Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Annoying action?  (Read 462 times)

Offline Lin

Re: Annoying action?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 07:03:33 AM »
 :laugh1: hah ha TeeJay, if they do that I'll go .. HUH??? LOL

Online Linda2

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
this makes my head hurt....LOL.  I know it must be "right", but honestly it is so deep that I can hardly comprehend it. LOL.  Of course, keep in mind that it does not take much to confuse me either.  At the present I am happy with having it on my toolbar and the right click capability if I choose.....so for my very limited typed of graphic I am going to leave well enough alone. But I admire all you folks who are smart enough to figure it out!  :clap2:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
All it means is.. when you are done aligning your shapes
Instead of clicking the ok button..... click one of your shapes... yep thats it.

Online Linda2

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Well that sounds simple enough....but if I ever do have a configuration such as this that calls for that type of action I'm sure I will still do it the old way.  But it is nice to know there are other ways to accomplish an action.  Thanks .    :ok2:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline San

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
You confuse me Teejay I cannot get it to do it.  I will stick with having it on the toolbar and being able to right click.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
:thud:    :laugh2:

SueHonstain

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
I access align through the top menu bar not the arrange icons on the top toolbar. I'm gathering you use the arrange icon on the top toolbar and not the menus bar at the top of the AD interface ... Since you all have learned before me you must have learned to align in the beta lessons before getting the non-beta version.  Could that be the issue in using the full version of AD  vs the beta version learning lessons?  Just wondering.......  :question:

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
Sue, you get the same options that come up when you select Alignment from a right-click.  These two menus do not give you choices like spacing the icons evenly apart.  There are more options available under the mislabeled "Arrange" icon on the toolbar.    There is one major difference.   When you use the options from the menu bar and the right-click, you can only do ONE action and that one action is automatically applied.

When you use the options on the "Arrange" dropdown, you can do several actions at the same time.  You can align to the top, center, and space evenly apart, change it to align to the top, and  when you like the results, you can accept them.  Or, as Teejay discovered, instead of clicking the Done button, you can click on the selected object(s).

You don't have to click a "Done" button or accept the settings because you can only do one setting at a time.  Hope this makes sense.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »
o.m.g.
you understood me ....you got it you got it .thank you  ML you 'got' it ...

SueHonstain

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »
Will we receive instructions on the align and arrange icons/buttons of AD as well? You and Teejay seem to be well versed on this subject as others are as well.  I see this as advanced learning vs beginner learning. :thanks06: 

I s this a different question than you we asking them to take the Okay away from having to accept aligning in AD FORUM in the past couple of days. Clicking on arrange has an OK or Cancel button to click on. Which seems different from what you and Teejay were addressing above.

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
Sue, I doubt if I'll be doing a tutorial on this but I posted this on the Affinity forum and thought it would be good to post it here too:

To clarify things regarding alignment, there are three different ways to access the alignment tools in Windows.

First is from the Menu bar (Layer\Alignment).
Second is a right-click  on the selected objects
Third, click the mis-named Arrange icon on the toolbar

Using either of the first two methods, you do not have to click "OK" because you have only ONE option and that is the one you selected.

When using the Arrange icon, you have multiple choices and can change them several times over until you like what you have, then hit the "OK" button.   Teejay has discovered you can also click on the selection and it will have the same effect as "OK".

Each of the three methods have different options on the menus.

First, the Menu bar options are:
Align left, Align Center, Align Right
Align Top, Align Middle, Align Bottom
Space Horizontally, Space Vertically
Distribute Horizontally
Distribute Vertically

Second, the Right-click options are:
Align left, Align Center, Align Right
Align Top, Align Middle, Align Bottom

Third, the Arrange Icon drop-down:
All of the options mentioned above
You can specify how many pixels apart to distribute your objects
There are three options that you can align to,
and a few more ..

Again, with this option, you can make multiple choices before hitting the "OK" button.  With the first and second methods, you have one choice only and do not have to OK it.

I can kind of see the purpose of the OK  now that I have a better view of all the options.  I do think it's very confusing when there are so many different ways to access an action, especially when they don't have the same options.

And yes, Teejay, I understood what you meant!  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:   I've been watching BBC on TV so I can understand you!  :laugh1:

P.S.   I forgot to mention that you can also access the single action alignment tools via the Context toolbar. However, the Context toolbar is only active when you have selected multiple objects.

SueHonstain

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »
Thank you for this explanation.  I have saved it as a PDF in my documents for AD.

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »
Actually, I guess I could put that in a mini tut and add some images.  Will consider that but at the moment, it's probably not a good time to do it because we need to see what they are doing with the next version.  I always use the Arrange options because it has all the extras and I normally do more than one action. :cheergirl:

SueHonstain

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
Do we know when the next version I'd due to come out MaryLou?  A mini-tut with a few images would be good as there are quite a few of us newbies doing images or trying to do things we haven't a clue how to do. Thanks for all you do to help us all out. :thanks06:

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
Sue, that tool gets to be very confusing!!   I forgot to add one more way.  If you have multiple objects selected, the Context toolbar will  have the single action commands. 

:angel04:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)