Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Photos of Las Vegas - SherylC  (Read 529 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

Re: Photos of Las Vegas - SherylC
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2017, 06:22:10 AM »
I am not a Royalist by any means but most people I think would agree that the Queen has worked extremely hard over many years, along with Princess Ann and Prince Charles to give them their due. They bring in a lot of Revenue to the UK by way of tourism and bring in a lot of respect from other countries.   Most of Britain has fallen by the way side...given away on a plate to people who want to do us harm. I hate to say it but I am not sure the UK has much to be enviable about these days apart from the Royals, so I say let's keep them, warts and all. 

As I say I am no Royalist but know when we are on to a winner!  :elmo:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »
You can have them then sheryl  all off them  her royal high as a kite-ness and hangers on... Spray a few things gold and i reckon you will  do it ..... Let her mamship wave out of the loft or attic window every so often....

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
LOL....You make me giggle Teejay.   :laugh8:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2017, 04:00:22 PM »
She was raised to be in that position.  The Brits are very "duty" bound and it is her duty to do whatever it is that a Queen does. She is much nicer to look at than Charles, who would be the likely replacement.  But, William and Kate would be even nicer!  I doubt that she would know what to do with herself if she passed the throne to someone else.  That's been her entire life.  I know I would be so lost without my computer as it has been my life since I was in my 20's!  What would I ever do without it?

I am guessing that you're not going to ring up the Queen and get me an invitation to tea!!   :laugh2: :laugh2:  It's funny how childhood impressions can last a lifetime.  If I had my choice to meet any one person in this entire world, first choice would be Queen Elizabeth.  Bill Gates would be second (although I've met him informally before), and third would be Matthew McConaughey!    :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
you weirdo....  :laugh8: :laugh2: :laugh8: :pointy:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »
you weirdo....  :laugh8: :laugh2: :laugh8: :pointy:

I KNOW!!!   It's caused by the company I keep!!!   :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 02:10:59 AM »
 :laugh2: :laugh8: :yes05: :elmo:

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
The Queen always sends a congratulatory birthday cards for any UK citizens reaching their 100th birthday. Some even get invited to tea. You are right MaryLou, Queen E takes her role very very seriously and always has. I admire her for that...can't have been easy especially as a young woman becoming Queen.  Definitely a good role model but there have been occasions when she has taken her role overly-seriously so much so that she has come across as overly stern and uncaring.....the death of Prince Di for example. When the British people accused of her of being cold and uncaring, she contemplated this and made changes, she has definitely become "softer".

My sister-in-law's sister-in-Law worked for the British Red Cross for over 40 years as one of their support volunteers and was lucky enough to be invited to the Queen's Garden Party a few years back...said it was lovely. If I remember correctly she ate Cucumber sandwiches...Mmmm! lol

I was lucky enough to have seen my No. 1 best person on the planet....Nelson Mandela. He was exiting the Park Hotel, Cardiff, after being given freedom of the city. He had not long been released from prison. I saw him purely by accident and was in the right place at the right time which made a change! lol President Mandela gave a chat to a small group of people who were waiting to see him including me. He has a presence that exudes his very being.  I've always been in awe of this incredible, strong yet humble man.

Mahatma Ghandi and Mother Teresa would have been good company too.  Oh yes, Bill Gates would be welcome to tea any time. I think he is an incredibly charitable man.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »
Very interesting, Sheryl!  My fascination with HRH started when I was 14 or 15.  Every little girl wants to become a fairy princes (at least they did back in my day).  I sat for 3 hours in front of a very "snowy" black and white TV and saw a young lady go from being a young girl to becoming a Queen!  That was the most remarkable thing I had ever seen at that age.  I watched in awe.  I remember thinking how beautiful she looked but yet, she had a look of sadness.  I felt sorry for her having to wear that heavy clothing, then have the heavy crown placed on her head.  I still remember it as if it was yesterday.  That made such an impression on my young mind. 

