Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Not sure....  (Read 229 times)

Offline Linda2Topic starter

Not sure....
« on: December 02, 2017, 09:41:04 am »
Well, I awoke to Windows leaving a huge update on my PC last night.  The upshot is , at the present I am giving Edge a try as my browser.  Totally unsure if this is a keeper or not since it seems to be so different but I am trying to be open minded about it.  I may be yelling for some advice to those of you who have already given it a go.   Ho, Ho, Ho..... :xmas77:

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline MaryLou

Re: Not sure....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 12:19:27 pm »
Linda, I got that huge update yesterday too!  It took almost 2 hours!!!  Not sure what it updated or what is new though.  They should leave you a message saying what they did.

As for Edge, I just switched to that a few days ago and I'm starting to like it!  I've used Firefox ever since it first came out and it has always been my browser of choice (It was IE before that). However, they did an upgrade almost 2 weeks ago that causes my system to hang up when playing Facebook games.  After about the 5th time of locking up, I switched over to Chrome.  Got all my bookmarks (favorites) imported but just couldn't get comfortable with it. I didn't like the way it handled my bookmarks. 

So, about 3 days ago, I tried Edge.  I deleted any bookmarks that were already there and was able to import my favorites from FF and they are now exactly the same way as they were before.  That alone makes it more comfortable.  I also find it to be very fast.. another nice feature!   I finally came to the conclusion that Edge is the best "fit" for me since it is a product of Windows, it is designed to be compatible, and it really is. 

Bottom line is..  I love it!!  No more FireFox, Chrome, or IE for me - except for when testing out a web page!!   :xmas03:

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 12:29:57 pm »
Well, I am not to that stage yet.....but I did uninstall FF and got rid of all that headache anyway.  Yeah, FF had become real unstable for me too and that is one reason I was looking to find something else.  I still have Chrome and IE, but have been trying diligently to stick with Edge today.  I am feeling a bit more comfortable with it and slowly getting my favorites lined up to my liking but I cannot say that I like it just yet. I am hoping it will grow on me   :xmas64: 

I am not sure how long the whole update took but I went to sign in this morning and got the notice and it was around 10 am before I finally had the ability to navigate anything.  Then I also had to update the iPhones and iPads so it was a right royal PITA to be sure. 

Anyway, so far I am navigating around with minimal problems so I am about ready to open AD and start messing around in there.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »
When I updated Edge with my bookmarks, as I said, I deleted all the existing ones, then went to the side menu and imported from FF.  They all went right into place, just the way I like them.  I didn't have to edit anything at all. I also like the simplicity of the interface. 

You can get rid of all those annoying adverts by going to the microsoft store and downloading the ADBlock app. It's the best one I've seen sofar.  I like that it has a temporary pause blocking option.  It also blocks you from going to pages that might be adverts, etc but you can override that by holding the Shift key and clicking on the link.    I thought my old blocker was good but this one has it beat.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 06:16:25 am »
IE became so unstabil, I had to change to Edge. Didn't like at first, but now I've got familiar with it. It works, it's fast and doesn't hang up. You have to change soon or later.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 01:39:43 pm »
Grethe, I have to agree with you - Edge has the edge over the other browsers.   Chrome isn't bad but I don't like the way things are arranged on the top part.    Edge lets me have it just the way it was in FireFox. 

Way back in ancient times, it was a battle between Netscape and IE.  I went back and forth between them but iE eventually won out.  Then up pops FireFox. I was totally sold on that one.  Don't know what ever happened to Netscape.. it sort of fell off the face of the net.  Google, in their attempt to control everything came out with Chrome and of course Microsoft re-wrote their browser and called it Edge.  I'm going to stick with Edge.  I like how it works and I love how fast it is.  Just takes a few days to let it grow on one. :xmas37: :xmas37:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 12:44:22 am »
i know this is nit picking but ....
in edge when i go to my website and click on a texture so the image shows bigger ..edge places that image on a white background and top left
i dont like that.
in chrome and firefox it is placed in the center and on a black background  i DO like that.
if you know of a way or hear of a way to make it center and an a black background would you please let me know .

Offline Grethe

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:03 am »
I remember Netscape! It was near the end when I started and my husband used it in his work, but like everything, develop change things and we have to follow.  :xmas74:

Offline Grethe

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 12:51:22 am »
Teejay, put the bigger image on it's own page where you decide the background and link to that page. I did that for my photos etc.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:22 am »
yes the bigger image has its own wrl and is linked to the smaller image but in edge it plonks it top right  on white ...

are you saying to make a huge black background and place my image on it and then link to that.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 05:45:25 am »
yes the bigger image has its own wrl and is linked to the smaller image but in edge it plonks it top right  on white ...

are you saying to make a huge black background and place my image on it and then link to that.
Yes, that is what I did. Like this: http://www.cegredesign.dk/photos/natur/field.htm
You make a small black tiled background, and if I remember correct now, you code the back with something like bgproperties="fixed" I'm sure ML will help you.
The black I used here is 500x500, but I have others that is only 100x100px

Offline Teejay

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:13:07 am »
ohhhhhhhhhh I think I get it  I will have a play and see if I can  do it ...

thanks you so much grethe.

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 06:58:38 am »
I've been using Edge for a couple of years now. Prior to that I used IE and had issues on a daily basis, freezing and so on. I will always prefer IE but I can't be doing with all the grief it causes so Edge is here to stay as I haven't had any stability or reliability issues with it whatsoever.  Life is good!  :xmas37:

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:36 am »
Awoke yesterday to a dead PC.....the dreaded BSOD.  Bought a brand new one and got it set up late yesterday.  Very little problems and all my files were restored quickly with the backup I had previously set up, so all is well there.  I am in the process of weeding and cleaning and general housekeeping.  I will be back soon I hope.  In the meantime I am peeking in every now and then to make sure y'all don't do anything absolutely awesome that I might miss.   Ho, Ho, Ho....and all that.

Offline Majse

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44:06 am »
I am getting used to Edge - I liked Explorer better but I think it is dying  :violin: And the "future" comes no matter what LOLL

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)