Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Windows Hello  (Read 82 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Windows Hello
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:18:24 am »
A week or so ago, my computer notified that there was an update, and I said to install it. I went away from my computer and came back after 25 minutes to see how the update was going. To my surprise, it was done.

The only change I have noticed after this update is that there are now two options shown for access. One is Windows Hello and the other is using one's Microsoft Account Password. I had never head of Windows Hello so I did a search on it. Turns out it is a way to sign in with various biometrics. However, you have to have a new computer that will work with Hello. So for me having it show as an option is meaningless.

Is anyone using Windows Hello?

Offline Majse

Re: Windows Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:00 am »
I don't, Lynn. And I haven't heard about it

They put so much new stuff in our computeres and I have given up understanding them

Offline Linda R

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »
Is the 4 digit pin number still an option for log on?  I have the message that the update is ready to install and I just dread it.  For some reason, since I got windows 10 my PC does not like to restart.  Quite often it just stops and I have to manually shut it down and start it back up.  The last major update caused a total crash and I had to redo everything.

Offline LynnTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:11:27 pm »
I haven't used the Pin, Linda, but I think maybe MaryLou does.

I haven't had any problems since a big Windows update messed up my sound. I had to get the computer tech at the company that built my computer to sort that out. I was really glad this update went smoothly.

Offline Linda2

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 04:11:59 pm »
No, I don't have it Lynn. My PC , although rather new, does not support it.  I do not have touch enabled or a camera set up, and from what little I read about it one or the other of those must be in play in order to use Hello.  It's just a fancy way of signing in I think.  I have my PC set up to not have to sign in and usually keep my sound muted so this set up works for me.
This latest update went rather smoothly and with little after effects....as opposed to the earlier one which really caused some issues.  I don't remember exactly how long the update took but it was several hours from start to finish.  I was a nervous wreck waiting for it to complete and hoping and praying that things would go good.  They did.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 05:31:47 pm »
I don't use any of the above.  Since I am the only one who lives here, other than Daisy, I don't need to type in a password so I have mine set up so Windows will automatically sign me in.

I am aware of the Faceview and the 3 digit thing but I don't need that kind of security.  If something happens to me, my daughter will need the ability to access my computer.  So, I opted to let Windows log me in automatically using my Microsoft password. 

It's VERY simple so if anyone is interested in doing this, I can post instructions.  You don't need to  be a computer wiz to do it - no coding, just how to access the auto-log in screen, and typing in your password.  Simple as that.

I can see where some people might need strict logging in access but as I said, if I used face recognition, my daughter wouldn't be able to log in unless I also set her up as a user and when it comes to 4-digit passwords, I have so many going around in my head that I go crazy!   Anyway, those are nice features if you really need that much security.   

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)