Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: News Flash!!!!!!*************  (Read 496 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

News Flash!!!!!!*************
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
Just so you all know, Paste Inside, Clipping, and Insert in Selection all do the exact same thing.  They are just different tools, and different methods to get the same end result.  I asked why three methods... he said to please everyone. They now have a choice.

This is straight from MEB at Affinity.   Personally, I think Paste Inside is the easiest one to use.   Just thought you should know this!! :thumbs2:

Offline SherylC

Re: News Flash!!!!!!*************
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:09:54 AM »
Good to know that there's a term to suit everyone MaryLou.  Clipping is probably my preference but it's personal choice.   

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:34:36 AM »
wow ..three ways to do the same

SueHonstain

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:35:35 AM »
That is  :praise73: MaryLou -- I think I will use the clipping method as it appears to be the easiest to use! :excellent-1:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:27 AM »
i will be using all three i think depending on what i am doing

i  was experimenting with  copy and past ... if  i go to where my images are and copy one  from my images
i do not need to open the image in AD.... i can paste it into whichever layer i wish ..one less step to do ..just thought i would say.

RobertH.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »
My experience with graphics software programs is that there are almost always three (could be more) ways to accomplish the same thing. For example, to duplicate an object or layer in AD you can use keyboard shortcut ctrl-j, keyboard shortcut ctrl-c ctrl-v, Edit>Copy Edit>Paste, and right click>Copy right click>Paste.

Another one with multiple ways to achieve the same thing is for grouping objects. If the Move tool is selected, on the Context Toolbar is a button for grouping. Or Right Click>Group. Or Layer>Group. The list goes on and on for other examples as well.

One reason multiple methods of doing the same thing are allowed in a program is because the developers want to allow the same workflow that is in another program the user is familiar with. As Sheryl said it often is just a personal choice as to which method you use or are comfortable with. And sometimes if one method doesn't work for some unknown reason, knowing another way to do it may be a way to git r done...LOL

Offline Lin

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »
I like the different ways, we all work differently so we use what is easiest for us.. I usually use clipping (almost said nesting.. lol ) and I right click to group things. Right now I'm in the middle of learning to use the pixel brushes.  I love brushes.. lol

Offline San

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
  It is great to have a choice.

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
I like the Paste method best, which is what I will probably use.  Teejay, I found that out when playing yesterday.  I had some other stuff left over in the clipboard and when I pasted it, I had to blink a few times and try to figure out what I did!   That's when I realized, I forgot to copy the image!

SueHonstain

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
It is great to have choices!

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)