Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Secuity Camera  (Read 47 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Secuity Camera
« on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
I do a LOT of on-line shopping and they usually deliver it to my back porch.  The meter readers also come back that way to do their job.  And, we all have a clipboard on our back railing for flyers and such. 

While I do have an alarm that lets me know someone is in the driveway, I don't know who it is until I open the door.  I don't like doing that when I don't know who's on the other side. 

So, I bought a security camera (actually, two of them).  I put one so it shows my driveway and I can monitor it on my little 8" tablet that sits on my desk.  I was amazed at how clear and sharp the image is at night!  I didn't know an infrared light could capture images so clearly!!  I've attached one from last night. It almost looks like daylight!

I had planned to put the cameras on the front of my place so I could see the entire yard. I discovered that, even though they are motion activated and capture any motion they detect, they do a VERY poor job of detecting.  I have walked right up to the camera and waved at it and it did not detect that motion.  It manages to capture the mail truck and one other big white truck but that's it.   It's definitely not good for security if it is that poor on detecting motion.  I contacted the company who said they were aware of the problem and are trying to improve in that area.    I told them I was sending it back because that is NOT security.

Anyway, in the end, I decided to keep one because if my driveway alarm goes off, I can look in the monitor and see who's there before opening the door.  That makes me feel a little safer.  I'll keep looking for an affordable system in the meantime.

So, here's what the scene looks like around 9pm.  I can monitor this on my cell phone when I'm not home too.  It's GREAT if you want to see what your dog is doing while you're at work, etc.  This only cost me $35 and was extremely easy to set up.

Offline San

Re: Secuity Camera
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »
 :wow3: that is  :praise70: MaryLou.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
Now I can understand how helicopters can aid in finding the bad guys. Those night scenes are brighter than the daytime ones!     I do have my porch light on, it goes on at dusk and stays on all night.  I checked to see what was different if I turned it off.  The image was just as bright but it didn't have that little glow over by the door.  It's for sure I will know who's at my door!! :cancan: :cancan:

Offline Nicky

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 04:40:16 AM »
 :like: :excellent-1: It is so clear!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »
This was a good lesson in what to look for in a security system. The night views are sharper than the color views in the daytime!  Now that I know what to look for, I'm going to start doing a lot of research.

Someone said I should just get that ADT service where they put alarms on all the doors and windows, etc.  It cost around $30 per month.  I actually considered it but that only protects in the case someone breaks in.  If that should happen, I have Daisy who can be pretty fierce and my car keys are always close to me... and all I need do is push a button to start the horn blasting.  It's twice as loud under a tin roof.  Another reason for not getting ADT is the reaction time. If the alarm goes off, they call you. If they cannot get you, they call a contact person.  I am the contact for my neighbor across the street.  When my  neighbor was on vacation, their alarm went off. They finally called me and asked ME go to over and go in the house and check it out to see if there were any broken windows or doors.  I wasn't happy about that but I did it. Did not have a cell phone so it was a lengthy process of me going over there and walking around the place (scared to death) and getting back home to respond to them.  Had there been a real bugler, no telling what could have happened.  That alone convinced me that it's not a good security choice.

So... I'll be doing my homework.  I know of two people here in the park that have security systems - will be talking to them too.  There is so darn much crime going on that one almost feels like a prisoner in their own home!

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!