Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Photos of Las Vegas - SherylC  (Read 777 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

Photos of Las Vegas - SherylC
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:39:09 am »
Got around to uploading some photos to Facebook of my recent trip to Las Vegas, LA and Arizona but not all.....big job as I take zillions of pics, as we do!. The images are taken using my Iphone camera as we forgot to take our camera lead for charging up. Not the best quality but such is life. There are 6 sets posted. if you are inclined to want to take a look, please do.

https://www.facebook.com/SherylCallard/

Offline Marilyn

Re: Photos of Las Vegas - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:25 pm »
Super shots, Sheryl. Your iPhone night shots of Vegas are particularly impressive. I love the iPhone camera but haven't mastered night settings!
Many years ago, we did the Great West Coast.  Fleeting stops at each port of call but a little longer in Vegas and San Fransisco as I remember. It was a fabulous trip, from desert to snowy forests in just a couple of weeks. I loved every minute and made super memories, as I'm sure you did!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:29:04 pm »
Thank you Marilyn. Your holiday must have been wonderful and just the kind I enjoy.  What did you think of SF?  We were planning a trip to SF next year but may go to Canada again instead. I lived in Toronto many years ago and have visited a few times but never visited Vancouver.  This time we could start in Vancouver and work our way up to Toronto to visit my brother and spend a few nights in Quebec & Montreal along the way. 

Offline Grethe

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »
 :praise59: photos, Shez! You got the essence!  :clap2:

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:35:33 pm »
Thank you Grethe. Appreciate you taking a look. :)

Offline Linda R

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:03 pm »
Wow, great pics Sheryl!  You saw a lot of interesting sites!  I can't even imagine Las Vegas!  Wow!  Thanks for sharing your trip!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:55:56 am »
 :wow2:  GREAT photos, Sheryl!!!  Saw a lot of familiar places!  Have been to Las Vegas at least a dozen times and loved every single trip.  Some were working trips but no one works in the evenings!  Did you get to visit Fremont Street at night when they had the light show?  That was always a highlight for me.

Loved the Aliens!!  That, I have not seen.  Did you win any money??   :laugh2: :laugh2:  Sounds like you had a really great trip!!!  Rebecca is quite grown up now and very pretty!!  Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Have you been to Niagra Falls?  If not, that's an amazing place to go... and it shares a border with Canada! :praise53:

Offline Nicky

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:58 am »
Happy you had a great time. Been there and always enjoy myself.

Offline Marilyn

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 12:52:41 pm »
SF was lovely when we were there, Sheryl, but as I said, it is a long time ago, probably more than 20! My how time flies! We don't travel much these days but it is one holiday that lives brightly in my memory as we had snapshots of so many different places.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:25 am »
The trip was fantastic, better than I thought. I must admit I had some misgivings about going to Las Vegas...heard it's a dangerous place to visit if you go off the beaten track. We didn't do that. Well actually we did venture off Fremont St to go to the Neon Museum. We should have got a taxi but thought the museum was just a few minutes walk, however, it was 30 minute walk and as it was 11.30 pm at night as that was the only time we could get a booking and it was our last night before returning home.
It was very scary and we saw some horrendous sights...people lying in the street drugged up or drunk, or dead even!. Of course we see them in the UK too but to a lesser degree, not so many temptations in the UK as there are in Vegas!

Apart from that it was an excellent trip, really enjoyed it and a great base for exploring other areas. 

Yes we saw the light show at Fremont St MaryLou and it was a wonderful sight. Rebecca has grown up far too quickly as our children do. Thanks for the nice comment...she's our only child (not spoiled though...or maybe just a little! lol) and the light of our lives!. :)

We have no idea how to play slot machines and to be honest not interested in gambling to learn! lol  BUT we had a small gamble of $10 each, just to say we played the slot machines. Rebecca was lucky, she won $20 but lost it again when she had another play. So we didn't return home multi millionaires unfortunately!

MariLyn, I guess it has changed now, like most places do after a period of time. It would be interesting to visit though.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
Sheryl, I'm glad you ventured over to Fremont Street. That's the original Las Vegas where people went before they started building all the huge hotels and such away from that area.  I can't believe you actually walked at night in an area outside of the "beaten path" so to speak.  That was very dangerous.   They have a huge population of homeless and druggies.  Glad you were safe!

