Affinity Designer Forums : PIRC Facebook Page : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: For MaryLou - SherylC  (Read 394 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

For MaryLou - SherylC
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:42:40 am »
MaryLou, I am wondering if you and your family are alright?. Just heard tv news here that Sacramento is caught up in those dreadful fires in LA.

Apparently there are 15 fires blazing in Orange Co and firemen are stretched to keep them under control. Looks like hell on earth there, frightening!

Offline MaryLou

Re: For MaryLou - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:28:41 pm »
Sheryl, LA is about 400 miles away or a 6 hour drive from me so those aren't a problem.  But, there is a huge fire burning in Santa Rosa which is about 120 miles away and above us.  Sacramento is in a small valley and the smoke from the fires tend to linger over us like a cloud.  We can smell the smoke if we go outside.  There are actually 5 major fires burning at the moment.  We go through this every  year.

At least 2,000 homes and commercial facilities have been destroyed in the fires, which are burning in Napa, Sonoma, Solano, Lake, Nevada, Butte, Calaveras, Shasta, and Yuba counties. A fire station in the Fountaingrove area of Santa Rosa was among the ravaged structures.  They are raging all around us but we are safe.  Not a whole lot to burn in the valley.  These fires are all in the mountainous areas where there are many many trees, and such.  People are warned every year to keep the brush cleared away from their property but many don't listen. They like Living in those areas because of all the big beautiful trees but that's what's burning.

Anyway, other than more "bad air days" when seniors are warned to stay inside the house, things are fine in my area.  Thank for asking!   

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 04:12:09 am »
Oh I am glad to hear you are out of it and safe. The news showed the fires blazing in Santa Rosa.  I heard on this mornings news that the fires are abating somewhat. Alsos reported the loss of 20 people and no end of devestation and destruction left in the wake.  Awful. 

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:09:30 am »
We can stop holding our breath for you... I never realized until you posted shez that it was the time for the fires.... So scary...glad your ok ML .

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:59:22 am »
Only heard about the fires on last night's news but seems like they'vebeen ablaze for a while now.

Oh my goodness, despite our mixed weather, we are so luck in this country.  No venomous creatures, fires, serious earthquakes, Tsunamis......so lucky.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:57:14 am »
yep we are in undated with grey co;our but thats about it.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 08:32:51 am »
Glad you are alright ML. British Columbia was hit hard by fire this summer, but we on the Island were lucky and had only a couple, although we did get the smoke from the fires on the mainland. Take care of yourself.

Offline San

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:00:09 pm »
Glad you are a long way from the fires but when there is fires the smoke seems to travel a long distance.  It is worst when there is lost of lives due to fires and 20 is lot.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:02 pm »
Thanks all for your concern.  I've had a bit of trouble breathing today - use my nebulizer more than normal.  We are surrounded by fires and as soon as they get one under control, another one breaks out.  Another area had to evacuate today.   Nothing ever happens where I am though - nothing catastrophic - no snow, hardly any rain,no fires, no earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, etc.  All we get is that blazing hot sun for about 3 months in the summer. 

We get the aftermath of the fires.  The smoke hangs heavy over our heads and the ash dropout is very visible.  Here's the latest map of where the fires are.  You can see I'm right in the middle!

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:01 am »
Well, actually we do get arsonists setting fires in the mountains up in the valleys (my birthplace) occasionally. You can see and smell the smoke for miles. Fortunately the firefighters get it under control most of the time but it destroys the beautiful mountains. Some people take great joy from seeing beauty destroyed!

Offline Nicky

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 05:18:23 am »
Glad you are OK ML. We also had a bad fire season this summer and for a whole week the skies were grey because of the smoke. You could even smell the smoke a few times.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »
It's bad here today.  I was sitting on my porch talking to my brother on the cell phone but I had to go in because I was starting to cough.  It's too bad we don't have rain this time of year!!

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 01:24:45 am »
What about wearing those little face masks when you go outside MaryLou? Handy for filtering out particles etc. I always wear one when I venture into the attic to avoid breathing in dust.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »
I have a supply of those, Sheryl, but... I have trouble just taking a normal breath and when I put on one of those masks, I work twice as hard to breathe.  The solution is to simply not go outdoors.  That works for me most of the time.  I don't mind staying indoors - I have plenty to keep me busy.   I always seem to be running to catch up with myself!!

Was putting canned soda in the refrigerator last night when one can slipped and landed on the floor.  It somehow poked a hole in the can because there was a fine spray of root beer spewing all over my kitchen!  I grabbed it as fast as I could and tossed it inside the sink but my glass-top table was covered with spray as was my window.  Got the window cleaned after some work (that sugary stuff really sticks!)  and cleaned up a bit on the floor and table.  When I got up today, I was amazed at how much i missed cleaning!!  Re-cleaned the table but could still see where there were lots of spray spots.  Took a moment to realize that it was the underside of the glass that also needed cleaning.  Also noticed my "footies" were sort of sticking to the kitchen floor.  Thought I had cleaned it all up last night.  After I catch my breath from cleaning the other stuff, will have to mop the floor.

As they say, there is no rest for the wicked!!!    :hal00: :hal00: :hal00:

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 07:17:35 am »
Yes staying in is the best option if you can.

Oh my goodness, what a horrible thing to happen. Sugary stuff on glass is a nightmare to clean. It's surprising how far that sticky stuff squirts....anywhere and everywhere and then some! lol  Hope you managed to get it all cleaned up now...big job though!.

Have a lot of glass in my house...two glass coffee tables, glass windows in all of the doors, Mirrored chest of drawers in the lounge, glass patio doors...all are a nightmare  to clean and even after they have been cleaned (daily) smudges and marks seem to appears from nowhere. I could easily spend my entire day with a cloth in my hand just cleaning them! lol

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)