Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Windows Update? ...Grethe  (Read 588 times)

Offline Linda2

Re: Windows Update? ...Grethe
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »
Well, as most of you know I am not the brightest bulb in the box, but I really have seen no changes to speak of.  I  think my PC might run a little faster , and I noticed a  few changes in the Settings area but otherwise it is business as usual for me since the update.  It did take a rather long time from start to finish and I had to go in a change some of my preferences as to the sharing my husband and I  do of our PC's....but other than that I have not noticed anything different.  I'm sure though, that some of you will find all sorts of stuff and post it.....and I will go look ….. and I'll be all agog.  That's the way it usually happens. In the past I was known as one to "fix it till I broke it", but these days I am less adventurous. :lol05:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 09:10:39 pm »
I checked my status just before I posted my message.  Went back just now to see if anything was happening because my system has been running like a snail.  So, I clicked on the Check for updates and it says.. preparing to install!!  Win 10, 1803 finally.  Going to grab the laptop and see if it's ready to update too. :praise53:

Offline Rege

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 08:00:35 am »
Version 1803 is installed (5 h 40' for that), for the moment everything is fine.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 01:49:18 pm »
I'm living in a Microsoft nightmare!!   I updated my laptop to the latest Windows version and all went well.  Perfect, even though it did take around 6 hours. 

At the same time, I decided to update the desktop and oh boy, nothing but a headache!  After it went through the regular update, a second message popped up saying it had Defender updates so I figured I might as well do that too. Everything went well.  Then the system reboot and wanted me to choose my keyboard.  So, I chose the US one.  It sent me to the next screen with a few options with the first being a Windows rollback option or go to the next screen to reset the system.  Neither is what I wanted to do but there were no other options, no other way out.

So, went to Microsoft support forum and tried everything that was suggested but nothing worked.  Now, when I boot up, I get a partial boot and a message saying SIhost.exe - unknown error followed by explorer.exe unknown error and then a black screen.  That's where I am right now. 

So, since my laptop is okay, the next suggestion is to make a USB drive and use that to boot the desktop.  Would need at least an 8gb drive. Both of mine are 4gb.  Went to Amazon and orderd a 64gb usb drive.  That should be more than big enough!   It won't be here until Wednesday so in the meantime, I'm on my little laptop.  It is driving me crazy because under Win 10 1803, I can't find where to disable the touch pad!  I hate that thing!  In the old Win systems, there was an option to turn it off if a mouse was detected but apparently not in this one!

Wish me luck...  I hope I can get my Windows  back without having to take it in to Best Buy - they take forever and charge a fortune!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 02:06:27 pm »
I wish you luck ML its a living nightmare when things go wrong .

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 08:28:04 pm »
You are so right!!  I've spent all day updating my laptop with things I had backed up but..  I only ad backups through March of this year.  Even  if  I should lose everything on my desktop, I will only have lost 2 months of stuff and that's not bad.  I can live with that.

I'm glad I have webmail!   However, I don't have any contacts since I always use Incredimail.  Much to my surprise, I found where I had exported my contacts in March.  It was hiding in one of the backups.  Next step is to import them into my webmail so I can annoy all my friends!

The only thing that REALLY annoyed me was the touch pad on the laptop.  If I even slightly touched it, strange things happened.  By afternoon, I finally we went to ASUS support.  In the old Windows, there was an option to automatically turn the touch pad off is a mouse was detected.  They no longer have that.   Tech support must have thought I was REALLY stupid because when I asked how to turn it off, he said, "Did you try pressing Fn+F9? "  No, I had not and when I looked at the F9 key, there was a picture of a tiny tocuhpad with an X through it.  DUH!!  I've had this for 4 years and didn't know what that was!

I am hoping that it will boot from the thumb drive.  They have step-by-step instructions waiting for me right down to how to open the BIOS and set it to boot from the thumbdrive.  Keeping fingers crossed!!  Won't know untll Wednesday.

