Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: help please  (Read 74 times)

Chris B

help please
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
 :doh: Hi everyone, I am trying to create an acorn and I have three separate layers of different colors.When I select them all and click add, they all merge into one layer but I lose my layer colors and they all merge to one color. I hope this makes sense, can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I've added before and after shots.
Thanks
Chris

Marilyn

Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
Hi Chris,
I'm hesitating here because I'm new to this vector stuff, but I think this is one question I may be able to answer. :/
As I understand it, the 'Add' command changes everything to one colour because it is creating a total shape.
You can 'group' your layers instead, which basically keeps them together as one image but with its relative parts still editable by expanding the group.
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will jump in soon with a better answer, and I will learn something as well, but as you are the first person I feel I may be able to help, I'm giving it a go.  :laugh8:

Chris B

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I was driving myself nuts lol. I've got to get PSP out of my head because this is a whole new ball game. Baby steps at first but I did get a basic Acorn made. I need to explore shadows next to give it some life. I won't tell you how long it took me to do this, let's just say I have a numb behind being sat so long. :laugh8: Now I have a hot date with an ironing board my laundry basket is overflowing lol. Thanks again
Chris.

Marilyn

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
No problem, Chris! Lovely little acorn you made.
You made me very happy that I was able to help someone else at last! Everyone has been helping 'me' so far!
I'm more used to pixels, vector is still a strange new world for me.  You can, once you have created your vector image, rasterise it and change to the pixel persona where you can shade and paint to your heart's content. I love Affinity for this.
Depends what you want to do with your image, I suppose! I sometimes need a true vector for my cutting machine, so once I use pixels it is no longer a vector. But if I am making an image to print etc, I can go party with the pixel brushes!
 :cancan:
Now go get that ironing done. I have just finished mine. :stars: :stars:

Important edit! (in case you have already read this). I understand it isn't necessary to rasterise, nor is it wise! :/ You can work on a copy in the pixel persona and leave your nodes in tact. Wow! I need to play some more!
 :stars:

Offline Lynn

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
An excellent answer, Marilyn. I would only add that you can ungroup the shapes you grouped as well. This is quite useful if you change your mind and want to go back and do something differently. Just right click on the group layer and ungroup will be listed as an option.

The ability to open a group in the Layers Panel to make changes to the shapes that are the components of the group that you mention is also very helpful (and is something I only learned about fairly recently here at PIRC).

Marilyn

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
My goodness Lynn, I have learned so much from you thus far!
I feel 'proper clever' that I managed to get something right!  :laugh2:

Forget anything I said about rasterising though - that was rubbish!  :laugh8:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
haaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahhahahahah     :laugh8: :laugh2:   ohhhhhh lordy you are so funny

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 03:32:13 PM »
Marilyn, Lynn is absolutely correct on this one.  I have never rasterized an image yet. I do all of my work in the Draw persona and in the Layers panel, I group things.  Like, if I make a blue eye. I group all the parts because later, I may need a green eye.  I can select a copy the blue eye, go to the blue layer and change it to green. Then, I save it to the Assets panel where I can use it many times over. 

It takes time to learn all the various features of a program.  I'll get to the pixel side eventually but for now, all I use it for is the brushes and maybe once in a while, the eraser.   I love my vectors!!
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline San

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:16:53 AM »
The only time I ever rasterize and image   I always duplicate my group images then rasterize the copy of my grouped image.

Marilyn

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
Yes, I was given a very kind, gentle hint about my rasterise booboo, and I'm thankful for it! I'm getting way too over-excited!
 :laugh8: :stars:
The 'raster sprite' keeps on covering herself with pixie-dust and jumps out in front of my eyes, especially when I'm struggling to concentrate!  She keeps saying 'Go on, click me - you know you want to' but I must learn to ignore her!
 :laugh8: :laugh8:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
I know there is a Rasterize command in AD but for the life of me, I don't know why anyone would want to use it or what it would be used for.  May have to do some research. There must be a reason for having it.

Rasterize: Lines, curves, shapes and text can be rasterized to create pixel layers. This is only a requirement if the appearance of complex vector gradients or effects need to be honored, particularly for print artwork.

Okay, so there it is... but I still don't get it!!  DUH!!  :laugh8: :laugh8:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Marilyn

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
 :laugh8: :laugh8:
Oh blimey, I've messed up poor Chris's thread so much already ...... I need to start a different one  - because I'm stuck again!  :laugh8:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)