Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Making Daub Papers into Bitmap or Style bitmaps-Teejay  (Read 508 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

Making Daub Papers into Bitmap or Style bitmaps-Teejay
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:01 AM »
some of you have asked me  what to do with the daub papers once they are installed into the Assets...
i found them near to useless in there... so at first i converted them all to jpg bitmaps
then i realized this was not the best way and converted them to styles ...

if you have not yet installed your Daub papers into your assets   here is an excellent mini tutorial on how to do just that
http://pirc-forum.com/index.php?topic=30414.msg304683#msg304683

here are both ways of converting and saving  the daub papers
first  converting and saving as a bitmap and storing them on your pc in a place where you keep your textures and patterns

make a new document 1200x1200  and 300 dpi 

make sure your assets panel is showing if not go ... View/Studio/Assets
find your Daub papers in your assets and left click  and drag the paper onto the new doc you have made 
make sure none of the paper is overlapping and has transparency all around it, this is because things outside of the document do not save.

with the move tool click on the paper
then go File/export.

click the jpg option (top left)
change the size to 600x600
change the default area to 'selection without background'
if the file size is too big bring it down with the 'quality' i placed mine at 80

then click export when you are happy with the file size .....and browse to where all your other patterns are on your pc and save.
because there are a lot of Daub papers  it may be a good idea to make a new folder and call it daub papers to save them in ...
its up to you
once it is saved  click the daub paper and click the delete key .
then drag paper 2 into the doc and repeat the process

but WAIT

i did all those with the papers and a few weeks later realized there is a different  way of doing this

saving as a bitmap  in the Styles
this is still a bitmap texture pattern but saving them to the styles allows you to see them...this may suit you better.
here is how to do this

make your new doc as before and drag your first Daub paper from the assets onto the document
make sure your assets panel is showing if it isnt ....go
View/Studio/Assets   and place a tick by it

now click the small icon top right
choose Add Styles Category
you will see an unnamed heading in your stles
click the top right icon again
choose Rename Category
i renamed mine Daub bitmaps

now we are ready to save as a bitmap style
right click on your bitmap and choose 'create style'
and you will see it in your styles panel

delete the paper in your document and move to the next one

this way you can easily view a small portion of your bitmap without having to browse to it on your pc.

one last thing i put this together hastily SO
just let me know if there are mistakes or you need more help.... :th1:

Offline Lynn

Re: Making Daub Papers into Bitmap or Style bitmaps-Teejay
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 06:54:45 AM »
Thank you, Teejay!

These mini-tutorials will be a great help.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
great stuff Lynn and thanks for the idea too. :thumb3:

Offline Sue Honstain

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
 :excellent-1: Teejay.  I have saved this mini-tut to my Basics Folder in my gmail account!   :thanks02:

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
who hooooooo i am honoured....  :stars: :thumb3:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »
Teejay, it was taking forever to drag one at a time out so I dragged four out, then selected the top one, created a style, then deleted it.  clicked next one to select, and repeated.

The only problem I see with this method is, when you create the style, you lose the name of the DAUB file.   This could be a problem when trying to explain something to someone else.  I'm going to go through and rename all the styles so they have the same number as the daubs.   Might take a few minutes, but it will be worth it in the end.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 01:34:55 AM »
 oh yes i never thought of nameing ..DOH :thud:   teamwork all around ... :clap2:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
This information is so useful Teejay, thank you. I must find time and get around to doing it.
A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight!.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
Whooo hooooooo great stuff.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:05 AM »
What works for me is dragging out the Daub papers onto the workspace document 1200 x 1200 pixels. Right-clicking and selecting Save as Style.  I then change the name of the style to the number of the paper.  OK some patterns in the palette are hard to see but they all are. I look at the corresponding number in the Asset Panel/Daub Papers to see more of the pattern if I want a closer look.
Apart from not exporting (and changing size to 600 pixels) now wonder if I am missing something as this seems too easy.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
Sheryl,  I do something similar but if I want to see how the style looks, I just draw a big circle, then click the style. If I don't like it, I click another style.  Can fool with sizing the patterns that way.  I don't see any reason to keep the papers loaded.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:13 AM »
That's true...either way you still have to fill a shape before you really see the true pattern. Quicker to select it from the style palette.  I have the Daub Papers saved to my AD downloads folder so could remove them from the assets panel.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!