Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Nice Feature!!  (Read 796 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Nice Feature!!
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:27:41 pm »
You guys might have already covered this but it's the first time I've seen it.  So, am posting it here for those like me who don't know. 

Download the image below and open it in Affinity Photo.
On the menu, select Filters\Colors\Erase White Paper

Your image will be left with a perfect transparent background!  Apparently, it only works with white backgrounds but what an awesome way to remove the background.  I'm always amazed at how far they've come with some of these programs.

Offline Nicky

Re: Nice Feature!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:37:27 am »
 :wow3: :wow3: :praise59: but MaryLou on mine that option is not there. I have Erase white paper and choose that!!!  :loveit:  :thanks06: :thanks06:

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 07:30:09 pm »
You're right, it is Erase and not Remove.  I fixed it.  I can blame it on this extreme heat - it muddles the brain!  :cancan:  I sure hope they put that in AD!! 

Offline Nicky

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 09:53:14 pm »
 :wow3: MaryLou I read how hot it is..... not for me

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:39:10 pm »
It's going to be this way until at least Saturday. They are expecting tomorrow (Wednesday) to be the hottest day yet!  It's also a bad air day which means I don't do much moving around.  I have the a/c, the ceiling fan, and a fan sitting down on the floor in the family room where I have my computer.  I keep the rest of the place closed off.  If it gets too bad, I still have one more floor stand fan I can drag out

I'm sure glad I was able to get fresh foods delivered.  Had a delicious omelet for dinner.  Filled it with orange and green bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, shredded mixed cheese, and Louisiana hot links that I chopped up.    Fast and easy, and all fresh!  The only thing that is worrying me is that my car won't start when I need it.  It hasn't been touched in at least 2 weeks.   Sure am NOT going out the door to see!!

Offline Nicky

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 12:33:45 am »
That omelet sounds delicious. Take care

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »
It really was delicious, Nicky!  I"m trying to fix food that is fast, yet nourishing.  I had a lot of stuff left over from yesterday so tonight, I made scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, black olives and cheese.   Spooned some salsa on top after it was cooked.  Was really good and used up a lot of little left-overs.  Took maybe 3 minutes to cook.    This heat wave is causing me to eat things that I wouldn't normally eat and I'm liking it!  We have about 3 more days of this heat, then it's supposed to cool down but tomorrow is supposed to be our hottest day yet.  If the heat doesn't kill me, I'll probably have a heart attack when I get my utility bill!!

Offline Nicky

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:21:49 am »
Good for you MaryLou We make omelettes like that too. A good way to use up veggies . We add broccoli also !

Offline SherylC

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:30 am »
You can do this by copying and pasting an image into the workspace too, without downloading. Very useful tip, thanks MaryLou.

Your Omelet sounds delicious and has given me an idea for a quick lunch today. I always add my toppings when the Omelet is almost set to retain the flavours.

Here's a healthy no flour, fat-free version of a quick Banana Omelet wrap. Mash up 1 Banana and mix with 1 beaten Egg. Place in a Pan with 1 tsp of oil added and gently fry until set. Sprinkle with a few drops of Lemon Juice, and a little Sweetner (or add chopped Nuts, Fruit, Honey, Cocoa Powder to the mix for example) then fold up and eat. Great for lunch boxes etc. 

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 04:36:38 pm »
You can do this by copying and pasting an image into the workspace too, without downloading. Very useful tip, thanks MaryLou. 

Sheryl, how does this remove the background if you copy and paste an image?   Maybe you meant copy the image I put there rather than downloading it?  I think most of us probably do it that way - or use the snipping tool to grab it.The important part of that image is how easily a white background was removed.  I'm thinking of the clipart I find that has white backgrounds.  Going to try this next time.   I do that 16 page newsletter each month and use a lot of free clipart and most of it has a white background.  Most times, it doesn't matter but when putting it on a background with color, yikes!  Definitely needs to be removed.

I can't try the banana recipe - don't have any. Forgot to put them on my shopping list along with strawberries!  Tonight, it's going to be a salad with left over mushrooms and whatever else I can find to put in it.  It's 110 right now and definitely not cooking weather!  I really wanted some porkchops today but forgot to take them out of the freezer.  Will have them tomorrow but cooked in the slow cooker, then served over rice.  It only takes 10 min to cook the rice.  I might cook it in the morning when it's in the 90's, then reheat in microwave in the evening.  Sure be glad when this is over with!!

