Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Clipping vs. Nesting ~ Lynn  (Read 74 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Clipping vs. Nesting ~ Lynn
« on: December 05, 2017, 03:47:50 pm »
The most recent AD Beta, 1.6.3.96, which was posted to the Affinity Forum yesterday, lists among the Fixes the following:

Changed Layers panel to add more distinction between clipped and nested layers

This surprised me, as I thought clipping and nesting were the same thing. If anyone has downloaded the Beta and can see what they are talking about, please enlighten me!

Online Teejay

Re: Clipping vs. Nesting ~ Lynn
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:48 am »
mmmm that sounded interesting so I downloaded the beta

how I read that was they were going to make a bigger difference to nested and or clipped layer against a normal layer without clip or nesting applied

nesting is clipping as far as I am aware.

anyway I opened both the AD's and  repeated the same sample and looked at the layers I see NO difference  in clipped nested or normal layer

the beta is the left. I also  tried it in the dark UI  but had the same results no difference between the two.

Always Buy The Big Ones.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:41:13 am »
They sure look identical to me.

I'm absolutely not going to worry about it!

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:34:38 am »
My goodness what is going on with Serif announcing changes and updates when it is hard to see any differences they've made. I just don't get it and think they are having a laugh! lol  :xmas03: :xmas74: :xmas51:

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:04:37 am »
But, Shez, does this sound something like we had in AP lately...merging down and not clipping/nesting?

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »
I think the correct term in AP & AD is Nesting but it is the same method as Clipping which is the term used in Photoshop, PSP (If I recall correctly) and some other programmes Grethe.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 02:10:36 pm »
I don't think merging down is the same thing as nesting or clipping.   I think they are trying to include Photoshop terminology to attract those users.  Lynn, maybe you could ask them to be more specific about that one point?

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »
I'm not participating in the Beta. I just looked at the Fixes listed in the latest one.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 02:29:23 pm »
There is an obtion called mask to below in both apps and I think it behave different than clipping/nesting. Not sure what the different are yet. I've have them and I don't use beta version.

Modified
Did a small test. See the image

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)