Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Art Boards  (Read 296 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Art Boards
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »
I've been playing around with using an artboard rather than the regular document window.  It is so much nicer!!   If you were a PI user, you'll remember how we could have a bunch of images on the pasteboard at the same time.  You can do the same thing with artboards. 

One huge advantage in using an artboard as opposed to a document is, if you find the board is too small, you can just drag it out to whatever size you need.  If you have a document, you have to go into the document menu just to change the size. 

If you want to have an image right next to something you're working on, just open it using the Picture Import option and it will sit on your pasteboard wherever you want it.  There is so much more flexibility  in using an art board   

I don't know that I'd ever use this feature but you can have a bunch of different images on artboards, then export them as a .pdf and AD will create a new page for each artboard.  That in itself is pretty cool.

So, I would like all of you guys to try using artboards and if you have questions, post them here.  I will be writing all of my future tutorials using an artboard and so will Teejay.   If you think of it as just another workspace, you'll get the hang of it in no time at all.

When you go to File\New, do everything like you usually do but put a checkmark in the box that says to create an artboard.  Once you get used to doing that, you may never go back to using a Document again.  :like: :whoo:

Offline Teejay

Re: Art Boards
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:07:21 am »
i personally prefer artboards they 'fit' me better

it makes creating things easier.

hope you all try them out because they are almost as neat as clipping/nesting

and you know how awesome that is  :yes03:

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:14:48 am »
Thanks for the info MaryLou. I've never used Art Boards but think I'll give them a try. 

Offline Lynn

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:40:12 am »
We had a workshop project on artboards. I tried them. I don't like them. I won't be using them.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:14 am »
Can't remember we had it before. Therefor it is good we are doing things over again!  :jumper:

I looked briefly into it............ :dunno2: :whistle:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:53:13 am »
It's good to know that we have that option but I tried using  an art board set up and didn't like it at all.  I'm sure it may work well for some....and that's perfectly fine.....but I do not like it when I am working in AD.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline Lin

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 07:02:05 am »
I'm with Lynn and Linda, don't like them either

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 07:47:11 am »
I am swaying no one here
I don't mind what you use ....

but  CLIPPING.... comes to mind ..... CLIPPING....   you know ...i don't wanna i wont use that MANKY clipping...

ARTBOARDS  they stink i don't wanna  they make me mental ARTBOARDS are the devil    :jumper: :yes03:

i really really rate them
i wish psp had had them .

Offline Linda2

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:13 am »
but....but...but....unless you plan to use them as ML said and create a .pdf file and have them do their magic....or have multiple items opened before you (as I sometimes do but in a different way)....what is the difference in what we use to create?  That said...I will give it a try once more just to satisfy myself that it is a useful tool for some and try and keep an open mind about it.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 08:35:39 am »
artboards were made just with you in mind

when I make something like the bike with extras (latest workshop)
I would make the bike drag it off to the side so I can make the fence drag it of to the side  copy and paste the letterbox in there somewhere ....
and try and bring it all together
at this point my layers would be cram full and if I hadn't been watching in a bit of a mess

I didn't do that I made the bike on an artboard ...
then dragged out another board made the fence dragged out another board  copied and pasted the postbox into itinto   ..my layers are totally in order this is what I get .
each neat layer you see is an artboard BUT
I can drag anything from one artboard to another ..it is so easy..

if you were to make a character but wanted a a dozen different hoods boots hairdo's eyes glasses ..
THIS is the way to do it.
it is more complicated to explain than do...
awwwwwwwwww why cant I explain..its SO important.

Offline Lynn

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:35 am »
I have no problem with having multiple images open. I do have the scratchboard set to show them. I have no interest or need to make PDFs for what I am doing. If I want to make multiple objects, I just make the first one, group everything and drag it off onto the scratchboard. Then I make my second object on the drawing. Again, I can put it off to the side and work on another.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:37 pm »
I am with you guys.  The project we did with artboards here really put me off.  I decided I did not like them - it was too confusing.  However, I keep seeing so many people using them on other platforms that I thought I might be missing something.  So, I went back for another look.   After playing around and seeing what it was all about, I had a change of heart.  I usually only open one at a time so don't even realize I'm using an artboard.

Let me give you just one example. 

New Document
I open a new document, 800x800px.  I start working on my image and I realize that the document size is way more than I really need.  I can, of course, go back to the Document Setup and change the document size. OOps, now it's too small.  So, back to the Document size to change it again.

New Artboard
I open a new Artboard, 800x800px.  I start working on my image and again, the artboard is way too large. All I need to do is use the Move tool to drag the artboard down to a size I'm happy with.  If it needs to be larger later on, just drag it out a bit more.

Just that feature alone was enough to convince me.  Everything else works just the same as if you were using a document.  The Layers are exactly the same, so is saving your images.  You can export the selected images or the entire artboard, just as you would a document.

I'm not saying you have to use artboards.  What I am saying is, it's so much easier to do your work because you have far more flexibility.  As I said, I will be doing all of my tutorials from now on using an artboard rather than a document. 

Before you say you don't like them based on the past tutorial,  try what I posted above with the two types.  You just might change your mind.  :yes03: :jumper:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 02:43:04 pm »
Ok, I am terrible at trying to explain anything  but here goes:
I opened an art board sized at 800x800 and started fooling around with this notepad I was drawing today.  Messed around....messed around...finally got to a stopping point and resized it to 600x600.  Ok so far.  I then exported it as a .png......took it into another program and holy smokes.....look at all the dead space around it.  Yes, my "document" was set at 600x600 but my image was not what I wanted or expected.  I trimmed away all the surplus and it was then 441x325.....a much more manageable image for me.  Now I know it can probably be solved but honestly I am happy doing my creating the way I have been....sans art boards.  Maybe professional folks who do much designing and such use it and it works great for them, but for me....honestly, at the present I am very happy to do without it.  But, I did give it a try as I said and I am open for suggestions as to how I could improve on my usage.....but for now......well.......

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »
Linda, if you don't  want the background around your image, you do the same as you would when saving a document.  Drag a box around what you want to export, then select Export Selection without background when saving.   I would guess that you saved the entire artboard rather than the selection.

One advantage of using an artboard vs a document is, the artboard can be moved around the pasteboard to wherever you want it. The document is static and cannot be moved.

I think I messed up the first time I saved my artboard but then when I saw all the white, I knew that I used the wrong save option.

Try this, start with an artboard, then forget that it's an artboard. Treat it like you would a document.  But remember, you cannot move the document around and out of the way but you can move the artboard.  That's the only difference you will see.

I have to agree with Teejay - at first we all hated that clipping stuff!  But, after a few tries, and once we understood it, now we don't know how we lived without it.   This is just part of the learning experience and getting to really know the program.

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 03:20:20 am »
Think I will use Artboards instead of documents for a week or so and see how I get along with them. They sound much more flexible than a document for resizing and I like that idea in itself. If I don't get along with them no I shall go back to using documents......yes, I think that's what I will do.

Thank you all for the information as without this we would not learn about the options at our fingertips. 

You may or may not be aware but you can move documents around the screen by pressing down on the Spacebar and Mouse Key at the same time. 

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)