Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Using Transparency on Photos  (Read 653 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Using Transparency on Photos
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:33:06 pm »
I just learned something very interesting at the Affinity Forum. Forum Moderator MEB stated that if you use File - Open your photo will open as a Pixel Layer and you cannot use the Transparency Tool on it. However, if you use Place Image your photo will open as an Image Layer and you can use the Transparency Tool on it. I tried this, and it's indeed true.

Offline Teejay

Re: Using Transparency on Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »
Ohhhhhhh that one is priceless... wow it works really well too yeeeee haw.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:45:11 pm »
That reminds me of something similar with .svg files.  If you go to File\Open and select an .svg file, all of the nodes are intact and you can edit it all you want.

However, if you Place the image, it becomes a raster image and the nodes are gone.

With a photo, if you open it, it becomes the background layer so it makes sense that you can't edit it.   We have soooo much to learn!!!

Thanks for this info, Lynn, it will explain a lot when someone tries to use a transparency on an image!  Good thing we have  AP!!
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 04:54:09 pm »
What is a  .svg file??
Hugz Bill

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:37:47 pm »
Bill, it is a scalable vector graphic program.   With this format, we can export things that are vectors (such as the shapes in  PI)  in .svg format, then import them into other programs that support that format, such as Affinity Designer.  The file is imported with all of the nodes intact so they can be edited to your heart's content. 

I have exported a number of things from PI this way and imported into DrawPlus, and now, AD. Works like a charm!!
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Bill

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 06:13:21 am »
 :thanks06: For explaining this to me,  :thumb3:
Hugz Bill

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)