Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Missing Room - SherylC  (Read 687 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

Missing Room - SherylC
« on: January 05, 2017, 03:29:41 AM »
This lovely Welsh Tudor Mansion in Conwy County is missing a room.

Does anyone across the pond know where it might be?  :stars:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-38512748
A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight!.

Offline MaryLou

Re: Missing Room - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »
I replied to the post and think it could very well be in San Simeon, California in the castle of William Randolph Hearst - the wealthy newspaper mogul. If he had it in his New York apartment, I would think it would have been moved to the castle, which is not lived in but open for tourism.  I've never been there, it's a long trip - about 300 miles (according to Alexa).

I asked her where the London bridge is, she said it's in the United Kingdom!  I think she is confused.. it's in Arizona!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:27:37 AM »
That's interesting MaryLou, thanks. William Randolph Hurst...Citizen Kane. I loved that movie.

Well apparently a wealthy American purchased London Bridge. It was carefully taken down brick by brick and shipped over to the USA in 1967  Unfortunately when it arrived he realised he had purchased the wrong bridge. Tower Bridge, which is a stunning bridge and one that lifts, was the one he wanted to purchase.   London Bridge is also famous and nice enough but plain by comparison. So yes the real London Bridge is indeed in Arizona in the resort of London Bridge.

To this day tourists often confuse the two bridges but it is unclear as to what bridge the American really meant to purchase...probably London Bridge. It could be said that the American wanted a piece of London with a name to suit...what better than London Bridge.     

It's not true that the American was conned into buying London Bridge but this makes interesting reading:
http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/was-american-really-conned-buying-wrong-london-bridge-1162

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
That was an interesting article.  I didn't know that's the bridge that was in Arizona. When I think of London Bridge, I think of the one with the big towers.  Didn't know there were two of them!  Seems I learn something new every day!!

Having never been to Hearst Castle, I looked it up. Very interesting!!!  56 bedrooms!  The article tells how Hearst would buy up European stuff for his homes so who knows, the missing room could well be there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_Castle

Apparently, there is also a Hurst Castle which was an artillery fort established by Henry VIII on the Hurst Spit in Hampshire, between 1541 and 1544. It formed part of the King's Device programme to protect against invasion from France and the Holy Roman Empire, and defended the western entrance to the Solent waterway.

And now I have learned two new things today!!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
Well, seems I am learning new things everyday too.  It was the thing for very wealthy people to buy property, paintings and such like. Items that hold their value and in William Randolph Heart's case he was so wealthy could buy anything from anywhere in the world including rooms it seemed. Hearst Castle looks very beautiful and I would love to visit someday.   Yes I think you're right...the missing room is probably there.

Funny but never heard of Hurst Castle in Hurst Spit and had to look it up as I wasn't sure if it was in USA or UK....the latter of course seeing as it was connected with Henry VIII but not so odd as Kings traveled far and wide in their day. This is another interesting topic I must research.  :coffeecup2:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
I would love to visit a real castle - one that was actually built for Kings and Queens - not modern day versions.   Always wanted to visit Hearst Castle, even though built for a rich man rather than a King, I be it's fabulous inside!

I am still trying to wrap my head around 56 bedrooms!! :star:

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 04:38:02 AM »
 I live in between two Castles, Caerphilly Castle which is about 2 miles over the mountain and Cardiff Castle which is in the town centre. In fact Castles are everywhere in Wales and we have an expression whenever we come across one.......on no not an "ABC". Which is short for "another b----- Castle". lol

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
Hahahaha...yes, I do remember that you lived near several. We talked about these years ago.  If I remember right, my biggest concern from years ago is... where did the kings and queens go to the toilet since they didn't have modern day plumbing!  I tend to worry about the dumbest things! :stars: :stars:

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »
Yes we did have this conversation MaryLou. It was interesting then as it is now...love conversing. I often wonder about the toileting issue....think they managed with bedpans. Apparently the Victorians who were notoriously unclean, emptied the badpans through the window. If you happened to be walking underneath you got wet by something other than rain! lol. Yuk! lol

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
I was reading an interesting Ancient Hygiene in the olden days. It was VERY informative!! 

In those days, when they bathed in a tub, they let the oldest child bathe first but in our area of the country, the youngest bathed first because they went to bed earlier.  Me, being the oldest always got stuck with the yucky last bath!

The article talked about a wicker chair that had a chamber pot under it.  I had something similar when I got married (we didn't have indoor plumbing).  I took an ordinary wooden kitchen chair, had my husband cut a round hole in it, then under the seat, he put two pieces of wood, one on each side of the hole, so the pot could be slid in under the chair.  I made a nice "skirt" to go around the chair and a matching seat to go on top.   We used to giggle when someone came in and sat on that chair.  The pot was slid out, the lid put on it and emptied in the outhouse daily.

I'm glad the world has advanced in the hygiene areas!! :stars: :stars:

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 03:54:56 AM »
Oh my goodness you ended up with the yuckiest of water, that must have been tough. I remember my mother telling me that was how her and her siblings bathed each night and also how she would empty the chamber pot (from under the chair) as her mother lived with the family too.  I recall, as a 2 yr old child the family having to wash in a sort of lean-to cum outhouse area. The sink (or Bosch as we called it then) was a big marble ugly thing.

Yes I agree, thank goodness we have progressed on the hygiene front.  :stars:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »
There was a creek that literally ran through our back yard so in the summer months, we all bathed in the creek.  In winter months, we only bathed once a week and that was on Saturday night so we would be clean for church on Sunday.  I don't recall my mother ever taking a bath though but I'm sure she must have. Same with step father.

My brother usually got the job of taking the pot to the outhouse to dump it.  We only used it at night because during the day, we could walk down the path where it stood.  When the hole filled up, stepdad would dig another huge hole, then move the outhouse over top of it and toss dirt on the old hole.  It was a very normal thing back then but pretty unthinkable these days!! 

I had never heard of a bed sheet as a kid.  We had a blanket on top and and another on bottom and four of us slept in the same bed.   There were 5 kids and 2 adults living in four rooms.   Pretty much everyone else in our area lived the same way so we never thought we were poor.  However, by today's standards, we would have been considered to live in poverty.  Sometimes, I think life was better back then. It was simple. Today, you start learning to use electronics from the moment you're born!  My 6 year old great grandson got a very nice laptop for Christmas. He knew exactly how to use it.  Imagine that!  Definitely a changing world!

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 02:13:27 AM »
We had blankets or bedspreads covering the bed when I was a child but in my mother's day coats were often used if blankets were in short supply.

Odd but it was a long time before Duvets grew on me...I much preferred the weight of the blankets.

Some people still prefer blankets though I can't imagine why these days as they are not hygienic due to not making the wash very often and are therefore prolific germ carriers.

This is a more modern complaint that I have...can't stand cushions & throws on beds in hotel rooms, especially cushions propped on pillows where I rest my head.  These accessories, though look nice, are notoriously unhygienic as they are not laundered as often as sheets and duvet covers...in fact they may not even be laundered at all!. First thing I do is remove them from the bed and sprinkle good old Lavender or Eucalyptus Essential Oils (Antibaceterial) to kill off any germs. I do not understand why hoteliers think customers want germ ridden cushions and throws on their sleeping areas....yuk! lol

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!