Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Brexit and Co - SherylC  (Read 174 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

Brexit and Co - SherylC
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:52:33 am »
Brexit, Exit, Flex it, Text it.....fed up with hearing about all the "its" on the news every single day. It's driving me crazy. Enough is enough, let's get on with getting out and move forward! lol

Offline Grethe

Re: Brexit and Co - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:10:11 pm »
Not sure you will get out, Shez. I've no opinion about it....Norway is not part of EU, Denmark is and I see benefits of both.  :floozie1:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:44:16 pm »
Haven't heard anything on that topic over here in quite a while so have sort of lost track as to what it's all about.  However, I do hear the clucks that want to pull California out of the United States.   That will not happen.  The people in Southern California depend on other states for their water and we have more people on welfare than any other state and could not afford to care for them without federal funding.   They've been trying to get an initiative on the ballot for years.  So far, no luck.

The other California issue is, they want to break California down into 3 separate states.  I would NEVER vote for that but I would vote on another proposal and that is to make a North California and a South California.  The reason being, the needs of those south of San Francisco have very different needs than those of us in the north.   This makes it difficult to pass any kind of legislation because the people in the northern part of the state don't want to pay for thinngs like water to be channeled into the southern part and such.  The state is too big for one liberal mayor.  It's always a fight and I do get tired of hearing about it. 

Now, there's a bill on the governor's desk to make California a sanctuary city.  I'm sure he will sign it because he is very liberal.  I  will be ashamed to tell anyone that I live in a state where people can break the law and are sheltered for doing so.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:06:55 am »
I don't like the thought of countries disbanding as I believe united and standing together is the best policy. Many Scots would love independance but I do think that the United Kingdom should stay united.

However, the difference with Brexit it the UK breaking ties with Europe, so very different ball game.  OK Geographically we may be associated with Europe but Britain is an Island and completely separate to our neighbours across the channel. I am all for coming out as I don't think we should bear the rules imposed upon us by Belgium. I believe, as in independent country, Britain is very capable of continuing to stand tall and firm and make it's own rules and regulations just as it always has.  It costs the British taxpayer Millions every year just to be part of the EE when there was even a referendum. It was bestowed upon the Brits whether they wanted it or not. Whilst I am in favour of aiding  poorer countries (and boy are we generous)  not sure we should be giving so much financial aid at the detriment of our own.  There are kids here who have never had the chance to work, orown their own home and so on. The UK is already tax ridden without having to give more hard earned taxpayers money to Europe.  I love Europe...I visit there two possibly 3 times a year but a line has to be drawn. Let's continue to be good neighbours and do what we feel is right for our own country and it's people.

Grethe...Norway is doing very well without Europe just as Britain did....and will.

MaryLou...I guess Carolina is like that right, South and North. It's a concern when states start breaking up.  Hope you get to keep California whole!.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:13 am »
Shez, I'm not good enough in English to discuss the serious item of EU. Yes, Norway is doing well, mostly thanks to oil and also the fish industri. And right now beeing outside is a benefit...i.e. the poor eastern countries and also the migration problems. Denmark is facing some problems with the migrants, but have, so to say closed, the boards now. Denmark will, however, as far as I understand, have to pay the EU parts of the bills to the eastern countries and the migant problem. But these things are not ever lasting problems. You on your island with several regions (Wales, Scotland, Ulster, England, Cornwall) have other problems than rest of Europe, so I might understand you will  out. We will see where the roads end.

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 08:00:59 am »
Out i say outtttttttttttttttttttūtt
life MUST go on; I forget JUST why.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:42:09 am »
I agree Grethe. Norway is often discussed here on how a country can work outside of the EU. I think that's great and hope that the UK will follow and go back to making it's own rules and regs.  The older generation want out of EU and the younger generation want to stay in. It's the older generation that have experienced the difference. 
Yes the UK is made up of Wales, Scotland, England (Cornwall is in England) and N.Ireland.

Joy...absolutely! lol

Online Teejay

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 12:38:17 pm »
me too i want out.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 03:31:16 pm »
I just want to live peacefully regardless of where it is.   The problem is, those who rule let their position go to their heads and they want to tell the rest of us what to do.  It's been that way forever and I don't see it changing in the future.

We have a North and South Carolina and Dakota, and a Virginia and West Virginia.  Those splits happened way back when America was being formed and I don't remember the history of why they split.  I honestly don't think there will ever be enough votes to split California, but I'd vote for a 2-state split.  Won't happen in my lifetime.  :bouncy:

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 07:46:02 am »
Well, it's going to take around 2 years before the Brexit really gets going. The prime Minister is trying hard to get some good deals for the UK.

Actually I felt for the PM today during her speech...Theresa May was given a P45 (end of employment document) by a comedian who happened to get into the hall, and then she developed a terrible cough and could barely talk....some would say she went to pieces after that.  Woman to Woman my heart went out to her. No matter what your politics are, or how you feel about the PM, she is an elegant, calm, determined woman.  I don't care for much of her politics (even less for Jeremy Corbyn and the rest of the lack-lustre mediocre bunch.....yawn yawn) but I admire  her strength and dignity.

Problem is votes will go on and on and on until it goes their way in the end. Like Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish PM (barking dog) going on and on and on about holding another referendum for Scotland to leave the UK. The Scottish people have already had their vote and they voted to remain. Anyway I think NS can move over soon as Ruth Jones almost has her foot into Holyrood!

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)