Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Crop tool  (Read 103 times)

Offline NickyTopic starter

Crop tool
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:43:51 am »
I created an item. I then used the crop tool to shorten it so it fit within a the rectangle.
Looked OK but when I exported  it as a png  the image was wider because the cropped section got incorporated within the selection.

How do I save it as a 400x600 image when the item cropped extended by 50 pix on the right side.
The image is 400x600 but the boundaries  make it 400x650  and would create a problem if I wanted to use in a page plus page for example.

Online Teejay

Re: Crop tool
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:44:39 am »
mmmmmmmmm i dont use the crop  because it doesnt work the way i think it should.

how i would do this is with the rectangle shape.

i would make a rectangle the size of the image i want and place this over the picture.
i would then null out the fill and stroke of the rectangle  so it is invisible.
in the layers pallet i would grab the picture and nest/clip it inside the rectangle layer

if all has gone right you should have the image 'cropped'

if you need to tweak the image a few pixels this way or that...
you can select the picture layer in the layer panel...then move it about.

hope this helps nicky    i dont like that manky crop its cr.a.p    ...  :hal11:

Offline NickyTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:03:24 am »
 :thanks06: :thanks06: Remembered doing this your explanation when we did the palette and brushes. It did not work because I had forgotten that an other part was also cropped. Anyway it worked once I applied it to the other part as well and that is the important part. A big learning curve.  I will post the project in Show and Tell.

Online Teejay

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:45 am »
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :elmo:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:18:39 pm »
I have gotten used to the crop tool and it works just fine for me... that is, as long as I remember to go up and click the Move tool to complete the crop.  Maybe that's the part you were skipping, Nicky?

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)