Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Affinity Photo and Apple Photos Extension  (Read 170 times)

Offline SteveTopic starter

Affinity Photo and Apple Photos Extension
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
I was a long time Aperture user (VERY HAPPY), then for obvious reasons went back to Lightroom (fairly happy). Now that Photos is getting more advanced with the various extensions, I decided to give it some more serious thought. I had previously purchased Affinity Photo (replacing Pixelmator) and was thrilled to see they have extensions for Photos!!!
Unfortunately, when sending a RAW photo from Photos to two of Affinity Extensions (Develop and Retouch), they go fine, can do whatever adjustments I want fine BUT they are never saved back to the Photos app - at least after waiting over 10 minutes each time (watching the little indicator going round and round) I just give up. Sending a JPEG file seems to work find. (And yes, both Photos and Affinity can open the RAW files from my main camera - Olympus Pen-F.) If I do any adjustments first in Photos - even just Enhance - the back and forth seem to work much faster, but I believe that is because from what I have read after any Photos adjustment, the file is sent to Affinity as a JPEG file, not a RAW one.
Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

Offline Bill

Re: Affinity Photo and Apple Photos Extension
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
Steve , I will check with the Affinity photo forum and get a answer for you, or I will give you the link to the affinity forum and you can ask all kinds of questions and see a lot of great info including tutorials.
Here is the link to go to, when you get there just sign up for a member and it is all free.
 the link;   https://affinity.serif.com/forum/

Let me know on how it all goes for you
Bill , moderator for the Affinity Photo forum here on this site
Hugz Bill

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
Thanks Bill. I already found the forum on their site and did post. Apparently waiting for a moderator to "approve the post" because I don't see it yet.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
Hmmmm...  I've never had to wait for a post to be approved.  Are you sure it was actually posted?

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:13:07 PM »
That is what the board said - something about waiting for a moderator to review the message. I tried tonight again and will see if it posts this time.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 03:12:24 AM »
Steve, I am not very informed on this kind of subject but wonder if this debate will answer your question:-

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4081874
A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight!.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 05:44:10 AM »
Thanks Sheri but I have had no issues with RAW development with Affinity when I just open the photos directly in the app itself.

Re: Affinity Photo and Apple Photos Extension - UPDATE
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
Well I tried some RAW files from my Canon G7X with the same result. I uninstalled and reinstalled Affinity (to make sure I had the most recent version) and tried both Olympus and Canon RAWs again.

The Canon worked and took about 90 seconds to complete the Save Changes.

The Olympus "worked" but took a bit over 5 minutes!!! Considering that I have a relatively recent iMac (mid-2015) running 16GB of RAM, the latest versions of Sierra, Photos and Affinity, I would think that is a bit excessive.

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »
Steve, did you hear from the Affinity forum site of your question to them?? what name did you use for their forum site at Affinity site?
Hugz Bill

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
They also asked some questions about my machine, etc. I posted the update there but have not gotten any responses back on that.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!