Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Computer Hackers  (Read 195 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Computer Hackers
« on: December 04, 2017, 01:55:50 pm »
OH my goodness, I just got a call from a lady with a horribly thick accent!  It was hard to understand her so I told her to talk slower because I couldn't understand her.  So, she repeats her introduction of herself as a representative of Microsoft and is calling me because they got a signal that someone is trying to hack into my computer!   Horrors!!  Imagine that!  And, how nice of Microsoft to actually call me!!

I let her ramble on and asked her how she knew that and she said they could see the signals at Microsoft and that she needed access to my computer right away so they could stop the hackers.

So, what should I do??  Give her access?  Naw... that would be too easy!  So, I said,  "Hackers?? Really?  How cool!!  I've never been hacked before and this is pretty exciting!".  Well, that sort of threw her off script and she said something that I couldn't decipher.  I then told her how happy I was and that there's nothing they can learn about me because I only have games on my computer and they're welcome to join me in the games. 

There was dead silence on her end... I kept saying,  "Hello? Hello? Are you still there?"  Apparently, she didn't know what to say so she hung up. 

These people seem to think we're stupid or something.  I can't count how many times "Microsoft" has called me over the years.  Have to give them credit because they keep trying!!   The last time, I convinced the caller that I didn't have a computer and wouldn't know what to do with one if I did have one.  She was very confused because she said their signal said otherwise.   When you throw them off their script, they are at a loss for words.  We're probably going to be getting a lot of calls like this at year end so....  just be aware, they are still out there!   :smiley01:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Online Teejay

Re: Computer Hackers
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:17:33 pm »
oh boy oh boy i cant wait
 :xmas74:

Offline San

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:55:11 pm »
We have been getting a lot  telling you  there is a problem with your Internet. When I ask them what is Internet  they hang  up on me how rude are they.

I have not had Microsoft for along time I better touch some wood.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:35:05 pm »
It amazes me at how many people will actually fall for their line.  You'd think, by now, everyone would know they are scammers. I love to taunt them.  One time when they called,  I asked them  What computer?   She replied, the one you are using.  I told her I was using two of them - my desktop and my laptop and surely both are not infected.  That obviously wasn't on her script card because she stuttered and didn't know what to say.  So, she wanted to start with my main one, then we could check the laptop.    I asked her if she thought I was an idiot?  she didn't answer... just hung up.  She knew I was on to her. 

I often wonder exactly what kind of information they are trying to get?   :xmas77:

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:03:16 am »
I had a similar call from an American guy saying he worked for Microsoft and was ringing to help me fix a flaw in my temp folder of all places!  In the end I let him ramble and then he asked for 100 to fix my issue.....the issue I didn't have! lol

Yes, they think some people are pretty stupid and I guess they are right as some people, unbelievably, do fall for these scams including accountants, Lawyers and the like. I guess no matter how clever you are, if you are not clued up in a particular field then it is far easier to be vulnerable to these things.  I am pretty hard to scam and always think if something sounds too good to be true then it generally is.

Online Teejay

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:23:42 am »
nothing yet :xmas46:

Offline Grethe

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:12:26 am »
Too bad I don't hear the phone! Oh, I should had the fun of the year with that!  :smiley01: :smiley01:

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:31 pm »
Don't feel badly, Teejay.  they'll catch up with you eventually.   :xmas03:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)