Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Bad Words!  (Read 67 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Bad Words!
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »
I just learned today that some words we Americans use are offensive to those who live in Great Britain!  Wow, I wonder how many times I've offended someone without knowing it?  Actually, I did know one common word was offensive and was shocked to learn about it because I used it all the time!  Are you curious yet?  Well, I'm going to list them so if you're British, you may want to skip this post.   :laugh2:   I will use them in a sentence that I might normally say.

I like thick cut bacon.

She's sure a spunky little one!

I best get off my f a n n y and get some work done!

Ah!  My Ace will trump your king!

I changed the knob on my dresser drawer to match the nightstand.

Had to put spaces in the third one because our "bad word" checker replaces it with another word.

So, did I miss any?    I'm not going to give the English definitions but if you really want to know, you can look them up.  :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

Looks like I"m going to have to clean up my vocabulary!! :lol02:

Offline Teejay

Re: Bad Words!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:22:50 AM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......   ....... :laugh8: :laugh2: :lol02: :laugh8:

all those are very gentle naughty words that children would use instead of hard core bad words ....i never use the bad ones ...much..  :hal00:

it is how  you use them.. they are all descriptive my fave is  nob .. (spelled wrong )
this has made my day i am still sniggering...  thick isnt bad though  thick as a brick ...(stupid) thick as two short planks (stooooooopid)
Trump   as in Mr Trump ...or   Presidant Farty pants ....  all the kids love a trumper....  :laugh2: sooo funny

there are many more ...but i get such a laugh when i see them that....my lips are sealed.

Offline SherylC

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »
 :laugh8: Fag is often used here referring to a cigarette but has very different connotations across the pond MaryLou!  :laugh8:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
as is Pants.... 
 what have you got in your pants..... erm..... well erm...blushh... i mean erm.... :laugh8:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
Youngsters  say Pants when they refer to something that is uncool or not very nice. That's pants...that's yukky.

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Sheryl, the word "fag" used to mean cigarette here too.  When I grew up people would always ask someone if they had a fag.  Somewhere along the line, I don't know when, it changed its meaning and now, it is in reference to a gay, lesbian, or transgender person.   Funny how the meaning of a word can change so quickly!!

Have never heard that pants was not a nice word.  Actually, have never heard it used in any other way  thank something like, "Hey, pull up your pants."

One has to be very careful how they talk in other countries!! :lol02: :lol02: :lol02:

Teejay, I know you would NEVER use any of those words!!   :hal18: :hal18: :hal18:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)