Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Webpage - SherylC  (Read 345 times)

Offline Teejay

Re: Webpage - SherylC
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 12:52:49 pm »
ohhhhhh have just found the stat i like it a lot ....  yeeeeeeeeeeee ....yawwwwwww

Offline SherylCTopic starter

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2017, 03:35:02 am »
Never thought of doing that MaryLou, thanks so much. :) 

Thanks Teejay. Are you adding stats to your pages too?

Offline Teejay

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2017, 04:12:00 am »
Oh yes you betcha
I set it up for x10hosting... Deleted that and set it up for the webnest...
Am fascinated by it.   Lol....its almost Hypnotic.... Lol

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:20 am »
Yes, it can be fun but very addictive! lol

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 01:31:48 am »
You guys are so funny when you get a new toy!!!   However, I have to admit, years ago, I was checking every day to see what it said!   After over 1.5 million, I decided that once a month or so was enough.  :laugh2: :laugh2:

What the counter is good for are sites like my Wishing Well site.  It only has DrawPlus tutorials.  So far this month, there have been 112 hits, none were mine, so that tells me people are still interested in those tuts.  As long as a reasonable amount of people visit, I'll leave it there but once the stats go way down, that's when it will go.  Been thinking about giving that site up.  They've gotten so darn expensive!!  Right now, it's almost $19 to renew.  I let the pirc-ecards go because that site wasn't getting more than a dozen hits per month and I think only 3 people were using it. PIRC holds its own nicely so it will be around for a while.  The tuts area is starting to pick up (I have a separate counter for the tuts), although some of those were mine.    This is the latest stat from today.

If anyone notices any more little booboos, please do let me know!! :hal04:

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 12:53:51 pm »
Love new toys and learning how to play them MaryLou!  :laugh8:

Yeah after 1.5 million I guess the odd one or two more doesn't quite cut the mustard! lol

Hosting organisations have put their prices up big time last few years as they've know many people have websites these days and need to host them.  Gone are the days where websites were only for those in the know....the anoraks.  :elmo:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 02:43:55 pm »
I haven't found the hosting costs to be too bad.  Back when we first started PIRC and were renting space, it was really expensive.  Fortunately for us, Gary Hansen always paid the biggest part of the "rent".  I just could't see charging people like most sites did back then so it was all volunteer.  We had many very generous people that kept things going.  What's been creeping up in cost are the domain fees!  They know they've got you in a tight spot.  You can't bargain for a cheaper domain name.  I had a total of 6 at one time but have slowly been letting them drop and an down to just 3 now.  I sort of have to keep pirc-forum and pircnet and I don't want to give up my wwell.net because that's where I keep all the odds and ends and hosted sites, etc.  These three run me around $60 per year right now. As long as they don't go up too much more, I can handle it. Everyone is looking for a way to make another dime from internet users.  It never ends! :elmo: :elmo:

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 05:06:21 am »
That's true. I have 2 domains...sheryls-place.co.uk (which is the new I created in PP and free with 1+1 Hosting) and my main domain which is Sheryls-place.com. I pay 2 yearly to keep that domain going but I have let others go.

Everyman and their dogs it seems are having to make cuts backs these days to try and beat rising costs every way way you turn.  What surprised me the most regarding hosting, is Go Daddy...they started very reasonably price then once caught on their line, they reel you in and the put the prices up quite considerably. By the time VAT is added it makes the cost far too expensive.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »
Yep!  I was very disappointed at how their prices have gone up.  My domains were only $9.99 when I bought then and now they have doubled in cost.  I don't think Godaddy controls that though.  ICAN which is the one who has control over domains is probably the ones who set the price.  I know they are the ones that make sure there is only ONE domain name in use.   But, everything has gotten so expensive.

My rent is going up by $20 this year and my HMO is going up by $9 and I don't know how much medicare will go up.  We are supposed to get a $28 increase in social security but even with that, I'm going backward by one dollar!!   Just can't seem to catch up.

