Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Latest Windows 10 Update  (Read 179 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Latest Windows 10 Update
« on: June 15, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
If you have gotten the latest update of Win 10, and you have not looked at the control panel yet, you're in for a big surprise!!  There is NO Control Panel!!  Programs and Features has been replaced with App and Features and it's totally different looking.   It's like looking at a foreign operating system!!  Not sure if I like it or not but it really took me by surprise!!

I'm attaching an image of what the new Apps and Features looks like.  Just when I learn my way around Windows and can find things quickly, they go and muck it up so I have to start learning all over again!!  I guess that's called progress.

Offline Nicky

Re: Latest Windows 10 Update
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
For me this pm an update did the following. When I opened the pc, there was an image, asking if I liked it or not then it wanted me to sign in which I don't. Finally find where I could restart and when it came back on it was OK,
I sure wish they would leave things alone.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:53:41 PM »
I have my system set to automatically update whenever Windows wants to.  I don't mind it, we need to keep up to date with things.  If I had to buy a new computer tomorrow, I'd be so lost if I didn't know what to expect.   I should take the time to read what's new!!   :wideeye:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:47:15 AM »
i dont like it
 i think there is one major bug in it too

if i open my  my pictures from the documents and double click on an image ...i should be taken to the program i have set to open it by default.

but i am not....now  i get a pop up box asking me which  program i want to open it... thats ok...but when i select a program from the list  and select ok ..

the pop up closes then returns to be filled in again..????????????

so i check the always open with this app...  the box closes then returns..... i cannot ...no matter what ...get windows to open my image  by double clicking

i can still drag it from the pictures to an open program.....but when i have always double clicked it is going to take some getting used to   NOT opening this way.

Offline Nicky

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 04:30:18 AM »
MaryLou mine is set to auto also. No problem It is that image thing that I don't like. And I only see it if I put pc to sleep. Will try to see what it is and ....
Teejay which program do you open with? also have you tried right click on picture and choose open with option?
Just tested mine . It does open with double clock  Also after setting it do you restart your puter?

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 04:39:48 AM »
I can right click and open with

But i used to be a able to double click on an image and tbe defaut program for that file type would open it...now it doesnt....i get that manky option box... that keeps  coming back after i click  ok....

I have restarted  p c...... but will try that again.

Offline Nicky

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:11:17 AM »
Which program is your default TJ??

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 05:13:49 AM »
i have PSP to open jpg and png.as default  ...
and if i double click on an image  psp would launch and then open that image
it no longer does that .
i keep getting a manky box asking me to choose a default ...ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....lol
i may see if the windows viewer works for the default ...

Offline Grethe

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »
No problems here. Open jpg and png with AP, I can choose to open with PSP too.
You must have got a bug, Teejay!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
ohhhhhhhhhh noooooo now what...

Offline Grethe

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
Try to go back and delete the latest update...if you can. And then reload. ML might be a better help.... :laugh8:

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
I always have had my images open in Windows Photo Viewer (jpg, png, gif) because I don't always know what program I want to use.  So, I just use the photo viewer which is really great!  You can crop an image and do some minor editing such as brighten, darken, and a few more adjustments without opening a full blown program.  You can also delete images and set it to do a slide show of whatever is in the folder. 

It takes too long for programs to open when I just want to maybe crop an image or something like that.

Teejay, you might want to restore to just before the update.  The system creates an automatic backup before doing a Windows install.  I've only had to do that once but it worked perfectly.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 03:32:12 PM »
I will look into that tommorrow thanks....

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
Something might have gone wrong in the upgrade - that does happen, unfortunately!!

I'm just trying to stay cool!!  It's after 6pm and still 101 - HOT!!  I am re-doing the closet in the guest bedroom. It's the only one left with paneling on the walls.  Put one coat of primer on last night and a second, this morning.  Now I have to go out and buy paint to finish the walls and ceiling.  Be glad when that is done because I hate it when things are messed up!

Good luck with Win 10!!

Offline SherylC

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
I always have updates installed automatically, though the updates always upset the tablet settings which I have to adjust. I've just checked and my Control Panel is still there.
A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight!.

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!