San Francisco has changed so much over the years.  I worked there for over 7 years and I loved going to work each day and loved showing the sites off to friends who visited.  Not anymore though. It's become very liberal, a sanctuary city for illegals, many homeless, dirty streets, etc. I won't ever go back there again.  I suppose if you stayed down by the pier area, that would be safe. From there, you can visit the wax museum and Alcatraz Island (that's fascinating!) and if you have a vehicle, they have a 49 mile "trail" with street signs that will guide you to all the places of interest.   There are some really cool places but if you go, hang on to your purse.  Lombard street is awesome.  It's the crookedest street in the world.  You can't drive down it anymore but it's a neat walk.   I would say it's a lot like Las Vegas. As long as you stay on the well-traveled path, you'd be okay. It makes me sad to see how it has gone so down hill.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 08:12:03 am »
I know...we ended up doing the very thing we had no intentions of doing. It was accidental. We were already warned about being fleeced in Vegas. With this in mind...we still didn't get off to a good start after arriving at the airport. We got ripped off twice in less than an hour. The taxi driver took us to the hotel via the longest route when we had deliberately asked to be taken the quickest route,  The strip is only a 10 minute drive from the Airport.  So we paid $28 for the taxi ride when it $9. No tip as he had already tipped himself, cheeky B!

Then after arriving at the hotel and unpacking we went for a drink along the strip. We ordered drinks from the menu and got overcharged by $6. Not much but when I queried the bill the waitress said she was sorry but they had just increased the prices and hadn't gotten around to updating the menus!  Well here in the UK there are strict laws against that kind of thing. The price you see is the price you pay. It's against the law for vendors to drum up extra charges when they see fit. Never mind, it was too darn hot to argue over $6 but the principal is a lot higher! lol

Pity about SF but it's the same world over. Would love to see Alcatraz and drive along the 49 mile trail. it is something we would consider but can't see it happening next year as first thought.

Theft is a major issue in London and Europe cities such as: Prague, Rome, Barcelona etc. It's big business to rob people and thieves are very adept at pickpocketing. Some even make up the most ludicrous stories to tell tourists in order to rob them somehow. When we go traveling, we take bags that hae long enough straps to be worn sideways over the shoulder and ensure they are always zipped up. Backpacks are open invitations to thieves...would never wear one.

When Chris & I were in Prague a few years ago waiting to board the train a gang of men and girls surrounded Chris and tried to prevent him boarding the train whilst attempting to pickpocket. We shouted at them and there was a bit of a tug of war for a few seconds but they didn't get a darn thing as luckily we  had read an article in a newspaper about this kind of thing going on so were fully prepared.   

Offline Bill

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:31:17 am »
 :praise60: :praise62: :loveit:
Wow these pics sure bring back some good old memories to me, Very nice pics Shez :thanks06:
Hugz Bill

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 09:18:56 am »
I didn't realize that so many people made their living by being thieves!  It takes all the fun out of travel, that's for sure!  We got robbed in Hawaii.  They broke into our hotel room while we were out site seeing and stole our return airline tickets, a package of sweet rolls, and a 6-pack of coke!  When we called the police, they were vary lackadaisical about the whole thing. They barely took a report and said it happens all the time.  They don't even bother looking for them!

You have to be so darn careful about where you go these days.  My daughter and her significant other are planning a trip to Las Vegas this coming April.  I know she's not aware of the resort fee so I'll let her know so she doesn't get stiffed for that extra fee!

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 02:27:54 am »
Thank you Bill. Glad it brought back some memories for you.

How awful MaryLou to get robbed like that. Taking the airline ticket must have caused mayhem. Taking sweets and cans of coke just shows how pathetic these robbers were.

The resort fee is compulsory, and it's very expensive. The charges fluctuate from hotel to hotel but they are all similar. Las Vegas was built using mob money and it seems like the mob is still on the take! lol

In Europe a city tax is imposed called which is a cheaper than the resort fee.  Having to pay any resort or city fees which have been trumped up to fleece tourists is outrageous and is nothing more than daylight robbery! lol  If it weren't for tourists many places would not thrive.

The UK doesn't impose a resort or city tax for tourists nor does it charge for entering museums. Visitors can also get free emergency care, which British Taxpayers pay heavily for, if they happen to have an accident whist visiting. The UK has always been a soft touch when it comes to visitors though.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)