Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Quick Mask not working  (Read 686 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Quick Mask not working
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »
I have tried that quick mask a dozen times and can't get it to work.  Actually, it did work once but I could never repeat it.  I must have some setting that I'm missing or what. Here are my exact steps.

1.  Open the big eyed owl
2.  Toggle the mask on (mask overlay selected on dropdown menu)
3.  Set the Hardness to zero
4.  Select the Paint Brush tool from the toolbar

Next I attempt to "paint" on the red overlay and nothing happens.  I do not get the "preview" that he mentions either.  Any suggestions?

As I said, I did get it to work just the one time.  After that, I decided to do it again to reinforce what I learned but it has not worked since. 

Update:  I just downloaded and installed the new beta and got the same results.

Offline Teejay

Re: Quick Mask not working
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
are you using white paint ..... thats about it ...  thats all i can think of ..
you know cos it is a mask....   i havent done this one yet

and make sure white is in the fill circle not the stroke/line circle...i think that may be the problem cos it just happened to me

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »
Teejay, you are right!!  That did it.  I had changed the color the first time I did it and the program still had the same colors saved even after I uploaded a new version. 

I haven't used masks for ANYTHING before other than to put a frame around an image so I didn't know  you have to use a white brush.  The video didn't explain that at all. 

Anyway, it appears to be working so now I'm going to give this dude a different color eye!!

Thanks for the help!!  I should have done this last night!! :cancan: :cancan:

OOps!  I posted too soon!!  I closed the image, did NOT close the program.  Re-opened the image  because I wanted to do it again.  It didn't work. I have the fill set to white, the stroke to null  (also tried black)  and nothing happens. 

I really want to learn this stuff but this is getting frustrating!  I even tried adding a mask layer but that didn't help either.

Try doing it twice in a row and see if it works the second time.

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
MaryLou, close out the program and start over have the white as color and the back circle as black,and follow the video for this is the quick mask way
Hugz Bill

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
Also MaryLou use the left mouse button the change and use the right mouse to add back what you changed
Just make sure the colors are white in front and black in the back,I believe it is called the stroke color
Hugz Bill

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »
Bill, I've done that time and time again.  There must be some setting that I have set wrong.  I've managed to make it work twice in about 15 attempts using the same and different images.  I've taken a screen capture of my screen so maybe you can compare it to yours.  I was going to change the color of the red bricks.

Offline Nicky

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »
Had the same problem ML. I finally realized that the white color must be selected. So once the overly is on, I click on the white (fill) icon and all is fine. Hope this help.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:03 PM »
Nicky, I do have the white color selected.  Look at the color panel.

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 08:57:53 PM »
ML,,, I checked your pic with mine and your settings on here seem to be right just make sure after you select the brush you click on the white color for the front, and then go to top click on the quick mask or click on it in the layers panel, this hides the quick mask,then do your painting with the brush,, Let me know
Hugz Bill

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
Well, your steps are backwards from the video but I followed them anyway.  Opened my image, set the fill color to white, grabbed the paint brush, set the hardness to zero, turned on the red mask.  Nothing happens when I try to use the brush.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 02:31:54 AM »
this is what i found  when trying this
for the paintbrush to paint on the mask
the very last thing to do with the paintbrush is dip it in the white paint ...by that i mean you must click on the white fill circle.

if you change size  of brush click the white circle... hardness  click the white circle
the last thing you touch before painting is clicking on that white circle ..its got to be a bug this cant be right the man in the video didnt have this trouble
well thats my findings anyway.

Offline Nicky

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 03:23:39 AM »
Once the white is selected I can either click on mask and then brush or mask or hardness, I can paint away.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 05:31:59 AM »
wow i have to click the fill before i paint or it doesnt do anything,

Offline Majse

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:00:49 AM »
I don't have to use white first

I don't know if it helps but here is my settings

You click on the mask-icon

You select the area, you will edit

You click out of the mask

Then you put adjustment layer on and paint.

Have I understood this right?

This is how I do it

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »
Majse, my settings are exactly like yours except your image shows you have the Paint Mixer brush selected and you are using  aqua instead of white paint.

Teejay, nothing I do will let me paint on that mask.  I have tried every sequence and nothing works. I know it has to be some setting that I'm missing but I don't know what. I've watched the video full screen so I could compare settings and mine look identical.

I think I"m going to post this one over in the Affinity forum.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!