Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Quick Mask not working  (Read 821 times)

Online MaryLouTopic starter

Re: Quick Mask not working
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »
Problem solved!!!   On the context bar, there is an option called Protect Alpha.  I had that checked and it should NOT be checked.

Also, MEB told me that you MUST have the fills set to white to erase an area and set to black to do the opposite.

Majse, you used the wrong brush. You used the Paint Mixer brush instead of the Paint Brush. That's why you were able to use other colors.   I have no idea how that works but just thought you'd like to know.

Finally done with that owl!!

Offline Bill

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 02:27:45 PM »
 :praise68:  :thanks06:, MaryLou for explaining all this you got from MEB, he is a good man on issues :thumb3: :chickdance: :chickdance:
Hugz Bill

Offline Nicky

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
ML cannot find the context bar...

Online Teejay

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 02:51:36 PM »
nicky the context bar is where the size of brush setting is and the quick mask button is.... it runs along the top of the workspace and gives you most of your tool options ...

Offline Bill

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 03:01:29 PM »
Nicky, to see what MaryLou is talking about on context tool bar , to see the box for alpha channel you have to click on the Quick Mask on the tool bar , and you will see it, just past the middle of the tool bar to the right
Hugz Bill

Offline Nicky

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
Thanks Bill but it is not there for me.  I even went to customize toolbar.... cannot see it.

Offline Bill

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »
Nicky click on View, then click on Context tool bar if it is open it will hide, then just click again and it will open,, open a photo click on Quick Mask in the context tool bar, your photo will turn red, then look in the context tool bar, middle right for Alpha Channel, no check in the box  all of this is in Affinity Photo
Hugz Bill

Offline Bill

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »
Nicky here is snapshot,, Make sure after you open a image you click on Quick Mask at the top in the context tool bar then click on the brush to see all the other info , like the proteck alpha and no check mark for it
Hugz Bill

Offline Nicky

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 03:47:47 PM »
 :praise65: so well explained Bill. Got it. I am a very literal person...so ML said : On the context bar, there is an option called Protect Alpha. but no mention of the brush!!!! I am so glad we have this forum.

Offline Bill

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
Nicky, the alpha only shows after you click on the brush on the left side, try it and you will see. But first open an image then click on the brush and you will sse a lot of things on the context tool bar including the alpha
Hugz Bill

Offline Nicky

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 04:01:20 PM »
Bill it worked for me the way you explained it. It is me who did not open the brush following ML info.. All is fine now

Offline Bill

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
 :praise68: :chickdance: :cancan: :cancan: :thumb3: :thanks06: for letting me know Nicky,have a nice evening :thumb3: :thumb3:
Hugz Bill

Online MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »
Nicky, I didn't mention the brush because the only way to get a context tool bar is to click on a tool.  :dancegirl:   I knew that but I forgot it so when I went looking for the Alpha thingy, I didn't find it right away.  Then the lights went on... have to click a tool to get a context tool bar.  Then, all worked as it should.   So, now we both learnedd something new! :praise53: :praise53: :praise53:

Offline Majse

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 12:09:43 AM »
Ha Ha, MaryLou - I never know what I am doing. Thanks for info - I am glad you told me. And I am glad you got it to work

Offline Nicky

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 01:00:44 AM »
More learning!!!  :thanks06:

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!