Affinity Forums ::: PIRC Facebook Affinity ::: PIRC Webpage
PIRC YouTube Channel ::: Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Opening a Photo ~ Lynn  (Read 761 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Opening a Photo ~ Lynn
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
I wish you started out in AP like you do in AD. Since you don't, I need to learn the right way to proceed in AP.

Sheryl, you have said "It is recommended to always take a copy of your image and work on the duplicate." I interpreted that as when I opened a photo in AP, I should make a duplicate to be the copy I work with. I opened the photo I wanted to use for the Watermark project and then made a duplicate. As you can see in my capture below, AP automatically locked the original photo layer. This ensures that my original photo is protected from any changes, right?

Offline Sheryl

Re: Opening a Photo ~ Lynn
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
Lynn, yes if the background is locked it means that the background won't move should you wish to move objects on top of it and will remain untouched. It doesn't protect your image being saved over though should you export to Jpg or png for example.   

What I mean is to duplicate the image then close the original. That way nothing sinister happens to your original image.

You can duplicate an image by clicking on Layer from the Menu and scrolling down to Duplicate.
Tomorrow is another 'stay at home' day. Enjoy the peace and tranquillity whilst we have it.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
I'm still not sure just what I am supposed to be doing. Are you saying that after I duplicate my original photo, I should delete the original that is in the background layer? I assume that I should then lock my duplicate (which will be all that is shown in the Layers) and proceed to "Save as"?

Uhmm. I just re-read your response. You say to close the original. To me that would send me to File-Close, and wouldn't that close everything? I hate to be so obtuse, but I really don't understand what Serif intended when they made AP.

Offline Sheryl

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »
When you first open your image into the Workspace it is recommended, no matter what programme you use, to duplicate it (Menu, Layer, Duplicate) then close your original image to protect it from being saved with any changes which can't be removed...jpg for example. Then work on the duplicate, apply any changes you wish to do and save changing the filename slightly so that it doesn't write over your original image.

Copying your image in the Layer palette is a different issue. Locking a Layer will prevent the image, object whatever it happens to be, from being accidentally moved when you apply objects on top of the image. Effects can still be applied in the usual way.

Any duplicates made in the Layer palette will close down in the usual way unless saved. To keep the layers in tact they would need to be saved in a .afphoto file format.
Tomorrow is another 'stay at home' day. Enjoy the peace and tranquillity whilst we have it.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
I made a copy of my photo and then used File-Paste from Clipboard to put it in AP. Then I used "Save as" to save it in afphoto format. This kept my original photo completely out of the loop!

Online Teejay

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
that is the way i do it...i copy ..paste from clipboard.
close  the original and when i save the clipboard copy i give it an original name..

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
The funny thing is I think I had used this method for the earlier AP workshop projects I did, but when I had my trigger thumb problems I got really, really far behind and it didn't pop right into my mind now. I save the copy with a unique name and put it in my Affinity Photo Resource Photos folder.

Online Teejay

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
 :praise52:

Offline Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
That's a good method to use Lynn. I usually open my image and duplicate but it's only preference.

I commented in another post that I thought you were new to AP but ignore that because your comments below say you've did the past projects prior to your thumb problem. How is the situation with your thumb now?

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »
My thumb is much improved, although it will never have its previous range of motion. I am still doing the hand exercises prescribed to me by the Hand Therapy Institute, but I'm down from 5 times a day to 2. Don't know if I will ever be able to quit or not.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)