Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : PIRC eCARDS

Author Topic: Scanning  (Read 76 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Scanning
« on: May 18, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
In PhotoImpact and PSP, if we wanted to draw something on paper, we could do that, then scan the drawing into the program where we could trace it or whatever using our computer.

I wanted to scan something the other day and add arrows and highlight some text but to my surprise, I didn't find any scanning options in AD or AP!   

So, how do you all get documents into your graphic program without it having scanner options?  I suppose I could use the scanner program that came with my Epson, then open it in AD or AP but that seems like a bit of a step back.  I would much rather have scanning options than all those word processing options that are in AD.  :help01:

Offline Teejay

Re: Scanning
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »
I scan a document and save as png or jpg to my files.
Then  i can open it in any program as an image file.
I have always done it like that.
Hope it helps.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »
I have only scanned using PhotoImpact and PSP because both have scanner options.  I'm disappointed that AD doesn't have that too.  I will have to find where my scanning software is hiding and use that.  Bummer!! :no-no:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
even though i have a scanner  it has never been compatible with any program so i just scan  and 'save as'   browse  to where i want to save it.
NOW i am going to have to look and see what i have been missing...lol

Offline San

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
I have always scanned and saved to a file  I know PSP and PI had that you can open your scanner in there work space but I hardly ever uses it so I do not think I will miss it.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
It's just so darn easy to pick Scanner from the menu in the program and scan directly.  I'm not even sure if  I have any scanning software!   My printer will scan to memory card, then  have to pop that into the computer.  PI will let me scan a preview, then change the settings to black and white and several other settings, change the DPI, and it has a lot of various filters that I can set.  Can't do that on the printer.  I can  also select just the area I want to scan...

It has the option to scan to PC but it won't recognize my computer.   Guess I'll have to keep PI as my scanner program! :jumpy:

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »
Went to Epson site and found a scanning utility that works from the PC.  That's exactly what I had in PI so now I  am a happy camper!!   I don't need PI to scan with.  Actually, that's kind of sad because I'm using PI less and less these days.  It's still the best program for cropping and combining images so I'll keep it for a  bit.  :angel04:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:53:33 AM »
I either use the Epson software which was included with the purchase of the Epson Printer (Expression XP 720) or Photoshop, using the Import option.   
A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight!.

Offline Lynn

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
When I originally got a computer (with Windows 98 on it!) I also bought a printer and a scanner. The scanner is long gone, as I have an all-in-one Canon PIXMA now that scans as well as prints.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
Lynn, I remember those days.   I also had a printer and a scanner.  One needed a good size desk in those days!  I now have an Epson all-in-one that does everything but sing to me!   I always used the scanner via whatever programs I had installed. The scanner shows up under the File menu.    When I looked for this in AD, it wasn't there!

Anyway, I went to Epson's web site and found the stand-alone scanner program so now, I can scan things via my computer so I am, once again, a happy camper!!   :cancan: :cancan:

Check out our awesome selection of FREE ecards! Send them to family and friends. Schedule them in advance. All cards are originals and made by our PIRC artists!