Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Annoying action?  (Read 521 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Annoying action?
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:01:42 pm »
There's one thing about AD that just annoys the heck out of me!!  That is the alignment tool. I am constantly forgetting to press the Apply key.  It's the only tool I've found where you actually have to "accept" the changes before they are applied.  I forget to click that button almost every time.  Everything else is so automatic.  If you click on a style, it applies immediately.  If you click on any changes in the effects, they are automatically applied.  So, why not auto apply the alignment? ????  :elmo: ????

Offline Linda2

Re: Annoying action?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:14:01 pm »
Same here MaryLou, if I had a nickel for every time that happens to me I would be, well....a lot richer than I am now.  :laugh1:  I most times just say a swear word and do it again and accept. It is annoying.

Offline Nicky

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:00:24 pm »
Same here. Annoying is the word!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:15 am »
i use the align a lot and in equal measure forget to  OK the manky OK thing...

i am learning though ...i know i align things twice now...lol

Offline SherylC

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:28:07 am »
It should be automatic and yes, very annoying.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:46:17 am »
It would help get the job done if ya'all replied to my post on their board.   Just click the link on the top of our board to get to the Affinity forums, then click on the   Features Request board and my post is right near the top.  The subject is  Remove "okay" button on Alignment Panel.  If more than one person requests that, it just might happen. :bow:

SueHonstain

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:26:19 pm »
I joined with you on this MaryLou and I see at least one other did too! :elmo:

Offline San

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:01:21 pm »
I am glad I am not the only one that it annoys after so many times not clicking okay I  now find it is easier to right click on the object and use the alignment from there especially if you only need to align it Centre you do not have to click okay.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
True, but I usually want to align from the top, then evenly space, etc.  It should work the same either way.  I hope we get a lot of people commenting they don't like it.  :elmo:

Offline SherylC

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 01:39:14 am »
I've just registered and added a comment which is waiting to be approved. Thanks for starting this off MaryLou. 

Offline Linda2

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 04:06:25 am »
I commented right below you MaryLou.

Offline San

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 04:08:00 pm »
I tried what they posted in one of the replies

you right click the top toolbar and select "customize toolbar" and then you can drag the desired alignment option into your toolbar  :)
You just have to pick which one you want to use or as many as you like and then if you click anywhere in your work space it is done.

Offline Linda2

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:46:38 pm »
I did that too San, and right now I am a happy camper.  BTW...on that forum I am thisldo.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 09:15:21 pm »
The problem with that is there's not enough room to put all the options on the toolbar.  This does not happen on the MAC.  Also, if you right-click and select the alignment tools, it applies immediately.  Someone gave a long reason why it's like that but if it doesn't do that on the MAC, what he posted doesn't mean  anything. 

If you just hold your mouse over that icon, it says Arrange.  But, that's not what you do - you align. That has been misnamed in the interface.  There is another thread where they are talking about this same topic. Maybe it will be fixed in 1.6. :cheergirl:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 01:52:27 am »
i have been playing with this and have found  something you may want.

for me...
if i select my shapes and tweak all the settings i want in the align...then click one of the selected SHAPES
(not the workspace as suggested in the affinity forum) all the setting  apply
it must be one of the shapes you are aligning though it cant be any old shape... :laugh2:

--------------------------------------------------------

this is harder to explain i will give it my best shot ...

if you select one shape and align horizontally align top
your shape will shoot to the top of the page
if you click another shape in the workspace the original shape reverts to its original position and the shape selected shoots to the top
------------------------------------------------------
if after aligning a shape horizontally and to the top
you hold shift and click any other shape in the workspace  it aligns with the first shape you selected (depending if it is above or below in the layers  of your first choice)

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha  that was so hard  to write.... i have tried twice to make it clearer this is the best i got.
all question please write on a Teeny postcard and send them to Lin at Beginners Workshop ...lol

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)