Affinity Forums ::: PIRC Facebook Affinity ::: PIRC Webpage
PIRC YouTube Channel ::: Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Affinity Designer SVG won't seem to scale correctly for cutting software  (Read 566 times)

Offline tedologyTopic starter

Hello all and happy Thursday! :)

I'm so glad to have found this forum.

I'm hoping somebody can help with the following problem:

1. I create a rectangle (ex. 3" x 4").
2. I export it as an SVG.

When I go to import it into my Brother Scan N Cut software, the image is EXTREMELY small. It is often less than 1" x 1".

I'm including some screenshots to help explain.

Is there something else I can be doing to help solve this problem?

Thanks so much!
Ted

Offline Teejay

Re: Affinity Designer SVG won't seem to scale correctly for cutting software
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 11:02:11 AM »
Hi Tedology and a warm welcome

does this happen ONLY with your Brother scan software 
what i mean is have you tried exporting your svg into another program other than affinity or your Brother thingy

if it exports correctly to another program its likely your brother scan ... if it imports teeny tiny then its affinity

i will give this a go and let you know what happens   but i haven't a cutting program like you have.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 11:20:29 AM »
i did a quick test and if i export the selected area only  i get a smaller sized item
if i export the whole document it is larger ..
have you tried saving the whole document
i would suggest starting with the same size document in affinity designer  as you will use in your cutting program
then export  as the whole document

its worth a try  good luck

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »
Hi Ted, welcome to  PIRC!

I have that same problem with the .svg format.   I just now created a 3x4 box, saved as .svg selected image only.  I made a second one (different color) and saved the whole document.

Then, I opened my Cricut software and uploaded both images to the database.  Then opened each one in my design space. They both came out as very tiny images. If I change the size of just one of the sides, it will go back to the original size. 

So, I created another 3x4 box and saved it as a .png (current selection only).  Uploaded that to my Cricut software design space  and to my surprise, it came in at 6x8.  It was 3x4 inches when I saved it.

This really makes it difficult to design anything because you never know what you're going to get.  It has to be a bug but not sure where to point the finget.
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 01:26:35 PM »
Hello Teejay and MaryLou and thanks SO much for attempting to help. :)

Yes, it's very frustrating. Also, when I try to create an SVG with a horizontal oval, the Brother software sees it as standing on its end!

As Teejay mentioned, it might be my Brother software but it seems MaryLou's cricut software also shares the woes.

I'm now playing with Inkscape and it seems it has a better SVG option that doesn't give me these problems.

I truly appreciate both of you chiming in! :) Thank you!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 06:31:05 PM »
just out of interest  does inkscape have the same problem with your affinity designer svg file..(just being nosy)

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 06:33:36 PM »
just out of interest  does inkscape have the same problem with your affinity designer svg file..(just being nosy)

Oh, you're hardly being nosey! :)

Interestingly, Inkscape has a more robust "Optimized SVG" saving that allows me to export with no issues.

What Inkscape DOES NOT have (and AD has spoiled me) are shapes like hearts, cogs, pies, etc.  :)

It's just crazy to me that ANY NON-OVAL shape is fine with my Brother software. Heck, even VERTICAL OVALS are fine. It's HORIZONTAL OVALS that cause me grief.

The joys of technology!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 01:25:05 AM »
I think I have Inkscape somewhere on my computer.  Tomorrow, I think I'll to some testing by creating something in IS then open in my Cricut to see if I have the same problem.  If not, that sort of tells me that AD might be the problem.  Will let ya'all know what I find out. :flowersmile:

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
I think I have Inkscape somewhere on my computer.  Tomorrow, I think I'll to some testing by creating something in IS then open in my Cricut to see if I have the same problem.  If not, that sort of tells me that AD might be the problem.  Will let ya'all know what I find out. :flowersmile:

Thanks, MaryLou! :)

When I created something in Inkscape and tried it in my Brother Canvas, I had the same problem, although Inkscape DOES have optimized SVG options which make it MUCH easier.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 03:49:25 PM »
Okay, here's what I did;  First, I created a 4" circle in Affinity Designer and exported it as an .svg  (that was really hard!  :laugh1: }

Then  I opened InkScape and made another 4" circle and exported as .svg.

Opened my Cricut Design Space and opened up both files.   The one created in Inkscape  was 4" high and 4" wide.
The circle I made in Affinity Designer, when opened in the Cricut design space is now is 1.39 x 1.39.

This tells me there is a major problem in Designer!   All this time, I didn't think much about it because I thought that's nowCricut worked but that's not the case.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
Okay, here's what I did;  First, I created a 4" circle in Affinity Designer and exported it as an .svg  (that was really hard!  :laugh1: }

Then  I opened InkScape and made another 4" circle and exported as .svg.

Opened my Cricut Design Space and opened up both files.   The one created in Inkscape  was 4" high and 4" wide.
The circle I made in Affinity Designer, when opened in the Cricut design space is now is 1.39 x 1.39.

This tells me there is a major problem in Designer!   All this time, I didn't think much about it because I thought that's nowCricut worked but that's not the case.

Thank you for checking!

Also, when I create a HORIZONTAL oval in AD it ends up VERTICAL in my Brother Canvas. Not sure about Cricut.
But if I create ANY OTHER shape (including a VERTICAL OVAL), it's fine.

Just so crazy. :)

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »
I will see what kind of results I get by doing the same thing.  Be back with my findings. :yes01:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 03:44:54 PM »
Okay, I made a 4" square in Designer.  I exported the .svg file with each of the options available in DS. 

I then imported each one into my Cricut program and I got the same results for each method. They were a tiny little square just over an inch big.  I am thinking DS has a problem. 

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 03:50:28 PM »
 :thanks02: for investigating, MaryLou! :)

I believe YouTube has a video on handling that issue with DS.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)