Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Terror in Las Vegas - SherylC  (Read 168 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

Terror in Las Vegas - SherylC
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:18:12 am »
Well here we go again...this mornings news, more killings in the Wild West...Las Vegas this time.  A lone shooter has murdered well over 20 people and injured 100 plus at an open air country music concert taking place opposite the Mandalay Bay Resort. The shooter randomly shot into crowds of people, including children, from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Hotel. I know this area as we were in Vegas only 6 weeks ago.   We almost stayed at the Manadalay Bay but decided that it would be too busy there and stayed elsewhere.

My heart goes out to all the people who have died, who have lost loved ones and those who will suffer repercussions from the after-effects of what they saw!

America is such a beautiful country but the extent of gun-crime does make you think twice about visiting.....you don't know if you will get out alive!

Such hatred! Ban Guns!

Online Teejay

Re: Terror in Las Vegas - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 04:24:32 am »
yes i have been over at a neighbors and it was on her tv....the shooter is dead .... but what devastation
what has the world become.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:22:14 am »
 News just stated 50 people have died and 200+ injured. This is the worse mass murder in US history apparently.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 12:12:51 pm »
Latest say 58 death, over 400 injured... And the Rep stills defend the guns laws, doesn't make sence to me

Offline San

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:35:18 pm »
That is shocking news how they can sleep when they defend the gun laws when this happens beats me.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:59:32 pm »
58 people have died and 515 injured at last count and numbers still rising!  Someone needs to bang the heads of Congress together...it's ridiculous. Not only that the perp walked into the Mandalay hotel an Thursday with an arsenal of 10 guns!.  No checking, no nothing!   Some would say well, he may have been mentally ill and it wasn't the guns fault. Unfortunately many of us are and the last thing that should be ready and waiting to trigger is a killing machine! 

Nevada has the most lax gun rules in America. Easy to buy, easy to shoot and easy to kill!  With Mr Trump at the helm, who offends just about everyone on the plant, more recently Black protestors by calling them Sons of Bitches, and his pledge not to change gun laws as its a given right for all Americans to carry one, it's not looking hopeful!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:15 pm »
I didn't hear about this until I turned on the news this morning. What a tragedy!  My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Now, on the topic of guns.  If the government should try to ban guns, the good people would turn theirs in but the criminals and those with criminal tendencies would not.  We, without guns, would have no way of protecting ourselves.  When the criminals have all the guns, then what?  What's to stop them from taking over a state or a country?

It's not the gun that kills, it's the person behind the gun.  Should we ban cars because people are killed by them every single day.  But, it's not the car that kills, it's the driver of the car. 

I am not for the "open carry" gun laws though. It is the right of every law abiding American to own a gun and I believe in that right but I think to carry it openly in public is an invitation for a fight.

If a person is bent on reeking havoc on a group of people, they don't need a gun.  Just drive your vehicle into the crowd or toss a bomb.   Don't blame the gun, blame the person who is holding the gun.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 07:21:29 am »
It's a can of worms no doubt MaryLou but there have been more people killed in America by gunshot than those killed by acts of terrorism.  That's mind boggling. I still think prevention is better than cure. Sounds like this perp had mental health issues along with remaining 1/3 of the population. Mental Health issues and guns don't mix.

How this perp was allowed to get into a hotel with 30 or so guns & tripods, explosives and other kinds of killing machinery, is staggeringly unbelievable.

Mr Trump co-ordinates the NRA apparently.   

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 03:12:28 pm »
It's really not the guns.  For example, in the Oklahoma City massacre, 168 people were killed and hundreds more wounded when the guy ran a truck bomb into a federal building.  No guns involved.  Same way in Boston - it was bombs.

LOL... no, Mr. Trump does not coordinate the NRA.  Even though they endorsed him and supported his campaign, Mr. Trump does not give them favors.  :floozie1:

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 07:54:19 am »
I know MaryLou but I think guns are so quick, readily available. Why makes things so easy? There's no need for all these mass killings by guns...hundreds of people can be affected. There's always gong to be violence but even American leaders are now admitting they have a serious gun issue in USA. Pity it took them so long so recognise this. You have fathers teaching their kids how to shoot guns and that message is so wrong for that child, to think guns hold the answer. It's obscene!

