Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: New Beta for AD for Windows 1.5.2.54  (Read 323 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

New Beta for AD for Windows 1.5.2.54
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
There was a long list of things fixed in this first Beta released since the retail version went on sale.

I thought I would have to input my Product Key but I did not have to do so.

Here is a link to the download:

Link to Beta Download

Offline Sue Honstain

Re: New Beta for AD for Windows 1.5.2.54
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 11:26:07 PM »
I think I will wait for the non-beta version of this instead of messing up what I've got.  Not having any issues with last version at all!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
Lynn, did they add anything new or is it all a "fix-it" list?  One of the things fixed was improved opening and closing time. Did you see any difference?  I guess I could download it and find out for myself but.. it's easier to just ask!  :dancegirl:

Offline Grethe

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »
WHY are they making a new Beta?? I thought we had done all that Beta now! :pointy:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
Grethe, there are ALWAYS things that need to be fixed and that's what they're doing.  When they have all the fixes done, they will have an upgrade to the version we have.  All programs do this.  I'm glad they care enough to fix all the things that need to be fixedl.  :dancegirl: :dancegirl:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:52:42 AM »
my new beta  took 44 seconds to open   
my normal one taked 60 to 90 seconds to open  so it is a bit faster for me
but there are issues of crashing  and giving an error  when choosing the pen so i wont be using it .

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »
I reported the crash when clicking on the Pen Tool in the AD Beta and Sean P told me what to do, but he left out the way to do it. I remembered the path from similar instances months ago with the pre-retail Beta. Here is the path:

Go to This PC, Local Disk, Users, Owner, AppData, Roaming, Affinity, Designer, 1.(Beta), and delete the Commands.xml file.

I deleted the Commands.xml file and the Pen Tool works fine in the Beta now. (I also just posted the path on the Affinity Forum as someone there had asked how in my thread.)

Offline Sue Honstain

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 06:21:26 AM »
Does the Beta overwrite the purchased version of AD Lynn? I am not looking for trouble in the version I already paid for!!

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:04 AM »
No, Sue.

If you follow the path, you will find both the retail version and the Beta listed. You pick the Beta to change, as I demonstrated.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »
ok the only place i found it  after following your path was in settings .. thank you so much Lynn now i will see how i fare with it. :stars: :thumb3: :thanks07:

Offline Sue Honstain

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Lynn - I installed the AD(Beta1) today and had no issues with the pen tool at all! Maybe the fixed it already!  So is this just a "test me" version for all you techies out there to point out errors that need to be fixed?  It is much faster than my retail-AD I installed. So, my question is "Do I need this Beta1 on my PC"? It has none of extra stuff I've updated on my Original retail AD!  And I assume there will be some sort of PATCH to upgrade my retail version at some point in time! (Like you folks that were working in Beta copies and then they switched to retail versions.)

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
Sue, had you installed the pre-retail version of the AD Beta? If not, I think that would perhaps explain why you didn't have a problem with the xml file when you installed the post-retail AD Beta.

It's really up to you as to whether you use the retail AD or the Beta. One reason I have the Beta installed is that I am hoping they will use it to let us help them get any bugs out of a blend tool or a mesh tool, both of which are on the roadmap. Another reason is that occasionally I find it convenient to have both of them open at the same time for ease in completing something I am doing.

Now, there will be bugs showing up in the Beta. Beta users are expected to report these to Serif so the Affinity Team is aware of the problems and can correct their coding. If you don't want to participate in this effort, stick with your Retail version.

Yes, eventually there will be a patch to the Retail version when Serif feels the bugs have been eliminated from the coding of the stuff in the patch.

Offline Sue Honstain

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »
I will delete the Beta1 Version of AD then as I had already installed the retail version prior to this Beta1 Version!  Thanks for the information Lynn!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »
I just did some time tests too.  Affinity Designer: 11 seconds.  Affinity Beta: 10 seconds.  PhotoImpact: 4 seconds.  PSP: 4 seconds.

I ran each test three times to make sure they were accurate.   So, they've increased the speed by 1 second.  Now to get it down to opening in 4 seconds.  I was hoping for a bit better than this.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!