Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: The Jaggies  (Read 661 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

The Jaggies
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:59 AM »
I was playing around in Affinity Photo last night and to my surprise, when using one of the vector shapes, the lines were very jagged.  Yet, when I switched over to the Export persona, it looked perfect.  Why is that?  Am I doing something wrong in the normal mode?  You can see the difference in my image below.

Offline Teejay

Re: The Jaggies
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:00:16 AM »
wow that is such a HUGE difference
i havent played much in AP so i havent a clue ... i will have a play though.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:11:18 AM »
ok i dont know why  it looks so jaggie
but while in the pixel persona go
view/zoom/100%    the jaggies go away...... ??????

Offline SherylC

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
Oh my goodness, I haven't noticed jaggies on images before MaryLou but they are very visible on your example.  I shall have a play once my Easter visitors have left.
A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight!.

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:03:45 PM »
I just realized that I was working with the zoom at 150% but even so, it should not show the pixels like that.  I just went back and tried it again.  Here's what I did:

1.  In regular mode, drew out a shape with a 5pt line width. Increased the view to 150% (which is how I usually work).  I could see all those jagged edges!

2.  I clicked the Export persona button - same view, etc and it looks perfect.  This just should not happen.  I wonder if it's a bug?  Can some of you test it using the same settings?

The reason I took a look at the drawing features in AP is because Joy said she did her bird in AP. I was wondering to myself it it was easier in AP than it is in AD.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 02:51:06 AM »
I just created a shape with a 5 point line and can't see any jaggies MaryLou. I tried exporting it and same, no jaggies as per screenshot. How odd that you get them. 

Think it's a case of swings and roundabouts regarding easiness of drawing using AP or AD from what I can see. OK, in AD you have to switch to Pixel Persona to access the retouch tools which is an extra step whereas in AP they are to hand instantly.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 04:08:43 AM »
i drew a shape and it was perfect at 100% but as soon as i increased the zoom to 150% i got BAD Jaggies

what does yours look like when you increase the zoom shez.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:15:45 AM »
i wondered about how your line at 5pix...is much wider than mine at 5 pix so i played
i bet your DPI was set at 300 wasnt it...
i dont know if it should make a difference in width of line but it does.
i still got jaggies when i zoomed to 150% mind you... :laugh2:

Offline Nicky

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
Sheryl line is 5 points not pix. May be that is the difference..

Offline Teejay

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh be back in a sec.

awwwwwwwwwwww poo  mine is pt too
i thought you had it then.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:43 AM »
Teejay, yes my DPI is always set to at least 260 (sometimes higher). 72 dpi should be fine for web but I print off paintings etc so naturally to set the dpi in all my graphic software high. Sorry I should have mentioned that but never gave it a thought. Not sure if the dpi makes a difference re Jaggies though.

I've tried this again just to double check that zoom was set to 150 percent but this time I lowered the dpi to 72...no jaggies.   

Offline Teejay

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 04:58:11 AM »
hey hey hey this aint fair i want no jaggies too.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 04:59:49 AM »
ahhhhhhh ha  naughty naughty   :laugh1: you are in AD   we are testing AP...

give it a go in AP our shez....

Offline SherylC

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 06:00:49 AM »
Oh my goodness! lol Looks like I got my silly billy hat on today! As Arnie says......i'll be back! lol

Offline SherylC

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 06:07:12 AM »
Right sorry about that! lol  The first screenshot was done in AP but for some reason did it in AD the 2nd time. Here's it is..in AP at 72 dpi and 150 percent Zoom. I am not seeing any jaggies.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!