Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: GrassBrush - Teejay  (Read 674 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

GrassBrush - Teejay
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:33:10 AM »
this is just my way of making a grass brush.  instead of one blade of grass you get two ....yeaaaa
 my new image was 1000x1000px and a 300dpi it has to have  a good dpi  for the brush to be clear.

draw out a very fat short diamond  as in the sample below mine is approx 800pxwide by 45px high
and give it a nice green colour of your choice.

right click on your shape and choose convert to curves.
 Select the node tool and gentle move the top and bottom line to the right of the centre node in a little
and the top and bottom line to the left of the venter node out... as in the sample below try not to add a node just grab and drag the lines a little.

Add a bevel from the Effects.These are  the settings i used.

now we need to save this as a png for the next step to making our brush
go File /export .  Save without background and as a png  both of these settings are crucial

Save this grass brush image to a place you will remember  i named mine tjgrass1
i have made a folder on my pc  and called it Brush Images.. i save all my brush images to the Brush Images  file.

Delete the grass shape in the workspace . Or save it as a afdesign if you wish to tweak it for another grass brush .

Select the Brushes Panel if you do not see it  go View/Studio/Brushes
click the small icon to bring up the options choose Create New category
choose the same icon again and choose Rename Category
Name your New Category .  i named mine  tjGrass

and finally  we can make our brush

select the same icon once more and select  New textured Image Brush.

you will have a browse box to navigate to your brush
find and click the saved grass image you made ...

whooooooooo hooooooooooo you should see it  in your brush library...

Double click  on the brush in the library and change the size to around 25 to 30
the default brush size is around 64 which would make HUGE grass leaves...
thats it you have made your brush

set the colour panel so the fill and stroke are transparent (this will allow the brush colour settings to show as you made them).

select the Vector Brush Tool

you can draw from top to bottom.
you can draw from bottom to top
you can draw a deep V shape and get two grass leaves for the price of one (my fave)

phew i need chocolate and a coffee ...  hope  you make some stunning grasses ...

Re: GrassBrush - Teejay
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »
you can make all manner of assorted grasses  just have a play and see what you come up with.

Offline Lin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »
 :wow2: Thank you little sis, I will do this as soon as I'm totally awake and with it.. lol  looks awesome!! 

Offline Sue Honstain

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »
I have saved these insructions so I can make a Grass Brush like yours (or at least similar)!  :wtg: :thanks07:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »
Wow... what a great looking brush!!!   I have to make one just as soon as I get back to playing!   Teejay, this would make a wonderful tutorial!!!!   :thumb3: :thumb3: :praise65: :praise26:

Offline San

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
Awesome grass brush you have made Teejay I love making brushes never thought of adding a bevel what a great idea.

Offline Nicky

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
 :wow2: :praise58: Will give it a try later

RobertH.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
Cool grass brush.   :praise46:

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »
great stuff and glad your all going to be making grass like its going out of fashion... lol

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »
Grass is definitely out of fashion in California!   In fact, the government was paying people to remove their grass and replace it with low maintenance things like tanbark and rock and replacing the fancy flowers with cactus.  It's not that they disliked grass, but with our water shortage, we weren't allowed to water the grass so the yards were looking pretty bad! 

Don't think water shortage is going to be a problem this year, we've had steady rain and flooding for the last week! :wow2:

But, I do want to make that brush.. it's  :praise73:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
That grass was so easy to make!!!  I can see a LOT of uses for this.  Thanks for the mini tut, Teejay!!

One comment,  I don't right-click and convert to curves.  That option is right there on the screen and it's a lot easier to just click it.  You KNOW how lazy I am... always looking for the fastest way!!  Here's a sample of my grass although I don't think it looks like grass.  It looks like tall leaves or a stack of green beans!

Offline Lin

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 07:37:25 PM »
ROFL MaryLou.. green beans.. LOL   it looks like fat grass.. too much rain.. LOL

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 04:57:30 AM »
if you draw a few V lines  with the brush you may get a different sort of grass leaf .

Offline Lin

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »
My grass :)  I found that if I narrowed the brush more it will work better on a smaller image..  thanks TeeJay :) lovely grass brush!

Offline Lynn

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »
 :praise73: Your instructions were clear and enabled me to make an excellent grass brush, Teejay!  :praise65:

Thank you so much!

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!