CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT CONTEST : Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Nice Feature!!  (Read 844 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Re: Nice Feature!!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 12:37:59 pm »
I have no clue where the Salisbury recipe originated.  Didn't know we had such a place in Maryland.  Will have to check it out.  My brother lives in Hagerstown Maryland but I've never been there.

I am terrified of a pressure cooker!  My mother had one when I was a kid and it blew the lid off more than a few times and food went flying all over the place.  I don't know why, maybe she didn't put the lid on properly but it was enough to make me never want one.   I've used a slow cooker (crock pot) for years and years.  Was great when I was working.  I would prepare all the ingredients in the evening, then put it in the cooker in the morning, plug it in and go off to work.  Come home and dinner is ready!!   I will be doing that today. Preparing the meat and such and put in the refrigerator until I get up tomorrow, then turn it on and away we go!  Don't have to even look at it until time to eat.   I want to try baked potatoes one of these days.  You wrap the washed potato, then wrap in foil.  Put in slow cooker with nothing else... and in a few hours or so, you have baked potatoes!  I've heard you can't tell them from ones made in the oven.   I don't like to cook so this is the perfect answer!!   Do dig yours out and make it work for you! :angel04:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:07 am »
Well, It never occurred to me to slow cook a jacket potato but that's something else I shall try.

Same thing happened to my sister in law's mother...the lid came off her pressure cooker and all hell was let loose. So my SIL won't have one in the house! Apparantly the pressure at full throttle is enough to lift a car off the ground. I've always used one though so not nervous at all. I think these days they are much safer to use. I think there are at least 4 safety mechanisms on the one I have.

I've always wanted to visit Baltimore and have just finished watching "Keepers" on Netflix. Have you watched it MaryLou? It's about the abuse of children by a Catholic Priest (and friends) at Keough High School Baltimore, a Catholic school run by nuns back in 1969. Apparantly one of the nuns, Sister Cesnik knew about the abuse of children and was going to spill the beans. Unfortunately she was murdered before she could talk and her murderer was never caught though it is thought the priest who carried out the abuse was involved. The catholic church covered it up...like they always did in these cases. Its a very interesting series...I was glued watching it.   I never cared much for places where deep religion rules and I don't particularly like nuns but Sister Cesnik was a good nun and the whole case is a sad one.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 10:18:20 pm »
That's a new term for me "jacket potato"!   Kind of neat! 

I have not seen Keepers and even though I have Netflix, I probably won't watch it.  I don't watch anything with a lot of drama and suspense, killing, thrillers, etc.  I watch mostly Hallmark and family movies.  The reason being is, when I watch something that's intense like that, I have the most horrible nightmares.  There was a time when I could watch anything but as I aged, I found I just cannot do it. Anything that makes me sit on the edge of my chair also increases my heart rate and that makes it hard to breathe.  So, I only watch the sappy movies.  Starting next week, they will have nothing but Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel - they do it for 2 weeks every year. 

I was raised Catholic and the orphanage I lived in was the Roman Catholic orphanage.  I know some of those priests are dirty old men.  There was one at the Catholic girls school that was always calling me into his office for one reason or another. He insisted I sit on his lap. I was about 13.  It made me so uncomfortable because he always had his hand on my bottom on one side and the other around my shoulders. He would kiss me on the cheek when he let me go back to class.  It never went any farther than that but I never felt right about it.  From the many stories I've heard from others, the priests and nuns were not all a godly lot!   I still might check the movie out and see if I can handle it.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 01:41:11 am »
My mother always referred to them as jackets I guess because they had their skin in tact but they are usually referred to as Baked in restaurants etc.

I would say the series is harrowing in parts only because of how extensive the abuse was but interesting to see how after 27 years later abused people came forward and how things progressed in trying to bring the priest involved (and others inc a gynaecologist) brought to justice. I won't say too much in case you decide to watch it. 

I'm not a religious person and in my book being a religious person doesn't make you a better one...in fact I've seen the opposite in many cases. I consider myself to be a humanitarian which is more important to me. Help others less fortunate, stay on the right side of the law and know right from wrong. I give my time freely to volunteering here and there in different organisations when I can and that's good enough for me! lol 

A friend of mine is a JW. Evertime we meet up the subject turns to her beliefs...yawn yawn. In fact it got so bad at one stage I had to ask her to stop as it was ruining our friendship. I've known her for 30 years many of which were prior to her becoming a JW which happened after a bitter divorce. I guess she was converted during a very vulnerable period in her life and has stuck with it. 

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 06:22:12 pm »
I have it in my queue and MIGHT watch it.  Even though they have gruesome scenes, they are real life.  The move about Josef Fritzl still lingers in my mind.  How could anyone do that to their children?  He was a sick man.  That, and the child abuse that went on at  Haut de la Garenne in Jersey.  Things like that really stick in my mind - not sure why but they do. 

Will let you know if I get brave!!  :cancan:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 06:18:18 am »
Well that was another horrendous and harrowing case MaryLou. What a disgusting man, father. This is one series I definitely can't watch...yuk. I bought the book but can't bear to read it as I know it would play on my mind too heavily.

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 03:33:12 pm »
Those stories seem to stick in our minds.  Probably because we know they are real.  The girl here, Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped when she was 11 and was held in captivity for 18 years!!  In the early years, her abductor kept her locked in a shed where she became his sex slave.  He eventually moved her into a tent where she had a baby when she was just 14 and another one at age 17.  He was a disgusting piece of human increment.  His wife was his accomplice. I read the book a few years ago and I still think about it.

The same with another jerk in Cleveland, Arial Castro who held 3 girls captive and in chains for 10 years and raped them 5 times daily. He was such a coward that when he was caught, he hung himself in his cell when sentenced to life in prison. One of the girls had a baby by him but when one of the others got pregnant a few times, he would punch her in the stomach until she miscarried.  It's too bad he didn't live long enough to make it to prison. The other criminals would have had a good time with him.  I also read that book.  I really shouldn't read such things as they tend to "stick". 

There are some really sick people in this world!  :angel04:

Online Teejay

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:08 am »
i think i could kill  i really really do. :th1:

Always Buy The Big Ones.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:39 am »
Oh there are so many sick people in this world. What one human being can do to another is beyond disturbing. The thing is they appear to be like you and I with faces, arms and legs but devils in disguise. If only they have tails, we could see what they are!

The very sad story of the little boy who was abused by his mother and her lesbian partner last year so much so that he died. The things that little boy had to endure is beyond comprehension and to this day haunts me.

I am with you Teejay.

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 10:52:42 pm »
There was a time when stories like this had everyone in an uproar - public outcry.  In the last 10 years or so, people seem to have become immune to things like this - they say "so sorry", then go on their merry way.  We see it so much that it's no longer shocking and that is sad. :no-no:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 08:41:46 am »
Absolutely right MaryLou. We hear so much of it on the news these days that we have to try and remove ourselves slightly as a way of protecting ourselves. If we did not then it would drive us stir crazy. Of course some stories are harder to shake off than others. 

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)