I ran into Bill Gates a few times back when he was just another computer nerd. Being in the computer world back then, we casually met a lot of people who were just nerds at the time and are famous today. Never thought that skinny geeky kid would become the man he is today.   There was a lot of bad press going around about Mr. Gates back in the 80's. He supposedly stole code from IBM and sold it to Microsoft who developed MS-DOS.  It was never proven but once a rumor gets started, well.. they just never seem to die.  Have also met Steve Jobs, and a host of other nerds. I was an exciting time to be working in the Silicon Valley.  These nerds grew up and changed the world. 

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2017, 03:08:14 AM »
Fascinating stuff MaryLou. The Queen is an advocate of doing what is right, no matter what.  The power of becoming Queen was bestowed upon her whilst grieving the loss of her father.  Such strength which has stayed with her throughout.  I guess no matter what we think of the Queen, she is a hard-working remarkable woman. Prince Phillip too has shown great strength when it can't have been easy.

Not sure if you are aware but Prince Phillip has a nickname for his wife, Cabbage! A rather different term of endearment you will agree! lol 

Steve Jobs died quite young, it was very sad. Bill Gates looks very ordinary and usually dresses casually. If you saw him in the street and didn't recognise him he could be a mature student! lol  I like him and even better I like how he spends his fortunate funding charities...always good in my book. I would love to have a chat over a cuppa and press him to make a contribution towards Alzhiemers Disease that robs people of so much, least of all money!. 

Offline Teejay

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2017, 04:37:02 AM »
phileeeeep is a nasty piece of work... My daughter was going out with a soldier  and had dinner with phleeeep and she said he was the worst male she had ever come across ....a  real nasty number ... he thought slapping every girl on the butt ...hard...funny  and other things that i will not repeat because i like my head stuck to my shoulders.
cabbage .... more like baggage ...
she has never worked hard ever... working hard is being in a dead end job and never being able to leave  ... working for a pittance with  no way out
getting up every day and doing the same thing for ever thats working hard ..
she is a self employed  woman with choices all of which are way out there ....most people would love to  work hard in  a career or vocation....

nope ...  it doesnt cut it with me...

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2017, 05:30:57 AM »
Oh my goodness..that's awful. PP has always been a bit of loose canon...a plonker. He has mellowed over the years with age but he has caused a lot of embarrassment to the Queen and the rest of the Royals regarding his thoughtless comments.

I see where you are coming from regarding working hard and that is very true. The Royals will never know or understand, try as they might, what hardship is by any means but richness comes in many forms. Not being able to live your life as you wish is a richness that the majority of us enjoy as a given.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »
nope .... i am trying really hard but nope that dont float it either...

there is no way queenie would swap her life  with or without her freedom for anyone of us peasants ...
she would scream her drawers of at the mere thought of it

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
Well, I think the Royals are like Marmite...either you like them or you don't. I am in-between...some I like, some I don't. 

Scream her drawers off....oh dear. I am picturing it!  :elmo:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
Love this conversation!!  Cabbage?  Never heard that used as a term of endearment but I rather like it!  It's special and I love cabbage!

I love all the traditions of the monarchy. We don't have things like that here.  I suspect it's the same all over the world, you either love or hate your leaders.  Here, poor Mr. Trump gets constant bashing from the liberals.  I've stopped watching any kind of sitcom, late night, or reality show because they've all turned into Trump bashing shows.  I want to be entertained, not indoctrinated. 

I would NOT trade places with HRH - to me, she is in a prison. She cannot go anywhere alone although I suspect she may have privacy in the bathroom.  She HAS to attend various functions, like it or not and from the crowds we see lining the streets and such when she does go out, a whole lot of people love her.  I like almost all of the Royals but have no respect for Diana.   They are constantly shoving shows about her down our throats, especially around the time she died but I don't watch any of them.  They try to make her out to be Mother Teresa and we all know she was not.

Anyway... I still like you, Teejay, even if you don't like the Queen!!  We can't all like the same things!! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)