Offline Majse

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 01:55:33 am »
Good luck, MaryLou

I am still waiting for the update to my "daily" computer. UUUUh I hope it will work

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 05:39:05 pm »
I basically had to start over.  I was able to create a bootable USB thumbdrive and used that to install Win 10 1803.  It was a long process but finally am back to normal.  I lost a lot of things like my stored emails and such and had to re-install all my  programs, and it seems all of those needed to be updated too.  I was fortunate in that I had backed up almost everything to an external drive about 2 months ago. 

When the windows was re-installed, it put all of my files into a folder called windows.old  so I was able to recover some things from there before I deleted it.

Right now, my computer only has on it things that I actually use. Was a good time to clean everything up and re-think some of the stuff I had installed.  It's like having a brand new computer!!  I only have one more program that I need to clean up but it's a minor task.

Have ordered a 16gb thumb drive from Amazon so I can create a bootable drive and will also create a Restore point on my computer so I'll be pretty well covered.   Was a pain to deal with but the end results are worth it.

Offline Majse

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 11:26:32 pm »
OMG such work - life was simpler before computers. I don't want to think about how much time I use on computers - updating. Smartphones updating etc.

But I can't live without my computer  :look:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 12:03:17 am »
I don't think I would know how to live without a computer.  I have been using one for at least the last 50 years.  I was a computer programmer starting back in the 60's when people didn't have them in their homes.  I literally grew up with a computer in front of me and as the technology grew, I grew right along with it.  Built my first PC as well as several others. This was at a time when you couldn't walk into a store and buy one, you bought the parts and a few weeks later, you picked your computer up in the store.  I didn't want to wait so I bought the parts and did it myself.

Here all these years later and the first thing I do each  morning is turn the computer on!  They'll probably find my body slumped over my computer desk one of these days.   :laugh1:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 02:02:49 am »
yep ..and me ... i will probably go the same way.

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 03:10:56 am »
Not enough that I have no kitchen and the house is in chaos and the shock
of the electrician having to drill holes in the hallway ceiling
to do new wiring for the new kitchen goods etc,this morning Windows won’t start...so no pc at the moment. Last time I used it (Saturday) i noticed Windows had updated. Can’t help thinking it more than a coincidence. After every update I get issues with my PC. No wonder users are reluctant to update and it shouldn’t be that way.

Offline Majse

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:37 am »
 :lol05: It must have been really fun to be "in it" from the start, MaryLou. What a change from big computers - monitors to small ones. And the programs

I have had a computer for many years but not 50! LOLL

I know what you mean, SherylC. I can get really stressed when the computer doesn't work

Offline San

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 01:21:52 pm »
This is the first time my laptop updated with no problems.

I would be lost without a computer I have to have two so if one breaks down I got another one to use.

Sheryl hope you get your PC working soon you have enough problems with having your house renovated.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 01:36:25 pm »
Majse, we didn't have monitors back then. They had not yet been invented.  We hand-coded the programs and sent the coded sheets to the keypunch department where they punched our code into cards.  We got the cards back, then fed them into a sorter and or a collator, which we had to "wire" it to do what we wanted.  From there, the cards were fed into the computer and if there were errors, the computer spit the cards out along with the error messages.  For large systems like a payroll system, no program could be larger than 64kb so we had to write a whole series of programs and link them together to run it.

Was really an exciting time.  The hard drive were I worked was incredible!  It had 4 platters and each platter held 5 meg which gave us a 20 mg hard drive.  It was huge too.  We could watch the read/write heads go back and forth reading what was on the platters.  prior to that, everything was put on tape drives. I got to see it from the start and am still  here fascinated by these things!  It's amazing when you think of it.  That first computer took an entire room to house it. It had a sub floor 3 ft. high so cool air could be blown under the computer to keep it cool.  The room that housed the computer was pretty much a "sterile" room and had to be kept at a specific temperature.   

When I look at my all-in-one computer today, it's hard to believe.  The entire computer, hard drive, speakers, and everything else is built into one computer monitor that is only a few inches thick and can do a million times more the work than the big IBM did.  We've come such a long way!   :praise53:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)