Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Paste as new image- Teejay  (Read 442 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

Paste as new image- Teejay
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:23:42 AM »
I knew there had to be a way of  duplicating your image to work on so you do not work on the original without using layers etc. and there is

Open your image in the workspace..then right click on your image and choose copy   or Ctrl+C (thats for you Bill)

you can now delete your image you want to protect 
go File /New From Clipboard   and a copy of your image will open in the  workspace.
it is untitled  and you will be asked to name it when you save it ... :dancegirl:
 :omg:  i am getting to like ap ..it is these small niggely things that trip me up
the more we sort them the better i like ap.

Please try it out  and see what you think it may not be for you...

Offline Majse

Re: Paste as new image- Teejay
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:47:59 AM »
YAY! It works - thanks Teejay. It makes it a lot easier to do it this way  :cancan:

Offline Irene

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
I have one problem with the copy and paste ,
it does not take across the settings from the picture camera,
I am used to duplicate it and all the camera settings stay ,
camera settings date and time and place , not sure if they would include that in the program,
Irene

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »
I never thought about that, Irene.  That sounds like a good question for Bill to ask in their forum. 

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »
I just tried this and copy and paste you loose the settings using the Affinity program,, But if you Duplicate, Ctrl j it keeps all the sizes ,camera settings as I see it, for I just did it using the program.
Duplicate is done from one of 3 places; click on layers at the top, and click on duplicate,, or in the layers panel on the right get on the original and right click and click on duplicate,  or use the short cut key,, Ctrl j duplicates, then you can delete the original
Duplicate is better than copy and paste and less work
Hugz Bill

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »
That makes sense, Bill.   A copy is just that, a copy of what you see visably, similar to a screen capture.  A duplicate is an exact duplicate of the image with all of the hidden settings.  That's a good thing to remember for those who really get into the photography stuff.

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
 :thanks06: :chickdance: :chickdance: MaryLou.  :thumb3: :thumb3: That is the way I see it,too
Hugz Bill

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:20 PM »
I agree BUT

If you use the system of duplicate the original to a layer then delete the original layer

You are STILL working on the original image.  .you must use 'save as' and re name the work differently from the original....if you just use save...it will save over  the original.

So i dont understand why you would open an image...duplicate in the layers panel
Delete the first original image in the layers panel and when ready use the 'save as' option

Why do all that ....why not open the original image and use ' save as'  name it something else to the original and bobs your brother.

I wish we had an option to duplicate  as in psp.  This would give you the duplicate copy of the image with all data along side the original seperate and when you want to save you must rename it.it does not save automatically over your original image.

Sorry for banging on but i think it is important .

Offline Irene

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 01:50:35 AM »
I agree about that, Have been using Photoshop Elements, when you click on file , duplicate it will bring up the picture with all the information and the file is called the same as the original , except it has a copy with it
Irene

Offline Bill

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 06:00:22 AM »
Yes , you are right Teejay,, when you duplicate it save the image the same as original and will change if you do anything to the duplicate,, so as he says in one of his videos , open image and save it as ,with different name and it will save as affinity file, like a psp or ufo file. this way you still have the original in your file and will not be editing the original, you open the new affinity file and work on it  or you can do the copy paste, all programs do work different. Maybe AP will change it before the regular program come out
Hugz Bill

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »
thanks bill for clearing it up ..
i like AP a lot   it is just wanting the good things out of one program in to another
like you say we can hope.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!