Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Changing colours - SherylC  (Read 163 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

Changing colours - SherylC
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »
Whenever I fill two objects (within the same document) and change the colour of one object using an Adjustment, it reverts back to its original colour as soon as I save it. I've tried cutting and pasting the object into a separate document, making the changes and then pasting back in to the original document but that doesn't work either. I realise that Adjustments do not affect the original layers but can't figure out why the change of colours won't stick at the saving stage. It's defiance. that's what it is! lol   

If anyone can throw me a net I will be a very happy Easter bunny, thanks.  :dance01:
A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight!.

Offline Teejay

Re: Changing colours - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
wow ..i havent played with the sdjustments much
 if you give me some basic steps  i will try and replicate what you do and see if i do it differently
i do know each adjustment layer must be clipped to a shape...but thats about all.

Offline San

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
Sheryl I use the adjustment colours a lot and I do not have any trouble when saving them the colours changes to what I want.  So if you let us know what is happening with you I might be able to help.

As You can see below I have change 2 of the colours.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »
Thanks San and Teejay. I find the layering system in AD still tricky! lol. Just putting one layer behind the other doesn't always work.  So easy in other programmes! lol Maybe I am not clipping the layers. I'll post some screenshots over the weekend.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 06:45:23 AM »
My layering layout was different to your example San. I guess to get the recolouring by adjustments to save the object needs to be on it's own layer and not grouped with another. I think I was grouping them into one layer and that's why the colours reverted back to their original colours after saving.  OMG..seems like a schoolgirl error! lol
I've had a play around today and think I got it right, as screenshot.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »
looks like you have it sussed nicely shez...yeeeeeeeaw .

Offline San

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
You can change a group and then export it with the different colour but your layers will always be the original colour  when you save it as .afdesign.  as  you can see in the image below.
If you group them you can still change the colours on the individual layer as you can see in the second image of the layer panel.

Hope I have explained it well enough. 

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:12:16 AM »
Yes I think it got it, thanks Teejay! lol

San, yes I was saving the recoloured layers as a group. I need to change that in future. Thanks so much for the explanation and screenshots. I've saved them for future reference.  :)

Offline Sue Honstain

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »
Sheryl I use the adjustment colours a lot and I do not have any trouble when saving them the colours changes to what I want.  So if you let us know what is happening with you I might be able to help.

As You can see below I have change 2 of the colours.

Excellent tip San . Keeping this for future reference!

You can change a group and then export it with the different colour but your layers will always be the original colour  when you save it as .afdesign.  as  you can see in the image below.
If you group them you can still change the colours on the individual layer as you can see in the second image of the layer panel.

Hope I have explained it well enough.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
Sue, I still don't fully understand how the layering system works in AD but getting there! lol

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!