Regarding the perp in Law Vegas, a good man with a gun could not have done anything to prevent things...the guy was firing from top floor of the hotel room into thousands of people!. He got into the hotel with all those weapons, tripods, bombs and so on. Pretty pretty clear what his intentions were. Why and how was this devil allowed into the hotel in the first place is beyond imagination.

Well, according to news here Mr Trump coordinates the NRA and is a very strong ally. The NRA endorsed Mr Trump's election campaign, ironic then that Mr Trump was all for banning guns back in the early 2000s. It would be wiser to have no affiliation with the NRA given he is now in the political arena...and the hot potato that the gun issue is.

Ah well.. nice to have a say about these things. lol

Offline MaryT

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 08:12:00 am »
Very well said ML, those wanting to wreck havoc will find a way. Like you I don't think much of open carry but do
defend the right to own a gun.
Hugz, Mary

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 02:03:15 pm »
Sheryl, he was able to get all those guns into his room because Nevada has "open carry" laws, of which I greatly disapprove.  It's NOT easy to get a gun legally, you have to jump through all kind of hoops in most states.  Some states make you register each time you buy ammunition for the gun.

If they weren't so expensive, I'd have one for sure.  I was raised with guns and learned to respect them.  I had my own  pocket pistol until I moved to California and was not afraid to use it if necessary.

What if someone broke into my home with bad intentions?  How could I protect myself?  With my emphysema, I couldn't run, I couldn't even fight.  We have no police department in my area, we have to depend on highway patrol and they always take at least 20 minutes to arrive.  Once someone gets inside, I am pretty much at their mercy.   Many females are in this same position. 

It's not the good people with guns, it's those who smuggle them in from other countries and buy them illegally.  In some states, you are not only required to have a license for the gun, you are required to take a 6-week training course in the use and handling and how to fire properly.   

The guns this man had were not all legal, especially the machine gun.  Who knows where he got them.  He could have gotten them regardless of bans on guns and other such laws.   If we ban guns because they kill people, then we need to ban vehicles because of drunk drivers.  Last year,  there was an average of 28 people per day killed throughout the states by a vehicle driven by an impaired driver.  That is over 10,000 deaths caused by a vehicle!

When guns are banned, only the criminals will have them and the rest of the country will be at their mercy.  That will never happen here.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 11:45:49 am »
I think California has some tougher gun laws but we're talking about mass killings, children in schools etc. Not low numbers,  one man against another. There will always be those, we have them here, though not very often, thankfully. 

I've taken this excerpt from Gun violence in USA, key questions and answers.  Semi Auto guns are used in 75% of mass shootings and were obtained legally in 79% of cases. That is a staggeringly high percentage. It's an interesting read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/02/gun-violence-in-america-the-13-key-questions-with-13-concise-answers/272727/#massshootings

How do mass shootings differ from other types of gun violence?
The FBI defines a "mass murder" as four or more murders during the same incident. This is an arbitrary number, but a dividing line is useful when asking whether there are differences between mass shootings and other kinds of gun violence. The most comprehensive public list of U.S. mass shootings is the spreadsheet of 62 incidents from 1982-2012, compiled by Mother Jones. Their list shows:
Mass shootings happen all over the country.
Killers used a semi-automatic handgun in 75% of incidents, which is about the same percentage as the 72% in overall gun violence.
Killers used an assault weapon in 40% of incidents. This is much higher than overall assault weapon use in crimes, estimated at less than 2%.
The guns were obtained legally in 79% of mass shootings.
Many of the shooters showed signs of mental illness, but in only two cases was there a prior diagnosis.
There were no cases where an armed civilian fired back.
2012 was the worst year in American history, in terms of total victims. A graph of yearly victims shows a slight upward trend. But the pattern is a lot less clear without the 2012 peak, and because yearly numbers vary so widely, it's likely that there will be many fewer victims next year.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)