Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Go Fund Me....  (Read 108 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Go Fund Me....
« on: October 08, 2017, 02:14:24 pm »
I was looking at some of the various accounts that people have set up for those injured in the Las Vegas shootings. They are Go Fund Me accounts set up by others  to help people get funds to cover their medical expenses.   Some of them are getting some nice sizeable donations!

Then, I wondered, how much of that money do they actually get?  I was shocked to see how much the Go Fund Me people make!

They charge 5% for use of the platform, 2.9% on the amount (7.5% total), plus .30 cents for ever transaction.  That comes up to a LOT of money!  One person has received $129,196 in donations from 1,471 people.    From that amount, Go Fund Me will get $10,647 give or take a dollar or two.

I think I'm in the wrong business!!!  There are many hundreds of Go Fund Me accounts floating around.  Look at the money that company is making!

I should go set up an account for me so I have lots of money to cover my chocolate addiction!!   :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:  And yes, Teejay, I'll share my chocolate with you.   :laugh2: :laugh2:

Offline San

Re: Go Fund Me....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:55:33 pm »
This is why sometimes I do not donate to some of these places.  One of the places you donated to I cannot remember what there name was now but only 10 cents from every dollar went to the person the rest was admin fees.

So you are in the wrong business these company make a lot of money.

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:45:43 pm »
Yep!!   I will never be wealthy because I give things away when I should sell them.  But.. I grew up poor so I know how happy it can make a person to get something they could not otherwise have.   I do NOT like to give things to places like Good Will because they sell it back to people for a price that is too high.  They are NOT a non-profit company although their name makes you think they are.  I'd much rather help individuals than to oil the pockets of those on the top levels that already make 6-digit figure paychecks.

I did give to the hurricane relief fund but only because Walmart was collecting funds and they pledged to give double what each individual gives.   And, of course, I give to the animal shelter - not in money but this year, I am buying microfiber blankets.   I have already purchased 16 blankets and will pick up a few more next time I'm at the store.   I don't take a tax deduction at tax time because I don't get enough money to pay taxes to start with.  I can't do a lot but at least I can try and make some little doggies happy and warm. :animal05:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:11:41 am »
Disgustingly greedy!. I appreciate that businesses need to make a buck but that is far too greedy especially when it's funding people who have been in the most dire of circumstances through no fault of their own. Far too many of these organisations are popping up as they know they are on to a winner!

I don't donate to anyone calling at my door,  not do I donate to charities on the street anymore.  Anyone can dangle a pot around their next and make up a badge to make themselves look genuine. There are a lot of disingenuous people collecting money on behalf of charities. Many get away with it and those who are caught are not dealt with very strictly. As usual in life, it's the bad people that spoil it for the good people.

Online Teejay

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 03:29:12 am »
i heard that oxfam are robbers....
i do not donate to any..if i can help someone i will but not through an organization... i dont trust them.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 12:33:28 pm »
I've moved some times and always have things to give away and (like the ateist I am  :laugh2: ) Salvation Army is getting my *left-overs*. Never give other ways, too much is being lost to administrations!

Online Teejay

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:02:19 pm »
Yes i ha e given to tbe sally army too.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)