Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Windows Update? ...Grethe  (Read 460 times)

Offline GretheTopic starter

Windows Update? ...Grethe
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:12:27 am »
Microsoft is coming with a really huge update in May! But...Should we take it or not?

Offline Majse

Re: Windows Update? ...Grethe
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:23:54 am »
Oh no - not another one...

I don't know how we can avoid it, Grethe

Offline Rege

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:28:04 am »
I've never had a problem with Microsoft updates, so I'll let it install (keeping my fingers crossed as always).

Offline Linda2

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:43:19 am »
Well, I have had a few mishaps with my system after some of the updates, but most of the time I have been able to fix it  myself, so yes, I will do the updates when they become available.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »
I'm with Rege.  I always do the updates.  My system is set to do them automatically.  I've only had a problem once and that could have been my fault.  I just did a restore prior to the update and all was well.  I hope they don't make too many changes to the User interface though.  I just get used to where to find something, and the next time around, it's like playing hide and seek!!

Those updates are for a reason. There is either a security leak of some kind or they've fixed a bunch of bugs.  And, they do not charge for the updates!  So, I say...   go for it!! :praise53:

Offline GretheTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:55:28 pm »
I do have the updates set for automatically, so I plan to continue. Just wanted to read what the rest of you do!

Offline San

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:06:01 pm »
I let my laptop do the updates automatically  but when I go away as I don't want Windows updating while I am away as my mobile wifi is limited to how much data I can use and it is expensive to keep putting more on so I switch the  Windows updates off and turn them back on when I get back home.

HERE is the site  Just scroll down the page a bit.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:11:00 pm »
I got an email from windows today ...this is what it said I haven't a clue what they are on about ...
anyone here know...

Discover the new tools and features that come with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, plus get details on downloading the new Windows SDK. With the new Update, you'll be able to:
Add Windows Machine Learning to your application just by dragging your model into Visual Studio, loading the model, then executing it based on inputs.
Re-engage users with your application by utilizing User Activities, and Adaptive Cards with Timeline.
Add new functionality and richness to your application with new UX controls, including tree view, pull to refresh, content links, and more.
Create multi-instance applications, allowing new processes to be launched and expanding opportunities for customization.
For a step-by-step breakdown on how to update your system and acquire the Windows SDK, read the new blog post by Clint Rutkas.
READ THE BLOG POST

Follow Us

now that was scary ...what ...what is it all about ..
I followed the link it does go to Microsoft and all sorts of pc gibberish...lol 

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:40 pm »
I don't have a clue what they're talking about.  It's all Greek to me!!  If I haven't had it before, I probably can live without it but I'll still let it update! :yes03:

Offline Majse

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 10:06:39 am »
I will update - I always do. But sometimes I hate it because of the problems I have had

Teejay - I don't know what they are talking about. But I think it is something I don't need LOLL

Offline Linda R

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 11:26:21 am »
Wow Teejay!  I read up on the update but it didn't sound anything like what you got!!!  Your e-mail sounds a bit scary!
I don't mind updates but something with my PC doesn't like the big ones!  The last one made my PC totally unusable and I had to start all over from scratch.  I really don't want to do that again so soon!   :laugh3:
I did learn from the last time tho, any brushes, assets etc that I create in AD, be sure to export so I don't lose them!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Linda2

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 07:42:06 am »
My PC has updated this morning to Windows 10 v. 1803.  So far I see some cosmetic changes but nothing drastic as of yet.  Wish me luck that this continues as I poke around.....

Offline Majse

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 10:36:51 am »
I got the update on my laptop now - It works. So I hope it will too on my "daily" computer  :yes03:

It took several hours - 5-6 to update

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 12:03:26 pm »
I  wish it  would hurry up and update mine!  My version is 1709.   It did update something earlier this month because when I went to power down for the night, it said it needed to do some updates.  Was hoping that was the "big" one.  Apparently not.  But, whatever it was, it wiped out my network connection to my printer.  Took a while to figure out what was wrong.

Since I had just installed new ink cartridges (generic ones), I thought the printer might not like the cartridges because when I would send things to the printer, nothing happened. Then I decided to copy a document on the printer alone. That worked.  That told me the problem was in the network.  According to the computer, the network had no problems.  According to the printer, it had no problems.  Ended up doing a manual reset of the printer to computer network and all worked fine.  Took a good hour to figure that out. 

I thought maybe I had gotten the latest Windows update but no... still waiting!!
 :cancan:

Offline Rege

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 12:56:35 pm »
I had an update three days ago, I thought it was the big update in May because the three days before my machine was very slow, whether I was on the internet or not, just typing text was six or seven letters late.

Everything is back to normal once the update is installed but I'm like MaryLou with version 1709, the computer tells me I'm up to date so I'm waiting for the rest...

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)