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 06:55:15 am »
Well it's two steps forward and three back it seems on times with increasing costs.

There's been a freeze on pensions here for past few years I believe. I am not in that age category and will have to work until I am 66 yrs old before I can earn state pension. I have another 7.5 years to go officially.

The retirement aged got raised from 60 yrs to 66 in under 2 years.  What the government has done regarding this has caused an injustice and disadvantage to women over 50 yrs old. It's quite shocking and appalling as it seems they have got away with it. They should have tiered this increase so that it wouldn't have such a disaterous affect on women over 50 yrs old.  A few months ago I signed a petition which will initiate a debate in parliament if 100,00 signatures and received well in excess of that figure. As far as I am aware the debate hasn't happened yet, or if it has nothing came of it.  It's a disgrace! 

I don't think any woman aged 50 plus would expect to retire at 60 these days given that we are living longer but to increase the age from 60 to 66 in a short space of time (2 yrs max) particularly effecting women 50 plus is abhorrent. I've been paying two lots of tax (income tax and national insurance tax which totals around 30 - 35 percent  of my salary) into the coffers since the age of 15 yrs old and never claimed benefits.  Bah humbug to the lot of 'em the rotters! 

Offline Teejay

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 07:23:26 am »
i am totally in agreement with you shez .. i cant keep up with the retiring age
i think we should have a choice about it too...
i signed that petition ... and nothing came of it apparently
bandits the lot of them .

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 02:32:17 pm »
The retirement age here is the same for both male and female.  Currently, the full benefit age is 66 for people born in 1943-1954, and it will gradually rise to 67 for those born in 1960 or later.  I was lucky enough to get in just under the wire when it was still 65.

The government wants us all to be healthier so we live longer and when we reach those healthy goals, they make us work even longer because we are healthy!!  You just can NOT win!!! :yehaw: :yehaw: :yehaw:

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 11:23:05 am »
I think what the government spurts out to excuse their wrongdoings is nothing but pig swill. if you say the sky is Blue they would say no actually it''s Green, because.......because blah blah blah! lol

No issue with older people working longer but it should be a choice not a given. Having said that it does concern me that whilst older people are working longer younger people can't get a job. Some youngers do genuinely want to work and have have never been able to. That's absolutely unjust and unfair. Let's give the youngsters a chance of building a future for themselves just like the older generation were when they were younger. It was much easier to get a job back then, they were two a penny.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 01:13:02 pm »
but that is when we had big major industries

we had a hUGE textile industry in  the north  clothing was every where from making the cloth to making the clothes and moving it to all parts of the country and the world
Lluton was famous for their hats ... we had a huge shoe industry
my brother is a cabinet maker ... we still have the  some carpentry firms but not many
we made our wares .i worked in a jewelry shop and we had our own clock maker.... He was a real craftsman
we have none anymore
no one to  to teach no one to train its gone... all of it
we were once known as the nation of small shops and big industry...not anymore.
that is why there are no jobs ...firms like debenhams and marks and spencer  get their clobber made from elsewhere
small shops and big ones find it hard to compete with places like amazon... i dont know where it will all end ... and... i will get off my soapbox teeheehee....sorry.

Offline Linda R

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 04:39:08 pm »
It's a scary world anymore!  I worked for a major corporation here for 33 years.  Started when I was in high school and figured I was good until I could retire.  But then, they out sourced our jobs to Costa Rica.  They sent me there to train people and gave me a severance package.  I wasn't old enough to "retire" from the company and get their benefits.  Because I started so young there, I never went on to college.  Now, it's hard to get a job, even one that I was doing (accounts payable) because I don't have any degrees.  To "retire" at my official retirement age 66 years and 9 months, Is still aways off!  My hubby works at the same corporation but in manufacturing.  They have eliminated some of the mfg areas too.  I have my fingers crossed every day that they don't get rid of his dept too! 

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)