Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Webpage - SherylC  (Read 344 times)

Offline MaryLou

Re: Webpage - SherylC
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 07:23:54 pm »
Teejay is right.  Our manufacturing jobs have all been shipped out to other countries.  The adults, especially those without a string of degrees, are taking the jobs at places like MacDonalds and other fast food places that used to go to the kids.  Our auto industries all moved out.  Michigan was hit pretty hard with that little venture. We no longer have companies that make things.  When I was younger, I worked in a shirt factory. It didn't pay a lot, but it was a job. 

The people between 40 and 60 are the ones that were hurt the most.  They don't have enough education for the jobs available today and they're not old enough to retire so they end up taking a low paying job, sometimes even two jobs, to make ends meet.  Husbands and wives both have to work to keep food on the table.

I get so irritated when everything I buy is stamped, "Made in China" or some other foreign country.  On the upside, our Congress is making changes in the area of exports and imports that will no longer make it profitable for a company to take their business elsewhere. Our economy is starting to shift somewhat and a number of companies have come back.  I just hope it keeps going this way.   

When I was in my 50's, the company I worked for shut their doors.  That left me without a job and only me to support myself. I tried for over a year to get a job related to my degrees (computer programmer).  My resume was excellent, I passed the phone interview with flying colors but when it came time for the face-to-face interview....  it was a disaster.  Here I am, facing a 20 something years old who would have been my boss.  I could see the expression on their faces that they didn't think a grandma was suitable for the technical world.  Ended up going to work for the school district who also didn't want to hire me because I was way over qualified!  However, they had no choice - my test scores were the highest so they had to offer me the job first - which I took.  The pay was terrible - about $20 per month more than unemployment but it was a job I really liked.  I was able to use my skills to bring our schools up into the next century.  Not everyone gets that lucky though.  :girl1:

Offline SherylCTopic starter

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 11:55:52 am »
I think we are all right across the board. The UK was sold off by the conservative governments. Here in Wales (a small country), particularly the Welsh Valleys where Coal was a natural resource, livelihoods were destroyed after Margaret Thatcher and the rest of the Conservative Government sold off the Coal and Steel industries. Ripping apart the very fabric of Wales. Nowadays we are having to import Coal and Steel from Australia and China.
Mrs May, prior to becoming PM, tried selling off British Forests (belonging to the general public) to private Landlords...have you heard anything so ridiculous? After a lot of fuss made by the general public she was forced to change her mind....pheew that was a narrow escape. Lots of U-Turns where the cons are concerned.

Many years ago I lived up North, Bolton, Lancashire (Nr Manchester) where it was awash with working textile mills...all busy busy busy!  All those mills are now empty crumbling shells of their former years. 

It's tough for small businesses to make a living nowadays. The only stores that thrive are the giant superstores. They push out the small businesses some of which have been in the family for years and years.  Why these massive impersonal stores were allowed to get so darn big and powerful is anyone's guess. Many towns have become downtrodden and tired.  Now we have Sexminister (Westminister) and all the scandals going on there again with long established MPs having to quit their jobs due to their "indiscretions" being found out. Sad for youngsters to see what a terrible mixed up world in which we now live compared to how it used to be. 

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 01:09:02 pm »
LOL!!  I know it's not funny but you could be talking about the USA, just using different names.  I don't know that the big box stores have driven out the mom and pop stores though.  In a bad economy, people shop where they can get the best prices as well as a variety of choices.  They have also been good for providing jobs to those who lack the skills to get a high paying job and they hire the elderly and handicapped.  Mom and pop stores tend to hire family members.  Walmart alone employs 2.4 million people.  Imagine the chaos if they suddenly closed their doors. 

Our economy here is on the upside.  Unemployment is down to 4.1% which is the lowest that's been in over 17 years.  Our government is always in turmoil from the opposing parties.  Right now, there's a billionaire here in California who has sworn to have the President impeached. He has contributed 10 million dollars toward the cause.   I keep thinking how much good that money could do for those in need instead of building the coffers of the TV stations and those hired to make the videos.   It just never ends.   

I've stopped letting it bother me. It's been this way for many years and I don't expect to see it change in my lifetime.

There's also another billionaire in California who is trying to get California split into three separate states.  I'm all for that but don't like the lines they've drawn.   I would like to see San Francisco put in one of the other splits, not mine.   He tried this back in 2014 but was not successful.  He now has the go-ahead and just needs to get enough signatures to get it put on the ballot, then it will be up to the voters.  If that succeeds, it will require a vote by Congress.   Not sure how Congress settles it but we just might find out!!

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)