Affinity Forums ::: PIRC Facebook Affinity ::: PIRC Webpage
PIRC YouTube Channel ::: Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: AMAZING - Live filters as assets in Designer!  (Read 550 times)

Offline OrjanTopic starter

AMAZING - Live filters as assets in Designer!
« on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:40 PM »
Just by chance, I got the idea to see if it would be possible to "import" live filters from Affinity Photo into Affinity Designer, and it worked perfectly! This is how I did it:

In Affinity Photo I created a shape and gave it a colour.
Then i applied one of the live filters, e.g. Depth of field.
Then I made this shape with the filter applied to it a group (although this is not necessary).
Then I copied this group and pasted it in an empty document in Affinity Designer.
It is now easy to manipulate this filter in Designer, by dubble klicking on the filter symbol in the layer view, just as in AP.
Lastly I selected the group in Designer and made it an asset, in the new asset category, Filters, that I created.

By repeating this procedure with other filters, you can get those live filters that you think might be useful, as a list of assets in Affinity Designer!
Of course if you have Affinity Publisher also, you can achieve this, and much more, in a more elegant way. I haven't checked whether you can import these assets into Designer without also owning Affinity Photo, but I guess it would be possible. If so, it would be a way of expanding the functionality of Affinity Designer as such!

Offline Teejay

Re: AMAZING - Live filters as assets in Designer!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 03:27:55 AM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i think i understaand
and am going to follow your instructions to see what its about
i can tell you are exited about it
and now i am catching that exitment
i will let you know if i get into trouble  :yehaw:

Offline Teejay

Re: AMAZING - Live filters as assets in Designer!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 03:59:15 AM »
ok i have seen what this does and it is an awesome find
but  with having the ability to edit between photo and publisher....what do i gain
i can see for a quick lighting effect or a certain blur etc but i could do that by the 'edit in... '

or am i missing something ..

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)