I have dups in the layer panel, I have that problem in Adesigner and I have reported it and never got an answer reported 3 to 4 times sane results but works fine in APhoto
Oops, I just went to AD and open a photo and did a ctrl j it duplicates fine
Hugz Bill

Online MaryLou

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »
Now I am confused.   I tried CTRL J to duplicate which didn't work so now, it's CTRL O?  I know CTRL J duplicates in designer but you have to open the program first? 

I think I'll just settle for File\Open and go find what I want or, since I almost always have the file manager open, I'll just drag the images into the workspace.  Too many options...    Basically, my comment was concerned with why would anyone want to save their photo with an Affinity extension.  That's a bit redundant. 

Offline Bill

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
Yup, just do it your way MaryLou,  that is how I do it , my way and the easiest way
Hugz Bill

Offline Majse

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »
Mayby it is my English - but I can't get it to work. If I delete bottom layer and I try to close it says the original has been changed. But I deleted the original. What am I missing

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!