Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Got a book today...Grethe  (Read 281 times)

Offline GretheTopic starter

Got a book today...Grethe
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:50:18 am »
A few days ago, I ordered Affinity Photo Workbook. And today it arrived. and  :wow2: it looks so good and also well written.

Now I have a question....Can I share things/tutorials from the book? I may write it word by word and I don't want to violate any copyrights. So what do you say?

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
Re: Got a book today...Grethe
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:46:09 am »
 Is there any information in the book that refers to copyright Grethe?  Also do you mean to copy from the book and post here? If so I can't see what harm it would do seeing as it's an AD board and no monetary exchange is involved. 

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »
Grethe, that book is copyrighted and it clearly says, "All rights reserved.  No part of this workbook may be reproduced in any form without the express WRITTEN permission of Serif.  So  the answer to your question is no... you cannot copy the tutorials and such.  There's a lot of copyright info right in the front of the book.  You should check that out.  :bluebiker:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 01:55:32 pm »
So far I haven't seen anything about the copyright, I haven't read that much yet. I thought like you, this is an AD/AP closed group, so I can't see any harm, but you never know.
Yes, I meant copy from the book good ideas etc.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:59:27 pm »
ML, I jumped right to the chapters, passing a lot of blah blah. Perhaps I should start over again.  :laugh2:
Ok, then that is clear, BUT I think I can pass on tips about tools.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:08:14 pm »
Grethe, do not pass on the tips...  it clearly states " No part of this workbook may be reproduced in any form "  and by passing on the tips, you are in violation of their copyrights.  I don't want the board to get in trouble again over those issues.  It was bad enough to deal with the first time around. 

You can always email the author to ask for permission and post his written response but we have to remember, he is in this to make money.  A LOT of work went into those books and they probably won't want to give the information away free.    I hate to be the grinch but we have always been careful not to step on someone's toes.  :blackcat:

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 01:15:32 am »
 :bow: I got the message!  :dunno2:

But there is a problem here. Let us say I made something with my photos, the idea came from the book and I post it in Show and tell. I don't say anything how I did it. Someone want to know HOW. What then? That is how everyone learn, from tutorials written by others or from Carl's long videos. Where have Carl learned his knowledge? From the book I think.

But, I shall not say anything...not untill I've learned more!  :no-no:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 11:37:10 am »
Grethe, all of those things you mentioned, the tutorials, etc. are offered for free.   When you post in Show and Tell, you don't have to give a complete description of how you did something, you can generalize without giving the exact tip. 

You may not have been around when we had the copyright issue before.  One of our members (Acadie) was using copyrighted images as illustrations for her painting classes. She used a lot of excerpts from the author's book.  Once the book author found out about it, their attorney sent out letters to me (because she was a board member) and to her. They were very threatening letters.  I explained to them that it was not done with my blessing and that I was only the owner of the board and not involved. They threatened to shut PIRC down.  Took a bit to get them to understand that I did not condone it.  In the end, they forced Acadie to put a post on her board stating that she was a thief and used copyrighted images that were stolen from (company name) and she had to leave it up for 30 days. She also had to post it here and there was also a fine of almost $1,000. 

After the 30 days was up, she shut down her page and we never heard from her again.  That was such a loss because she did beautiful work.  I am really strict about people posting anything copyrighted as I don't want to go through that again.   It was not a happy time for any of us because she was our friend.  I don't know what she was thinking because she didn't need to take someone elses work, her own was beautiful.

So, you can tell what you did without quoting directly from the book and if you do that, you need to mention that you got the idea from the workbook.   :bow:

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 12:27:36 pm »
You're right, ML, I wasn't here when the issue about Acadie was going on. I remember the name because somehow I'd a link to her page at a time. It must have been really very seriouse and frightning to deal with such.

Of course, we all want to protect our creations, photos or images, no problems with that.
The problem with the book tips and advices are, you use them on your own photos and images, but you can't tell EXACTLY how/what you did. To me this is a bit contradictory.
I will stick to that and only tell in general term what I did!

But I bow and will not say anything in details. OK, ML?
End of discussion, it takes too much on me.

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 12:54:46 pm »
I heard about the issue with Acadie.  I think she was one of the tutors on a painting course I did with PI International many years ago. The name seems familiar.

Wouter, I believe got into hot water over copyright issues. He was an excellent digital artist too.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 03:40:21 pm »
Grethe - that sounds good to me.  Just don't give exact instructions... you might suggest that you found it in the workbook and people might want to buy it.

Sheryl, yes Acadie (Norma) did have the painting class but I it wasn't through PII - it was the school that Virginia ran. Don't even remember the name of it now.  As for Wouter, I never heard of him ever getting into copyright issues as he was very much against it.  He left the boards in 2008 and he and his partner went off to explore the world.  Heard from him a few times but not in recent years.  He's a very private person and an excellent artist.  Last time I heard from he and his partner were off in some other part of the world.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)