Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Life Changes!  (Read 196 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Life Changes!
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:44:22 pm »
It's so difficult to change your daily habits after 11 years, but sometimes you have no choice.  That's what I am doing now, trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do when I get up in the morning, etc.

My Daisy crossed over the Rainbow Bridge this last Tuesday.  It was a difficult decision and one I certainly didn't want to make, but I didn't want to see her suffering. She lost her eyesight earlier this year and was having trouble adjusting to where things were in the house.  I did everything I could to help her find things.  To make matters worse, she also had diabetes.  When she refused to eat food, I knew her system was shutting down. Took her to the vet Tuesday but came home alone.  The vet said they could keep her alive for a bit longer if they put her in the hospital and started an IV and then start with insulin shots twice a day.  I asked if that would make her better. She was honest and said no, it would only prolong her life for a short time.  She asked me if I had considered the alternative.  I knew what she meant and said yes, I had. She said it would be the best thing for her as she would have no more pain and wouldn't  suffer.  So, once again, life changes.

I have not come home without an animal to greet me in the last 16 years.  The home feels so empty.  No toys to pick up, no meals to fix, no one to wake me up in the mornings and all the other little things that one does daily when they have pets.  So, the "empty nest" syndrome is having its effect.  Will take some time to adjust, especially to the quiet.. but I will.  People have suggested that I get another dog or cat but I won't be doing that.  Not at my age, and I don't want to go through losing another one.   

Daisy had a good life.  Was very spoiled and had everything a dog could want so I can  take comfort in knowing I did my best for her.  She was such a little sweetie and very much missed.

Offline San

Re: Life Changes!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:17:14 pm »
Oh MaryLou I am so sorry but you did the right thing you do no want to see her suffer.  She has been with you for a long time it is awful when you loose your best friend.  It is going to take a long time to adjust without her.

Daisy did have a good life with you I am sure other dogs would have been jealous that they are living with you. 

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:40:10 pm »
oh no

we will all miss her...
she was and still is one very special friend.
i am so sorry MaryLou .

Offline Linda2

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 02:36:03 pm »
Oh no MaryLou, I am so sad to read this.  Sincere condolences on the loss of your friend Daisy.  I totally understand the pain their leaving causes...Ö...

Offline Linda R

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:51:14 pm »
Oh MaryLou I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy.  It is such a hard choice to make but she is not suffering now.   
So very sorry for your loss.  Hugs for you. . .

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 11:05:24 pm »
i am so sorry....it IS heartwrenching....
ive had to do it twice in the past year.....
ive said NO MORE a few times, but a stray will somehow find its way here...
love

Offline Grethe

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:41:40 am »
I'm so sorry for your loss, ML. Time will help you heal.

Offline Nicky

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 11:32:53 am »
Mary Lou sorry for your loss. Daizy had a good life.  It takes time ...

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:28 pm »
Thank you, everyone for your condolences. Anyone who's had to have a pet put down knows how difficult it is.  Daisy was my constant companion for 11 years.  She was never more than 3 feet away from me at any time.  I feel the loss when I look down and she's not sitting on the floor next to me.  I always shared whatever I was eating with her.  If I was eating a cookie, she got a small piece.  She always got the last bite of a drumbstick icecream. Even last night as I ate my dinner, I cut a little piece of meat and reached down but she wasn't there.  When I went to bed, she wasn't there to snuggle up and lick my cheek. 

I know all of this will pass in time.  It was the same way when Callie, my cat got sick.  I still think of her but I no longer look around to see where she is or what she's doing. Time heals all wounds.  I just keep busy and try not to think about it.  I have a lot of work that needs to be done both inside and out and want to accomplish as much as I can before those 3-digit temps are back for the summer.

Again, thank you all. :yes03:

Offline Majse

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 08:54:34 am »
I am so, so sorry, MaryLou. I am crying with you - I think I know how you feel. We love our furbabies so much. I am glad you did this for Daisy. The last thing you could do for her

Sending lots of thoughts

Hugs, Majse

Offline LaDonna

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 09:05:46 pm »
I was checking in as I usually do on a regular basis, and was so sorry to hear of your loss. I had to make the same decision for a dog and a cat. Pets are indeed family, and it is difficult when we lose them. I hope you'll have some comfort knowing you gave her a loving home.

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:18:46 am »
Iíve been away past 3 weeks and missed this.
I am so sorry for the loss of your much-loved pet (and loyal friend) MaryLou. Words are simply not enough but want you to know that I am thinking of you.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 01:21:22 pm »
Thank you, LaDonna and Sheryl.  I think it's worse losing a pet when you have to make that decision  for them. I know it was the best for her but definitely not for me.  It's been 3 weeks and I am finally starting to sleep more than an hour at a time but I swear, I hear her moving around on the bed trying to get under the covers.  i miss having her greet me when I come in from shopping.  It's so quiet. I know it will all pass, it always does.  She did have a pretty good life and wanted for nothing.  That is my consolation.

I will have to say, those Hershey kisses in my Hershey crystal dish help a lot too!   :smiley01:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 03:13:11 pm »
what was that .....  hershy kisses

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 03:44:02 pm »
Yup!!!  And they're all mine!!!  Some years back, LaDonna was at the Hershey plant and she sent me a beautiful crystal dish with a lid that is in the shape of a large  Hershey kiss!  It also came with a bag full of kisses but I have long since gobbled those all down and have bought many refills for it.  It's right here in my family room where I can grab one every time someone mentions "chocolate"!! 

You wouldn't want me to share these ones, they are milk chocolate.  :laugh1:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)