Offline SherylC

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 11:26:52 am »
MaryLou...I just Right-clicked, copied and pasted the image into the workspace, then used the Erase White Paper to remove the background. it worked a treat.

Made a Banana Omelette after my lunch today...in fact I ate two! lol So good that I can't stop eating them. I sprinkled Candarel over one of them and spread Honey over the other.

I would give my all to find a butcher that sells good old fashioned Pork Chops but alas those days are long gone, both in terms of Butchers (few and far between) and good old Port Chops. All you can get now is Chops from the supermarket that contain a lot of water and hardly any taste.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 12:28:07 pm »
I do wish that feature was in AD!   It's such a nice one!!  It's so simple too!!!

Your omelets sound yummy! I have to remember to have them more often!!

You're so right about the porkchops!  They have absolutely no flavor of their own.  I've found cooling them in the crockpot helps a lot!!!  I just did that last week!  Here's the recipe that I used.  I only cooked 2 porkchops and omitted the chili paste - it's too hot!

Offline SherylC

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 11:56:52 am »
Yes me too, it's a neat feature.

I shall try that Pork Chop recipe MaryLou...it sounds full of flavour.  I'll buy some Pork Chops when I next visit the Supermarket. I try not to freeze meat if I can help it as I find freezing waters down the taste...could be just me though.

You probably worked out that I am a Banana fan and make simple Banana shakes a few times a week. 
I throw 2 bananas into my Ninja and fill to the max with Milk...usually Oat or Soya but Almond Milk is nice too. Skimmed Milk is too watery so never buy it.  I like little bits of Banana left in my shake so 5 seconds of blitzing is usually long enough. This makes 3-4 glasses of shake. Occasionally I like to add 2 tbs Honey and 2 tbs Oats just for a change.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 06:47:08 pm »
I'm a huge slow cooker fan.  I have 3 of them.  The larger one is for when I'm having my daughter and Jack over for a meal and the two smaller ones are for when I fix like 2 porkchops.  I do freeze my meat.  It really doesn't hurt the flavor.  My husband was a butcher and would buy large quantities of meat on payday, then package it up in meal size containers and freeze it.

I'm not really crazy about bananas yet, I buy two each time I go to the grocery store.  I love sliced bananas in my cereal and load the bottom of the bowl with slices when I have icecream with chocolate syrup.   I don't do the shakes and such.  I did at one time but got kind of burned out on them.  I'm also fussy about milk.  Fresh whole cow milk only.   :laugh2:

I found a nice slow cooler recipe for Salisbury steak so am going to have that for dinner Thursday when Rae and Jack come over. I have a few things that need to be fixed so I bribe them with food.  It works!!

Offline SherylC

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 12:01:33 pm »
Chopped Banana with Cereal is lovely MaryLou.  I use Lactose Free Cows Milk which tastes exactly the same as ordinary Cows Milk but has an Enzyme built into it. I can tolerate small amounts of ordinary Cows Milk but not much as I am Lactose Intolerant and too much makes me feel very unwell. I always have a carton of Soya or Rice Milk in the fridge which I enjoy by the glass or for making smoothies etc.

Your Salisbury Steak sounds nice. Is that a "Maryland" recipe?...I've always wanted to visit Baltimore.  We have a Salisbury here in the UK too...darn expensive though  due to Salisbury Cathedral (Britain's tallest spire) that brings in the tourists! lol

You have inspired me to dig out my Crock Pot American recipe book and start slow cooking again. Slow Cooking is not a huge method of cooking in the UK though it is becoming more popular. I first heard about it when I lived in Canada...was a popular cooking method there but had never heard of it in the UK back then. My stove has a slow cook facility and so does my pressure cooker, which is the one I prefer to use as it does a better job.  Pressure cooking is my favoured method of cooking and always turns out lovely stews, casseroles, jams and puddings, in a very short time. As well as pressure cooking, the cooker also turns into a Fish, Rice, Pasta cooker and makes yoghurt too.  Does everything except make a cup of tea! lol

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)