Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: AFdesign...Grethe  (Read 1063 times)

Offline GretheTopic starter

AFdesign...Grethe
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:01:02 am »
Will it be possible to upload .afdesign to share? Or perhaps ask for help?
I remember we shared .ufo (PI working file)....I think???

Offline Teejay

Re: AFdesign...Grethe
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:17:41 am »
you can always zip a file and upload it here
it would be awesome to share that way
af files seem to be very large in file size thoough but a great question for the boss lady.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:23:25 am »
I've my website I can link to, but I don't think many have these days.
But let's see what Big Boss Lady says.  :thumbs2:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 05:29:32 am »
That's how I shared my burlap bow pattern.  Small as it was though, when zipped it still came in at 1.67MB.  I find the files are generally quite large.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 05:44:45 am »
Oh yes, the files are large! My PC can handle them just fine.
I've tried on my old laptop, but crash when files are too large. That is my *travel-engine*  :lol04:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:19:39 pm »
Grethe, while I"m all for sharing, I don't think we can do that.  We would soon run out of space on the board server because those files really are huge.  I'm also not sure how much benefit others would get from it.  For example, if you used a bitmap and the other person doesn't have the same one, that could be a problem. Same with a brush or a font.   If we did that, it would have to be a link to your server.
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »
I understand all that, ML. I'm more thinking of *things* combined in different grey shape everyone can fill with whatever they want. I didn't use that much in PI, but....

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 01:28:01 pm »
Grethe,  I had a bunch of those that I did in PI - just made the shapes and all they had to do was fill them in with whatever colors they wanted.  They were not very popular.  I found people would rather make their own stuff since that's the purpose in learning to use a graphic program.   You might even remember one of mine - it was used in the workshbops.. the cookie jar.   I have a whole bunch of bows that are in grays...  had them available for downloading but very few took them.   

However, that doesn't mean we can't try it.  Maybe a Template section where you can post adesign files that are 100% gray scale with no shading, etc.. just the outlines in shades of gray.  That would probably cut the file size down as there would be no "features" used, just the raw vector object.  One would have to make a sample. jpg in color to post and also include in the  file.   There would have to be some standards such as all layers have to be named.  Let me think on that one a bit.   I won't have time to work it out until after the new year but perhaps just the raw vector template might work out.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:42:34 pm »
and while i think on it they can be small in pixel size because we can enlarge them to whatever size we want without loss. that should reduce the file size too.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »
I've been experimenting with two files that are the vectors only and the file size is very small so, if people followed the rules, it would be "do-able".  However, this would also call for a moderator.  Those of us who are currently handling a forum can't take on any more.

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »
i have and still learning from templates

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 02:34:27 am »
...and I also think we need to learn the program a little more. And we have plenty of time! Take it easy, ML, it was just an idea!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »
Actually, Grethe, it's a pretty good idea with some modification.  I'm thinking now we could have a Shape Library.  That could include just a collection of various shapes - like those from PI which can be exported as .svg, then processed in AD.  There are so many good shapes we could get from that source.  It could include completed images (grayscale) as well. 

I am looking at ways to present it.  Teejay suggested we should add a blurb about the forum and of course, copyright info would have to be included if you're going to share them and a link to the forum.  We have no way of knowing where they might go in the future.

As I said, it would require a moderator to check each file to make sure it met the standards we set up.  It would not be used for projects and such - just a nice library of shapes.    I think it could be a good thing!! :praise53:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)